• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I came across this on another gun forum.

The appeal of the previous felony conviction: https://www.leagle.com/decision/incaco20101214009

Here is a brief synopsis:

The guy was on the Board of Directors of a mutually owned water company that was for the benefit of his residential neighborhood. He and two others on the board used their powers to give themselves compensation and get a well drilled on his land courtesy of the water company. They were caught, and plead guilty. A part of the plea agreement was that they would pay restitution within 6 months and in exchange they would only have misdemeanors on their record. They were late in payment by one week, so the court punished them by putting felonies on their record. Here is the what the trial court had to say about it:

The trial court advised appellants, "[Y]ou lost out on your opportunity to have it reduced [to] a misdemeanor. . . . I am not going to give you jail time except for one day book and release. That was the heart of the deal. You were about a week late in paying off the [restitution] amount and you are punished for that by having felonies on your criminal history as opposed to misdemeanors." The trial court indicated it believed appellants had attempted to take advantage of the trial court after it had "undercut the D.A. . . ." to make appellants a misdemeanor offer. The trial court cautioned appellants: "The games I feel you are playing in civil court, you are playing in criminal court. In civil court you don't pay the financial judgment and there is more litigation. In criminal court you don't do what I tell you, I can send you to prison."

Basically the guy did a scum-bag thing, then played games with the wrong court. He's certainly a money grubber, but it doesn't really look like he was a threat to anyone and he did pay the restitution. I would be willing to bet that the "anonymous tip" that led to the seizure was by one of his neighbors that was still pissed off about it all. It seems like a high price to pay for being one week late on a payment, but it's also kind of hard to have much sympathy for him either.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I came across this on another gun forum.

The appeal of the previous felony conviction: https://www.leagle.com/decision/incaco20101214009

Here is a brief synopsis:

The guy was on the Board of Directors of a mutually owned water company that was for the benefit of his residential neighborhood. He and two others on the board used their powers to give themselves compensation and get a well drilled on his land courtesy of the water company. They were caught, and plead guilty. A part of the plea agreement was that they would pay restitution within 6 months and in exchange they would only have misdemeanors on their record. They were late in payment by one week, so the court punished them by putting felonies on their record. Here is the what the trial court had to say about it:

The trial court advised appellants, "[Y]ou lost out on your opportunity to have it reduced [to] a misdemeanor. . . . I am not going to give you jail time except for one day book and release. That was the heart of the deal. You were about a week late in paying off the [restitution] amount and you are punished for that by having felonies on your criminal history as opposed to misdemeanors." The trial court indicated it believed appellants had attempted to take advantage of the trial court after it had "undercut the D.A. . . ." to make appellants a misdemeanor offer. The trial court cautioned appellants: "The games I feel you are playing in civil court, you are playing in criminal court. In civil court you don't pay the financial judgment and there is more litigation. In criminal court you don't do what I tell you, I can send you to prison."

Basically the guy did a scum-bag thing, then played games with the wrong court. He's certainly a money grubber, but it doesn't really look like he was a threat to anyone and he did pay the restitution. I would be willing to bet that the "anonymous tip" that led to the seizure was by one of his neighbors that was still pissed off about it all. It seems like a high price to pay for being one week late on a payment, but it's also kind of hard to have much sympathy for him either.
    My thought is "Mess with the bull...get the horns!"

Top Bottom