• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Following is an excerpt from a statement by Mohammad Hassan Rahimian, Khamenei's representative in the Iranian Martyr Foundation, which aired on Al-Manar TV on January 12, 2010.
    Mohammad Hassan Rahimian: The economic siege and everything they have done against us... "The plotting of evil will hem in only its authors." The outcome was the opposite. Before the war, we had no military equipment. We have manufactured missiles that allow us, when necessary, to replace (sic) Israel in its entirety with a big holocaust.
    MEMRI: Senior Iranian Official Mohammad Hassan Rahimian: Our Missiles Can Cause "Big Holocaust" in Israel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I hope that our leaders in Washington DC know how close things in the Middle East are to, literally, blowing up. The Russians supplying knowledge and materials to Iran. China supplying knowledge and materials to Iran. North Korea supplying knowledge and materials to Iran. If our leaders don't know, God help us all.

Iran has found a lot of confidence lately. Israel, for their claims of not having their missile shield in place for "several more years", I think, are lying and are ready for anything that Iran is going to throw their way.

I hear rocket and missile motors starting to spin up.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I hope that our leaders in Washington DC know how close things in the Middle East are to, literally, blowing up. The Russians supplying knowledge and materials to Iran. China supplying knowledge and materials to Iran. North Korea supplying knowledge and materials to Iran. If our leaders don't know, God help us all.

Iran has found a lot of confidence lately. Israel, for their claims of not having their missile shield in place for "several more years", I think, are lying and are ready for anything that Iran is going to throw their way.

I hear rocket and missile motors starting to spin up.

Lebanon and Turkey are improving ties and both are critizing Israel.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/politics_laws_and_2nd_amendment/70310-turkey_lebanon_lash_out_at_israel.html#post781923
    I think things are reaching a breaking point.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah, but the U.S. and EU economies are not going to do well with $400 a barrel oil during a glowing Middle East.

I thought Obama fixed this by wanting to talk to the Iranians? Can't he just invite them to a barbeque?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Nice. From the country whose president is a leading "holocaust denier" comes the group that wants to replace Israel with a great big holocaust. Poor choice of words?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The word 'holocaust' actually means: burnt offering - deriving from a greek word.

I don't know why exactly it has been used for the more appropriate words: mass murder and/or genocide.

I guess it's one of those things that become ingrained in the language and it changes the meaning of a word by popular perception.

So who is translating Rahimian's words and are they really getting an accurate description of the aggression Iran is spewing?

versuchstier147

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Indiana
    Iran is going to attack Israel. It is going to happen because not only are we going to let it happen - we are the ones pushing it. I don't think I'd go as far to say we have operatives personally picking up briefcases of information and flying it from place to another. But, we are tracking it, and making sure it does happen.

All the best technology of all the nations we're not so buddy-buddy with, will be used on a nation outside the US using all US defense equipment. It's called a field test. We've done it a million times before.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    The word 'holocaust' actually means: burnt offering - deriving from a greek word.

I don't know why exactly it has been used for the more appropriate words: mass murder and/or genocide.

I guess it's one of those things that become ingrained in the language and it changes the meaning of a word by popular perception.

So who is translating Rahimian's words and are they really getting an accurate description of the aggression Iran is spewing?
    That's really deep. I've been thinking about it all day. Caustic-capable of burning. Holocaust. I'm a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to vocabulary. I believe it was Sam Clemens who said something to the effect of "use the right word, not its second cousin." I'll think of the proper definition when I hear the word "holocaust" in the future.
    Language, by definition, is evolutionary. Just like how if someone called another person gay or queer it doesn't quite mean what it might mean now. :twocents:
    :dunno:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee Ermey as Sgt. Hartman
    That's really deep. I've been thinking about it all day. Caustic-capable of burning. Holocaust. I'm a bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to vocabulary. I believe it was Sam Clemens who said something to the effect of "use the right word, not its second cousin." I'll think of the proper definition when I hear the word "holocaust" in the future.

Quote: Originally Posted by cce1302
    :dunno:
    My response to LEaSH was that the definition of the word holocaust has evolved just like the word "gay."

Definition for the word holocaust used prior to 1940: what he posted... the Greek gender neutral word holokaustos means a "...sacrifice by fire, a burnt offering." Holos is the Greek word for whole. You can even hear the verbal similarities between how we say the word "whole" in English and how Greek people would say it.

Kaustos/kaiein is the Greek verb to burn. Oddly enough, this is the same word/translation from the Biblical concept of burnt sacrifices. The story of Abraham taking his son to sacrifice on the top of a mountain is a holocaust.

Similarly, one in the 1940s would use the word "gay" to describe one's positive and emotional expression of happiness or joy. Now it means THIS: :gheyhi:

My point was that words evolve and change. In my initial effort for clarity, I've only made things muddier than before. I probably just did the same thing again. DOH!

:):

Popular definition for the word holocaust after 1957 or so

Top Bottom