• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattinindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Hello, I'm looking for some clarification on out of state ID requirement to process transfer. An out of state sender claims that his conceal carry permit and Government Identification card are sufficient for an IN dealer to process the background check and complete the FFL transfer. Is this correct/incorrect. Sender has concerns with sending Drivers License info. Please advise.

Thanks

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Technically the only thing a receiving FFL needs is the name and address of the person sending the firearm but many dealers want more (copy of DL) and some refuse to accept from an individual out of state, requiring the firearm to be shipped from a dealer.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    From the ATF quick reference

General Identification Requirements
    You MUST verify the identity of each non-licensee buyer by examining the person’s identification document(s) prior to transferring a firearm. A proper “identification document” is:
    1. A document containing the name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the person;
    2. A document that was made or issued by or under
    the authority of the U.S. Government, a State or local government, or a foreign government;
    3. A document that is of a type commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.
    Common examples of acceptable identification documents are a valid driver’s license or a valid State identification card issued in lieu of a driver’s license. Social security cards are not acceptable because they
    do not contain a residence address, date of birth, or photograph. However, a firearms buyer may be identified by any combination of documents which together contain all of the required information (as long as all the documents are Government issued): name, residence address, photograph, and date of birth.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    It's not required but almost any FFL is going to want to have a DL or State ID with a shipment from an individual. They want to be sure the firearm is from who it says its from when they enter it in their bound book. Your best bet is call the FFL you are using and ask them what they need. Law or not, if they won't take your transfer with what he sends you are SOL.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    From the ATF quick reference

General Identification Requirements
    You MUST verify the identity of each non-licensee buyer by examining the person’s identification document(s) prior to transferring a firearm. A proper “identification document” is:
    1. A document containing the name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the person;
    2. A document that was made or issued by or under
    the authority of the U.S. Government, a State or local government, or a foreign government;
    3. A document that is of a type commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.
    Common examples of acceptable identification documents are a valid driver’s license or a valid State identification card issued in lieu of a driver’s license. Social security cards are not acceptable because they
    do not contain a residence address, date of birth, or photograph. However, a firearms buyer may be identified by any combination of documents which together contain all of the required information (as long as all the documents are Government issued): name, residence address, photograph, and date of birth.

Sounded to me like OP was asking about seller, not buyer? Not sure that the FFL on the incoming end in IN needs anything from the seller (?) but guessing the FFL can require things above and beyond the law. The info you posted appears to be for a buyer.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Hello, I'm looking for some clarification on out of state ID requirement to process transfer. An out of state sender claims that his conceal carry permit and Government Identification card are sufficient for an IN dealer to process the background check and complete the FFL transfer. Is this correct/incorrect. Sender has concerns with sending Drivers License info. Please advise.

Thanks

Correct me if I am reading this wrong, but if the "sender" is the "buyer" and is out of state, and he says that you or an Indiana FFL can process a transfer directly to him, he is wrong and this would be an illegal transaction, "UNLESS" it includes an FFL in his state of residence.

On the other hand, if he is the seller, you are the buyer, and is shipping the firearm to your FFL, then this "could" be correct if your FFL will accept transfers from individuals. If your FFL doesn't, then you may need to find an FFL that will, or have him have an FFL on his end, ship to your FFL.

Last edited:

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I read the question the same manner the WOLMAN did. I read the sender to be the buyer. He must have a FFL dealer in his state handle the transaction. The interstate transfer must be FFL to FFL. Otherwise this would be an illegal transaction and every FFL should tell you this immediately.

If I missed the point of the question and the sender is the seller. WEBSNYPER post the correct information from the BATFE Quick Reference.

An out of state CCW does not always count as a form of identification as it may not contain all the required information. My advice let a FFL handle the transfer for you and he or she can inform the sender of what documentation is required and the the laws regarding interstate firearm sales.

A lot of great replies - looks like several of you have been done this road before. Bravo Zulu!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Technically the only thing a receiving FFL needs is the name and address of the person sending the firearm but many dealers want more (copy of DL) and some refuse to accept from an individual out of state, requiring the firearm to be shipped from a dealer.

The name and address of the transferor is all I require. The rest is belt & suspenders stuff. However, certain states require more (California, for example).

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I require that the seller include their FFL if they have one. Otherwise, they must enclose a current legal document identifying themselves as the seller of the firearm with contact information. Copy of Drivers license, utility bills, etc. I believe it's federal law that the local retail business or receiving FFL maintain a record with the information. Anyway, the store I use want accept a shipment without it.

Top Bottom