Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This in from Gary.
    Remember Owensboro is on slow time.

Our June USPSA pistol match is this Saturday (06/21/14). Sign-ups opens at 9:00 AM and we shoot at 10:00 AM. The new shooters meeting will be held at 9:30 AM on Bay 2. There will be six stages including a Classifier. There will also be a shotgun side match. Stages will be posted via the website (www.orpci.org)

Other Stuff:

There will not be a Multi Gun match in July.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Good squad, lot of fun. I didn't get a chance to tell everyone in the squad goodbye but thanks for a good day. Gary does a good job with the layout. The RO and scorekeeper did a good job. The rest of the squad was entertaining (in a good way), always good to have a few laughs.

P.S. I used the word "good" a lot in this post but it really was a good day.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    This was my first ever USPSA match and I had a fantastic time. Didn't get much chance to meet many new people but the ones I did were fantastic as well. Wish it weren't so far away but it won't be the last time I shoot there! Can't wait to see the scores and do it all again!

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    A great match yesterday. Thanks to Gary and crew for setup and some great stages. Thanks to all the folks who RO'ed and worked. It was a HOT,HOT day on the range.
    Nice to meet some more names from here. All and all a great day on the range.
    Slawburger feel free to get on our squad next time if you don't have a crew you shoot with already.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Awesome! Not sure what it all means but I finished 23 of 61 overall. I could tell where I started to feel comfortable towards the nod and stages 1 and 2 were probably my best. How would I know what my classifier run would put me in as? I took a poo on that and had 3 Mikes so maybe I don't want to know LOLOL

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Awesome! Not sure what it all means but I finished 23 of 61 overall. I could tell where I started to feel comfortable towards the nod and stages 1 and 2 were probably my best. How would I know what my classifier run would put me in as? I took a poo on that and had 3 Mikes so maybe I don't want to know LOLOL

Nobody really knows how USPSA scoring works. It's a mystery on the order of "what's in a woman's purse?"

But, running the magic calculator on that run, your percentage was a bit over 9%. Or, very, very low D class. Or, put another way, that's 9% of what Vogel ran that stage (or whoever the top guy is). This about right according to the USPSA guys. IDPA EX=D class, IDPA MA= Low C Class:laugh: Your penalties got you on that one but nothing of concern, everyone bombs classifier stages at one time or another. Looks like Brad and Jeff had great runs.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Stage 2 was the last one we shot and the one you were worried about and it ended up being your third best stage.
    That classifier is a tough one, click on the stage at bottom of page on the combined results and see how many had penalties on that stage.
    We talked about how USPSA is a accuracy game and not just about speed. You could have shot the classifier with all A hits in 65 seconds and had about the same hit factor as you ended up with. The smaller the stage the more important the points.
    The main thing is having fun and learning the game. The combined results are just for information and entertainment. you can't really compare a production rig to a open or limited major rig.
    I'm usually the only revolver shooter so I look at the combined so I can see how I did at a match against shooters that I know from past matches. I know that my revolver is slower to reload and slower to shoot fast than any autoloader but I know about where I stand against most of the other divisions.

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    People do actually understand USPSA scoring...

Each scoring shot is worth up to 5 points. Add up scoring hits per stage, subtract penalties, then divide by stage time. That determines the shooters "hit factor". Highest hit factor for the stage gets the all of the stages points for that stage. Divide hit factor by the highest hit factor, and that's the percentage for the stage. Use that percentage times the available stage points and that's how many match points for that stage. Summation of match points per stage determines the winner.

This is done per division. It's a lot of math, but allows for a dynamic scoring system.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

Each scoring shot is worth up to 5 points. Add up scoring hits per stage, subtract penalties, then divide by stage time. That determines the shooters "hit factor". Highest hit factor for the stage gets the all of the stages points for that stage. Divide hit factor by the highest hit factor, and that's the percentage for the stage. Use that percentage times the available stage points and that's how many match points for that stage. Summation of match points per stage determines the winner.

This is done per division. It's a lot of math, but allows for a dynamic scoring system.

My apologies, I'll use purple next time.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Stage 2 was the last one we shot and the one you were worried about and it ended up being your third best stage.
    That classifier is a tough one, click on the stage at bottom of page on the combined results and see how many had penalties on that stage.
    We talked about how USPSA is a accuracy game and not just about speed. You could have shot the classifier with all A hits in 65 seconds and had about the same hit factor as you ended up with. The smaller the stage the more important the points.
    The main thing is having fun and learning the game. The combined results are just for information and entertainment. you can't really compare a production rig to a open or limited major rig.
    I'm usually the only revolver shooter so I look at the combined so I can see how I did at a match against shooters that I know from past matches. I know that my revolver is slower to reload and slower to shoot fast than any autoloader but I know about where I stand against most of the other divisions.

The first 2 shots from my reload on the Classifier resulted in the 2 Mikes for the top row of targets. Should have shot the top row first but that is all hindsight and it could have ended up being about the same result. I'll try it the other way next time and see how it goes!

Learning the game is definitely key! :D It was really neat to come into something and be a newbie again, though. I had a fantastic time and am ready to do it again!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Nobody really knows how USPSA scoring works.

My apologies, I'll use purple next time.

I just thought you meant the timekeeping part.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    On stage six, one hit was half inside the D zone on a lower target and half outside. The lower target was stapled to a non-threat. The hole was inside the non-scoring area of the lower target (i.e. nothing on the white).

I think the way things work is that you should score this as both a hit on the non threat and a D zone hit. Another perspective was that shoot throughs do not count, and since all of the hole was surrounded by the lower target then the non-threat does not get counted.

What is the correct way to look at how you tally this one?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I thought I read somewhere that shoot-throughs do not count if the targets are stapled together...but I cannot remember where I read that. You are talking about the Classifier, right?

CB45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If bullets hits both the no-shoot and a scoring zone, shooter gets the hit and the no shoot. This is in the rulebook, it's a good place to find the rules.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If bullets hits both the no-shoot and a scoring zone, shooter gets the hit and the no shoot. This is in the rulebook, it's a good place to find the rules.

Book good, uspsa website for most recent changes & clarifications good, historic clarifications in Front Site good, finding somebody that knows, priceless.

Anyway, the question I intended was whether or not a bullet completely covered by the first target (part in D zone & part outside) would be considered to have hit the target behind it.

DD, yep, classifier. Shoot throughs do not count, just don't know if this was a shoot through or a double hit.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Book good, uspsa website for most recent changes & clarifications good, historic clarifications in Front Site good, finding somebody that knows, priceless.

Anyway, the question I intended was whether or not a bullet completely covered by the first target (part in D zone & part outside) would be considered to have hit the target behind it.

DD, yep, classifier. Shoot throughs do not count, just don't know if this was a shoot through or a double hit.

If the bullet hole is part in the D-zone and part in the non scoring border, it'll count for both. 9.1.5.3

The non-scoring border portion isn't there for shoot through purposes.

Top Bottom