• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The U.S. prison population is astounding. We have more people incarcerated than any other country. We have almost 1% of the overall population locked up, and 1 in 28 kids have a parent in prison. Well over 2 million people are in prison in the United States.

The U.S. has more people locked up for non-violent drug offenses, than all offenders combined in all of Europe. We must decrease the amount of non-violent offenses we arrest people for.

One in 28 US kids has a parent in prison: study | Raw Story

prison_080605_mn.jpg

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The reason for the number of inmates is simple. Too many people in this country buy in to the idea that you can cut down on crime by making more things illegal. It's a ridiculous line of reasoning, based on the twin ideas that those who break the law will obey the law, and the next new law will really fix things.

Now give the governor a harumph!

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I happen to be the "1" of 28 that either has or have. Here's some more facts for you to read. Roughly 10% of Society is left-handed. Roughly 10% of males between 20-40 years old aren't Circumcised. I'm all of the above so I guess I'm an Oddball.

Son of Liberty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    The reason for the number of inmates is simple. Too many people in this country buy in to the idea that you can cut down on crime by making more things illegal. It's a ridiculous line of reasoning, based on the twin ideas that those who break the law will obey the law, and the next new law will really fix things.

True. But some laws should and need to be broken, Im sure that you don't follow any of the forbbiden sex laws that exist, but they are on the books.

I also think especially in Americans, it's in our blood, to disobey what we are told. We are a country of rebels afterall.:D

The reason for the overcrowded prisons is all the money that is being made for people being locked up. Private prisons making money from taxpayers.

Hell in Marion county you knew for sure that you were there for twelve hours at least. They get X amout of money for every meal served per inmate.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    To me, the solution is simple. Even if you agree with drug laws, stop imprisoning drug offenders. There is no reason to be putting non violent offenders in prison. In my mind, there are two reasons to imprison someone. 1: Protect society. 2: Punish them. Drug offenders often need help getting off drugs, punishing them for the act is not going to change them. At most, drug offenders should receive mandatory rehab. :twocents:

Penske

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    I wonder what percent are on death row I clear them out. Why do we pay for these people to set there for years.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    To me, the solution is simple. Even if you agree with drug laws, stop imprisoning drug offenders. There is no reason to be putting non violent offenders in prison. In my mind, there are two reasons to imprison someone. 1: Protect society. 2: Punish them. Drug offenders often need help getting off drugs, punishing them for the act is not going to change them. At most, drug offenders should receive mandatory rehab. :twocents:

Look at all of the Inmates on Death Row with no appeals left. Save the Tax Payer's money, drag their rearends outside and feed them a load of Buckshot. It's humane, they won't feel, or hear anything. Same goes for Inmates serving life without parole..

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Look at all of the Inmates on Death Row with no appeals left. Save the Tax Payer's money, drag their rearends outside and feed them a load of Buckshot. It's humane, they won't feel, or hear anything. Same goes for Inmates serving life without parole..

Yes I agree very much. One of my professors told me that capital punishment actually costs more than keeping an inmate in prison for life. Of course, she left out the fact that death row inmates are often there for a minimum of ten years (usually longer) and about three times as much is spent per inmate on death row as compared to the general inmate population.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Im sure that you don't follow any of the forbbiden sex laws that exist, but they are on the books.

Forbidden sex laws? What forbidden sex laws?

We did away with sodomy during recodification in '76. Are you talking about the Southern states or such places like that?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I like how the article ties the kids into it, like it makes it all that worse.

who cares, adults know the laws that govern us. Dont want to go to jail, dont break the laws.

Want to dance in the gray areas, accept the consequences like a man.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    LETS NOT MAKE IT AN OK PLACE TO GO .

Sheriff Joe's Heartbreak Hotel
    Angola Prison Farm in Louisiana
    Cool Hand Luke

IMO they should all be self supporting.
    Labor camps just like they use to be . No more lounging around ,playing cards blah blah blah. Work their butts off , and they won't have time to play butt darts. :twocents:

I worked in the prison control industry for about 7 years . These documentries on NATGEO , A&E , don't show the real stories . Maybe they should show all the guys walking around with diapers on . That might change some peoples mind about things

Last edited:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010

Im addicted to nice guns. Business has been slow the last year so Im going to start robbing banks. I know its illegal but Im addicted to guns.

Ill take rehab, paid for by you when I get caught please.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    It's unfortunate that the Law has come to be so tyrannical, and infringing on personal rights.

It's utterly pathetic and disgusting that some people have to go to jail for Child support, or writing afew bad checks. Yet we continue to house, feed and support career criminals like gangs, rapist, molesters & killers.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I never understood jailing for not paying child support...
    Who is the brainiac that thought that one up? Let's lock em up, so they might lose the only job they could get to even attempt to pay child support with. How is someone supposed to work and make money to pay child support if they are locked up for not paying?:n00b:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I never understood jailing for not paying child support...
    Who is the brainiac that thought that one up? Let's lock em up, so they might lose the only job they could get to even attempt to pay child support with. How is someone supposed to work and make money to pay child support if they are locked up for not paying?:n00b:

The one guy that I did know that was put in jail for that was an avid drug user and behind 10 plus years on child support.

I think he had 20 to 25 chances too many to get his life straight.

Top Bottom