• ...and so much more!
  • SAMSON

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Indy, Southside
    Ex-Marine John Lovell eating his meal in a Subway shop in Fort Lauderdale, Florida had his meal interrupted by two thugs intending to rob the place. Former Marine helo pilot for the president was forced into a restroom to be robbed as well. At this point he drew his weapon and dispatched one of the robbers with a head and centermass doubletap and severely wounded the other with a centermas shot. Lovell is 71 years of age and works out daily. Nice to see the good guys come out on top.:patriot:

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Saw this on television within the last week or so. Makes you think. Seriously. Makes you carry always. Even at the Subway sandwich shop.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Ex-Marine John Lovell eating his meal in a Subway shop in Fort Lauderdale, Florida had his meal interrupted by two thugs intending to rob the place. Former Marine helo pilot for the president was forced into a restroom to be robbed as well. At this point he drew his weapon and dispatched one of the robbers with a head and centermass doubletap and severely wounded the other with a centermas shot. Lovell is 71 years of age and works out daily. Nice to see the good guys come out on top.:patriot:

Great story! But, and I am surprised that INGO jarheads didn't catch this one yet, there is no such thing as an EX Marine.... only FORMER Marines. I got a 10 minute speech once from my stepdad because I made that same grammatical error. Thanks for the posting though, always good to read stories like that!:patriot:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    same

Very nice story! You never know when something is gonna happen. That's why I always carry everywhere. Whether my family thinks I'm stupid or not.
    i hear it all the time (why you got that ,we are only going to see family, and so on)i just go on with my business.im going to show them this to prove my point.:yesway: for the 71 year old marine:patriot:

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I think we all agree, the robbers gambled and lost. But has anyone seen any followup with this story? Has the shooter had any legal issues to deal with (i.e. arrest or gun confiscation) or was he let go without any charges. Most of the time the story doesn't end there.

Turgon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Former Marine's Actions Called Into Question

Family Of Subway Robbery Suspect Says Customer Shouldn't Have Pulled Trigger

POSTED: Friday, June 29, 2007
    Rosa Jones says a retired Marine shouldn't have shot her grandson while they attempted to rob a Subway sandwich shop.

PLANTATION, Fla. -- The family of one of the men who was shot by a retired United States Marine while they attempted to rob a Subway sandwich shop said the customer shouldn't have pulled the trigger.
    Donicio Arrindell

According to Plantation police, two armed men barged into the Subway at 1949 Pine Island Road shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday, demanding money from the employee behind the counter. When they tried to force John Lovell into the bathroom, he pulled out a gun and shot both men, police said.Donicio Arrindell, 22, was shot in the head and later died at the hospital. Fredrick Gadson, 21, was shot in the chest and ran from the Subway, but police found him in hiding in some bushes on the property of a nearby BankAtlantic.Lovell, 71, was the lone customer at the time. Police said he had a concealed weapons permit.

Gadson's grandparents told Local 10 on Thursday that Lovell was wrong for pulling the trigger."He should not have taken the law in his hands," said Rosa Jones, Gadson's grandmother.Her husband, Ivory Jones, also condemned the media for its portrayal of Lovell's actions."I don't condone what they did, (but) I definitely don't condone the news people making him out to seem like they're making a hero out of this man because he shot somebody down," he said.But Lovell's neighbor said he made the right decision."He did the right thing," said Wendi Hill. "I mean, I was glad that it was them that got shot and not him."Police said Lovell, a retired Marine, wouldn't be charged.

Never fails ... It was the victims fault he was forced to defend himself and not the perp that was armed and committing the crime on the law-abiding citizen.:draw:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    There was an article about this in American Handgunner a couple months ago. Great read.

Not only did they force Mr. Lovell and the Manager into the bathroom, the thugs made them get down on the floor. Lovell felt this was a sign that they weren't going to leave any witnesses, and that is when he drew. Up until then, he cooperated.

Aha, found it! It is available as a .pdf...GREAT read.

American Handgunner July/August 2009

Edit: That is the whole issue apparently...

Top Bottom