• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Just got back from applying for my LTCH in Indianapolis. They are out of paper applications, they only way to apply until they get in a new stock is online.

I'm hoping they ran out because of all the people who have been applying (and not laziness in reordering) and also that people are not disheartend when they are turned away.

Lucky for me, I just went outside to my car, got on my laptop, filled out the application and walked back inside. The same woman was behind the desk and was somewhat startled to see me back so quickly with a confirmation number...now the waiting begins.

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Howard County you have to fill it out online. It is the only way they except it. Now the good thing is that they have a computer in the lobby just for the application and it gets done much quicker.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just got back from applying for my LTCH in Indianapolis. They are out of paper applications, they only way to apply until they get in a new stock is online.

I'm hoping they ran out because of all the people who have been applying (and not laziness in reordering) and also that people are not disheartend when they are turned away.

Lucky for me, I just went outside to my car, got on my laptop, filled out the application and walked back inside. The same woman was behind the desk and was somewhat startled to see me back so quickly with a confirmation number...now the waiting begins.

Good job! Would have LOVED to seen her face! :)

Regards,

Jim

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    I should mention, I would have applied...oh, 3 months ago except that I have a crazy schedule and it has taken me awhile just to get a couple of extra hours in the afternoon to run downtown and take care of this. I am also a bit of a control freak and tend to plan my days and trips out in detail, so I actually did call ahead, finally got ahold of someone and confirmed that they were open and taking applications. Yet, when I arrived they said they had been out for two days! This is the part that annoyed me.

There were actually several other people who were turned away and told to apply online and come back...I was annoyed enough that I considered sitting outside with my laptop and allowing them all to use it to apply...but I bet IMPD might find that a little too much.

It was quit funny when I told here I applied online. She asked me how long ago, so I looked at my watch and said "3 minutes and 45 seconds ago." She had to log out and log back on in order to get my name to pop up. :laugh:

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    The transmission from computer to Department is about as fast as an email. It would have been nice for them to tell you when you called about filling it out online..

AWGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Indianapolis

I doubt if it is laziness that caused them to be out of paper applications because when I was in there about a week ago the lady behind the desk had a stack of them ready to be processed about three feet high. I guess people are getting scared and running down there to fill them out.

Look2thewest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Evansville
    How is this online only stuff gonna affect counties that have there own stuff to fill out. I know in Vandy county i had like a whole packet to fill out. Is this online stuff only for the state part?

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    On line application also helps out getting the correct information into their system. Many people have poor writing or printing skills. Not being able to read a hard to read application can and does cause headaches for all parties concerned. Being an engineer, I can print just fine. I just can't spell worth a darn sometimes. Go figure.

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Thats a bummer, with my computer skills it would take some waiting for me. Thankfully I got mine last year. Now Im an LEO so I dont need one but Im not taking any chances.

AWGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How is this online only stuff gonna affect counties that have there own stuff to fill out. I know in Vandy county i had like a whole packet to fill out. Is this online stuff only for the state part?

As far as I know right now it is only available in 5 counties (Boone, Howard, Marion, Miami, Wells). The online app is your basic info along with current employment, criminal record, etc... After I had filled it out and went downtown to pay all I had to do was fill out my fingerprint card and get my prints taken. I do not think that this will change any of the other counties way of doing it I guess it is just up to the local ISP which way they want the process done. I was told that the online app may expedite the process since your info is already in the system. If there is any truth to that I don't know but I guess I will find out soon enough.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    While I admit that I was annoyed that they didn't inform me over the phone that they didn't have any paper applications...it was rather amusing to me when I got to look at my watch and tell the woman I had put in the application online 3 minutes and 45 seconds ago and make her log out and then log back on so her computer would update. Is there anything that says you can't have a Blackberry or a laptop in that office? I could send my wife down and have her just fill it out right in front of the counter. One day the government might come out of the '70's and actually adopt reasonable practices in information processing.

So, has anyone ever written a letter to the powers that be about the unreasonable processing time for a LTCH? Part of my job is process design and from the information I have heard (though I can't really attest to its total accuracy), it sounds like they have a real screw ball system. So, naturally I feel like stirring up trouble and pointing out the governments waste of tax money.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Has anyone ever stopped to consider that they might be doing this to create an electronic database of gun owners? (Which I'm sure they were already doing anyway.)

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    Has anyone ever stopped to consider that they might be doing this to create an electronic database of gun owners? (Which I'm sure they were already doing anyway.)

It is possible but what makes you think they can't do the same through transfers, online purchases, NRA membership, google, etc.? If the government wants to know who has guns, it isn't that difficult for them to find out. They can know where I live and what I own, just so long as they know I won't go easy. Frankly, the more this becomes a concern, the more we should consider actually organizing.

Top Bottom