Out of state friend questions about competitions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Most stages for steel matches are setup to run a single stack mags gun 7+1 If you are using a double stack mag gun all you will need is 3 mags. Most stages you shoot 3 times so it’s nice to top off before each string of fire but not necessary. Please don’t get caught up in the gear race. Just get out there as soon as possible and have fun. The group that runs NPCCC are a great group of people. I would love to meet you out there but I’m out this year because of elbow surgery but I hope to see you out there next year.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    If that's the case, then a $30 holster will be worth the investment. Last thing I would want to do is something stupid and unsafe. Worst case, endangering other, best case, I don't get to enjoy the match. Peace of mind is worth the 30

my goal at any match is to have fun. stressing about swapping gear would be frustrating to say the least.

one thing to remember is that, at every match ive EVER been to, its a COLD range. no gun handling at your vehicle, leave it in the bag until you get to the SAFE AREA. then you can unbag and holster. and NO ammo handling in the safe area !!

no drugs or alcohol

once the match starts the RO will instruct you when you can load and make ready, and once you are finished, you'll unload and show that your weapon is clear, drop the slide and hammer then reholster.
    rimfire's and PCC's will get a "flag & bag" command.

most of the shooters ive been around at matches, are friendly and helpful. if you have questions, just ask.
    everyone was a new shooter at one time.
    sometimes we forget that fact.
    i remember how nervous and apprehensive i was at the 1st USPSA match i shot in '96..

one way i "de-stress" myself, is several days before the match,
    i check my guns over, clean as neccesary, and lube, and check my dots.
    check to see that i have MORE than enough ammo, and put it in my bag
    check all my mags, and lube them if needed and into the bag
    eye and ear protection in the bag
    toss in a clean towel
    rifle in a case
    holster/inner belt, outer belt and mag carriers
    everything zipped up and set aside.

small cooler with water, and a couple snacks,
    bug spray, and a rainsuit are all on my gun buggy.
    i keep an extra shirt and dry socks in the truck
    at this time of year, jacket, gloves, warm hat.

you may even want to get a couple of those hard warmer packs just in case.

the night before the match i make a "pile" of the stuff thats going with me. all i have to do the morning of the match is grab and go.

remember to have fun!

:cheers:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    my goal at any match is to have fun. stressing about swapping gear would be frustrating to say the least.

one thing to remember is that, at every match ive EVER been to, its a COLD range. no gun handling at your vehicle, leave it in the bag until you get to the SAFE AREA. then you can unbag and holster. and NO ammo handling in the safe area !!

no drugs or alcohol

once the match starts the RO will instruct you when you can load and make ready, and once you are finished, you'll unload and show that your weapon is clear, drop the slide and hammer then reholster.
    rimfire's and PCC's will get a "flag & bag" command.

most of the shooters ive been around at matches, are friendly and helpful. if you have questions, just ask.
    everyone was a new shooter at one time.
    sometimes we forget that fact.
    i remember how nervous and apprehensive i was at the 1st USPSA match i shot in '96..

one way i "de-stress" myself, is several days before the match,
    i check my guns over, clean as neccesary, and lube, and check my dots.
    check to see that i have MORE than enough ammo, and put it in my bag
    check all my mags, and lube them if needed and into the bag
    eye and ear protection in the bag
    toss in a clean towel
    rifle in a case
    holster/inner belt, outer belt and mag carriers
    everything zipped up and set aside.

small cooler with water, and a couple snacks,
    bug spray, and a rainsuit are all on my gun buggy.
    i keep an extra shirt and dry socks in the truck
    at this time of year, jacket, gloves, warm hat.

you may even want to get a couple of those hard warmer packs just in case.

the night before the match i make a "pile" of the stuff thats going with me. all i have to do the morning of the match is grab and go.

remember to have fun!

:cheers:

Thats pretty much how i get ready for range days. I always stage my gear together and put my wallet in my range bag. I have ruined my range trip multiple times for dumb things. Forgot all my mags, id, ammo, eyes. Really embarrassing when you take a buddy shooting for the first time and you firgot the ammo can containing all the ammo and all but one mag... As far as the extra gear. I always have an extra set of clothes and ppe for work. My go bag is in my trunk with anything i could need. I always keep targets, 3 sets of eyes and ears plus a baggy of foamies in my range bag in case someone else forgets theirs. I also always keep a case of water bottles in my car and snacks. I work 6 am until 9pm lately and i dont like taking breaks. So water a snacks are an absolute must. (Wifes idea) [(i love her)]
    I've noticed over the past several years, gun guys are the most polite, and generous folks around. I'm excited to get more involved.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Most stages for steel matches are setup to run a single stack mags gun 7+1 If you are using a double stack mag gun all you will need is 3 mags. Most stages you shoot 3 times so it’s nice to top off before each string of fire but not necessary. Please don’t get caught up in the gear race. Just get out there as soon as possible and have fun. The group that runs NPCCC are a great group of people. I would love to meet you out there but I’m out this year because of elbow surgery but I hope to see you out there next year.

i feel that starting at the end of the season will be good. I can try it out with the basic. Then next year I'll have a better idea of whats going on and what gear I'd like to use. This will give me more time to check things out and prep over the winter. Plus, the wives business is taking off so my christmas wish list has room to grow.. Her words not mine. maybe a nice gear set up would be nice. Lol
    Regardless, i just want to enjoy it, just like you mentioned. Id rather ask the questions now. Maybe make a contact that can show me the ropes. Take the anxiety out of the equation... Kinda

Top Bottom