Outdoor range between Chesterton & Valpo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Anybody from northwest Indiana know about a public range that is supposedly off of 'Old 49' halfway between Chesterton & Valpo?

Or any other outdoor ranges nearby? Thanks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    It's not "halfway" between Chesterton and Valpo, it's just south of Chesterton. Take 49 south from Chesterton and turn east at Old 49 where it intersects with 49, right near where 49 crosses the toll road (I-90).

I am not a member, but have shot club matches there, and my uncle is a member. Some people have complained because there are work requirements and I think you need a sponsor to get in. They require you to mow or clean up or help set up for a match a few hours every year. It keeps people from thinking that for $100 a year they can leave their trash in the parking lot and abuse the ranges.

If I still lived in that area I would be a member, because despite the cost and work, it's a nice facility with a friendly group of guys. The admission process may be a hassle, but hopefully it weeds out the yahoos.

If you want to check it out, go to one of their matches. Club matches at almost all ranges are open to the public. You can go to watch or go and shoot. They shoot IDPA, USPSA (IPSC), and steel. If you go to shoot, since you are new, arrive a few minutes early and find the guy who is collecting the match fee. Inform him you are new and he will introduce you to some veterans who will show you the ropes and make you feel at home. It's a nice way to meet new people and make sure you don't inadvertantly break a club rule you were unaware of.

Good luck.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    It's not "halfway" between Chesterton and Valpo, it's just south of Chesterton. Take 49 south from Chesterton and turn east at Old 49 where it intersects with 49, right near where 49 crosses the toll road (I-90).

I am not a member, but have shot club matches there, and my uncle is a member. Some people have complained because there are work requirements and I think you need a sponsor to get in. They require you to mow or clean up or help set up for a match a few hours every year. It keeps people from thinking that for $100 a year they can leave their trash in the parking lot and abuse the ranges.

If I still lived in that area I would be a member, because despite the cost and work, it's a nice facility with a friendly group of guys. The admission process may be a hassle, but hopefully it weeds out the yahoos.

If you want to check it out, go to one of their matches. Club matches at almost all ranges are open to the public. You can go to watch or go and shoot. They shoot IDPA, USPSA (IPSC), and steel. If you go to shoot, since you are new, arrive a few minutes early and find the guy who is collecting the match fee. Inform him you are new and he will introduce you to some veterans who will show you the ropes and make you feel at home. It's a nice way to meet new people and make sure you don't inadvertantly break a club rule you were unaware of.

Good luck.

does this place have an indoor range also? I heard there was a private club around here with all the same rules and @ $300 year dues. You have to "Qualify" in order to get a key. Also there is a doggy country club out here. Super nice place reasonable dues. $5 day pass. Training area benches and small dog area as well.

That place in Chesterton is close. Have to force myself to check it out soon.
    Thanks for the info.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Outdoor Range

I am a member of NPCCC WWW.northportercountycc.org and there is only outdoor ranges, 1-trap/3-pistol /1-100 yard rifle. Different matches almost every weekend. Membership isn't so bad with some volunteer work and dues to keep up the range. You don't need to be a member to shoot in the matches. With membership you can shoot during the week from 9:00 A.M. to half hour before dark. Yes there are rules to follow, but not bad. Best to check out the website.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    There is also the Valparaiso Pistol and Rifle Club. I was a member a LONG time ago, but have been kicking around joining again. I thing the range is near 250W and 500S near Hebron. I know they have moved at least twice since i was a member 30 years ago. Back then they had an indoor range on the second floor of a building in downtown Valpo.

JeremyVG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    does this place have an indoor range also? I heard there was a private club around here with all the same rules and @ $300 year dues. You have to "Qualify" in order to get a key. Also there is a doggy country club out here. Super nice place reasonable dues. $5 day pass. Training area benches and small dog area as well.

That place in Chesterton is close. Have to force myself to check it out soon.
    Thanks for the info.

You may be thinking of Michigan City Rifle Club. If so, what you've heard about the dues is false. Also, the "qualify" thing is to make certain that potential members have SOME idea of how to handle a firearm. It's more participation than shooting for a score.

Michigan City Rifle Club

I'm a Division Leader at MCRC. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Jeremy

Top Bottom