• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I thought some folks may find this interesting or even useful.

I've got a Crossbreed Superslide for my strong-side carry and an Uncle Mike's Instructor's Belt that is several sizes larger than I need. I started to snake the belt around the holster in reverse of how it normally would be. Instead of going behind the gun, I have it on the outside of the gun. I've found that this pulls the entire rig closer to my body and also increases retention. Here's an awful picture of what I mean.

Belt on Outside.jpg

I like OWB's vs. IWB's for comfort and accessibility. I also like the hybrid concept of Kydex and leather for comfort against the body. However, the leather wears and becomes flexible over time causing the holster to fall away from the body. Doing the above solves this problem pretty well for me. The increased retention due to the pressure of the belt against the Kydex and gun is a plus. It's not so much that it makes drawing difficult but it simply increases retention.

You may find it to do the same for you. Good luck.

Take care and BE SAFE!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd say that the tension needed to cinch the belt tight enough to not sag will probably put too much tension on the holster and make drawing and reholstering much more difficult than it should be.

Plus adding stresses on the holster that it wasn't designed for - especially when the gun's not holstered.

I've found that Henry Holster's hybrid to be superior than many because he affixes an entire holster to the leather backer. It's not leather on one side and kydex on the other. It's kydex on both sides of the gun. Alleviates any stretching concerns from the leather AND it greatly reduces wear points on the holster as the leather flexes.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I'd say that the tension needed to cinch the belt tight enough to not sag will probably put too much tension on the holster and make drawing and reholstering much more difficult than it should be.

Plus adding stresses on the holster that it wasn't designed for - especially when the gun's not holstered.

I've found that Henry Holster's hybrid to be superior than many because he affixes an entire holster to the leather backer. It's not leather on one side and kydex on the other. It's kydex on both sides of the gun. Alleviates any stretching concerns from the leather AND it greatly reduces wear points on the holster as the leather flexes.

I've had no issues with doing this and I've been doing this way for almost a year. The Kydex used in their OWB seems to be the same as their IWB (I have both styles) so it would seems to be the same tension as a IWB would put. But if someone doesn't want to try it, no worries.

I went to Home - Henry Holsters but it really doesn't give very much/good information. How do you find out what holsters they offer, how much they are, etc? Lotsa pictures, little info.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Personally, I think it looks funny/awkward. but to each their own. Glad it works for you. I'd suggest a Phantom holster if you want to use a holster for the way it was made not the way you want to adapt it. It does exactly what you want with a tight body profile, and looks great.

Phantom Modular Holster for Glock Pistols - Raven Concealment Systems

For some reason I am reminded of this when I see your photo. :):

flip-flop-holster.jpg

Top Bottom