• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Well, for one thing, I'm nowhere near qualified (or motivated) to pen anything other than my work reports this morning. I just don't see the need to believe that qualities like individualism are "uniquely American", or that America is the best darn country ever. I always felt cheated by my public school education (who doesn't, huh?) and one of the particular things that aggravates me the most is that kind of excessive, unnecessary, and at times totally made up, misremembering of history.

And your just miffed because that other guy called your author on his made-up quote.

Just fyi, I'm the author. And I am qualified and motivated to pen things other than work reports. And, if you'll notice, the article starts, "Legend has it . . ." because the quote is believed to be mythical rather than factual. I don't think that someone else pointing out that the quote I referred to as a "legend" is, in fact, a legend counts as calling me out.

More to the point, it is both accurate and fair to say that Americans historically displayed a unique cultural reverence for self-reliance and individualism. Saying this doesn't minimize quests for freedom that other peoples have engaged it. The article isn't about the efforts of other nations to maintain the burdens of self-governance. It's about ours.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Just fyi, I'm the author. And I am qualified and motivated to pen things other than work reports. And, if you'll notice, the article starts, "Legend has it . . ." because the quote is believed to be mythical rather than factual. I don't think that someone else pointing out that the quote I referred to as a "legend" is, in fact, a legend counts as calling me out.

More to the point, it is both accurate and fair to say that Americans historically displayed a unique cultural reverence for self-reliance and individualism. Saying this doesn't minimize quests for freedom that other peoples have engaged it. The article isn't about the efforts of other nations to maintain the burdens of self-governance. It's about ours.

You're right, and I do apologize. I bit on that one thing and didn't give the rest of the article a proper read, and then I kindof stuck my foot in my mouth ( I do that).

I did read it through this afternoon. To be honest, I hadn't thought much before about the movement to get rid of the idea and the attitude in addition to, or maybe independently of getting rid of the guns. Myself, I need to read more and write less.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Apologies on my part; my response was too harsh. Thanks for reading the article.

And I think we could all benefit from reading more. I know I definitely could.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Thank you for the link and the work to put it together.
    You are spot on with the reason for gun control.

I've passed the link to friends with a request to share it with all their friends.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I immediately thought of that same group of Americans. One day we will return to being a nation of rriflemen. Great read. I will repost this tomorrow so that others may enjoy.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    And your just miffed because that other guy called your author on his made-up quote.

What are you talking about? Its been a while since I was in this thread and don't recall the incident that you so specifically refer to. "that other guy"?

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    It is not firearms these politicians hate with such vehemence–after all, hating a piece of iron cannot be contemplated seriously–but rather the self-reliance symbolized by firearms. Many of those who hate “guns” do not really seek to ban guns per se, but rather the kind man who neither wants, nor needs, nor can be compelled to accept their vision of an integrated, dependent society.

This is by far the best way to describe our current situation. I am appalled that we as americans have adopted so many liberal topics as to allow this kind of leadership (that of the past 20+ years) to dominate and desecrate our way of life. Freedom is as powerful as knowledge. Both bring power AND Responsibility. BOTH can condemn a nation if excited by one of poor or negative ambition.

Top Bottom