• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    I currently own a Stoeger STF3000, which has been a good gun. Shot sporting clays with it a couple times this summer. But, I have been looking at the Savage/Stevens 512 Gold Wing. Any suggestions for a second (budget) over/under?

abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Probably not very high right now (recently purchased a Mossberg 500). WIll probably look to the used forum below. I know the Stevens runs between $500 and $600 new. So, hopefully I can find one for a little less that is used (gently).

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I've heard pretty good things, but cannot confirm, on the Mossberg Sporting Clays. UPC Code: 884110754431

CZ also has the Ringneck if you can find one used. Most CZ long gun shooters are devotees. I don't have a shotgun, but I have one of their 527 carbines which would be the last long gun I'd ever sell, if forced.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a CZ Canvasback. I like it and normally I want the best but I just could not bring myself to spend 1000's of dollars on a shotgun that I won't shoot a lot. Paid $600.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I've been using the Stoeger Condor Competition for trap shooting for the past 3 years. It's an O/U with adjustable comb, 30" barrels and screw in chokes. Their web page lists the suggested list price at $687 but I bet you could find it for less. Mine was $610 out the door at Dick's and they special ordered it for me. I did have some minor issues with the inside of the stock rubbing the firing pin spring causing misfires but that was easily fixed. Once I used a pattern board to get the POI to be where I was looking (thats why an adjustable comb) it's performed well. No, it will never have the fit/finish of a Browning, Barretta or such but it is a servicable gun and will smoke 'em if I do my part.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Stevens is a great old name applied to a turkish shotgun. They are not a priemium gun but seem to be reasonably reliable. The stock shape (ie: rise at comb, shape of comb, proportion) is the more modern style that fits the average man pretty well and does not give that slap to the cheek like some of the old styled gun stocks.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    over/under

Probably not very high right now (recently purchased a Mossberg 500). WIll probably look to the used forum below. I know the Stevens runs between $500 and $600 new. So, hopefully I can find one for a little less that is used (gently).

i would suggest you give serious consideration to one of the Browning over/unders. Look for a used (but not abused) one. You find a much greater selection of barrel lengths, stocks, and rib configurations based on trap, skeet, and sporting clays models. You'll probably have to spend around $1,000 for a good used gun.

If you're close to Indianapolis go to Indiana Gun Club. They'll let you shoot a used gun on their ranges. They have skeet, trap, and sporting clays. They have a large selection of used shotguns.

The Stevens may be less expensive - but may very well be more expensive in the long run. They are not proven to hold up to being shot a lot ( which often happens shooting sporting clays ) and may be difficult to find parts and someone to repair it.

Good luck with your search

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Ruger Red Label. :rockwoot:

I always wanted a Ruger Red Label O/U but they are a little pricey. When I have half the money I need for one I find something else I can buy right away and the Red Label goes back to the "someday" list. I need to force myself to just wait until I can afford one. They were discontinued in 2011 but released a new version recently.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Try before you buy.
    Some shoot "flat" others don't.
    My Citori Magnum was beautiful, older model too..........and it hit too high for my old Remington 870/1100 upbringing.
    My buddy's Red Label was flat but never did fit me stock wise as good as I wanted.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had the "Sporting Clays" edition Red Label. I liked the look, the fit and finish, the feel. I loved that it was made in America. Like all light guns, it had a pretty solid recoil, but I was young and strong so it didn't bother me, it handled quick and effortlessly. It also shot flat, like rifle flat. The clay would have to be hidden by the barrel when you pulled the trigger or you would shoot under it. That is no problem if that is the only gun you have, as you get used to it. The problem was is that my trap gun was 80/20 POI and my skeet gun was 60/40, so if I shot the Red label a lot, I would shoot way over the targets when I switched guns.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I REALLY liked my Citori for feel, look and everything............but that hitting way high.
    That's why I run a beater 1100 in the goose field now (and dove and turkey). It's pretty flat but not low.
    IIRC they made a Sporting Hunter model, a clays and game Citori offered with 2 different rib heights.
    One of those might have been just the ticket (or not).

abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hey, I really appreciate everyone's imput. When I bought the Stoeger there was a gun shop around Indy that had a CZ not a whole lot more money, and I've heard really good things about them. Don't get me wrong, I love my Stoeger. I think I'll put a midbead on it and save up for a used CZ or (if possible) Red Label.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I vote for ruger red label. save a little more and get a quality gun. When i got my ruger sporting clays model i never looked back. i hunt alot of pheasants. go out to south dakota and all over bird hunting. it was hard to go to only two shells but i love the gun and im confident with it. dropped many a wild roosters with my red label. and many, many more clay birds.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The nice thing about hunting with a select trigger O/U is you can put two different choke tubes in it. Carry an improved cylinder in the first barrel for the fast close ones that pop up and and a full or extra full choke for the farther shots. Maybe even carry #6 shot in once barrel and #4 in the other.

The bad thing about hunting with really nice shotgun is that any scratch will be painful. I try to not even scratch my Mossberg slug gun, but it sometimes happens in the field.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I duck hunted, we always tried to unload on the ducks as the flew past. First 2 3/4", then 2 3/4" magnum, then 3" mag. :)

lubemupski

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Fishers
    I think it depends on how much you are planning on using it. I got into sporting clays and saved up to buy a Browning Citori 625 sporting from Indiana Gun Club, then proceeded to run more than 7000 rounds through in the first year I owned it. It is absolutely my favorite firearm due to fit, finish and reliability. I would rather have one nicer gun than two cheaper.

Top Bottom