• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The August USPSA pistol match is this Saturday. (8/17/13). Sign-ups opens at 9:00 AM and we shoot at 10:00 AM. The new shooters meeting will be held at 9:30 AM on Bay 2.

Remember Owensboro is on slow time.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Just got a email from Gary and it looks like this match will be another NO match.
    No no shoots, no hard cover, no steel, no shots over 15 yards.
    Time to hose them down.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Good times today at Lewisport! Our squad had 4 revo shooters and I enjoyed the squad as much as the match. Even had one of my TN buddies show up. Looks like ESR Masters can't hang with USPSA A-Class revo shooters as Bosshoss stomped me:laugh: I'm calling it a success though as I did't skip any targets. If I spent a year in USPSA I would at least make D-Class and I would absolutely OWN that class.:laugh:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Good times today at Lewisport! Our squad had 4 revo shooters and I enjoyed the squad as much as the match. Even had one of my TN buddies show up. Looks like ESR Masters can't hang with USPSA A-Class revo shooters as Bosshoss stomped me:laugh: I'm calling it a success though as I did't skip any targets. If I spent a year in USPSA I would at least make D-Class and I would absolutely OWN that class.:laugh:

100% agree TJ a great day on the range after driving over an hour in the rain it quit just in time to shoot:rockwoot:.
    Yes there were 5 revolvers total which was a pleasant surprise. Great to see you back out doing USPSA again. I hope Stan had a good time and will make the drive back for more matches, nice guy and a good shooter.
    I looked at Johns gun after the match and his problem was cylinder skip so I have it back in the shop to fix, felt sorry for him having problems all day.
    A great squad with everyone helping paste and score and thanks to Barry who helped me RO.
    You have improved a lot since the last time you shot USPSA and you are no where near D class:laugh:

IMO from the guys I know that shoot both IDPA and USPSA it seems that IDPA master tend to class in B class USPSA(most of these guys are auto shooters but a few are Revo's). I think that holds true for Brad and Scott from your IDPA club as I believe they are classed B class USPSA. Of course there are exceptions as some shooters switch sports and move up to higher levels in both sports.
    I would say you are a solid B class and with a little more time with stage breakdown who knows.
    Well done my friend, hope you keep coming back. It was fun having some competition.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    100% agree TJ a great day on the range after driving over an hour in the rain it quit just in time to shoot:rockwoot:.
    Yes there were 5 revolvers total which was a pleasant surprise. Great to see you back out doing USPSA again. I hope Stan had a good time and will make the drive back for more matches, nice guy and a good shooter.
    I looked at Johns gun after the match and his problem was cylinder skip so I have it back in the shop to fix, felt sorry for him having problems all day.
    A great squad with everyone helping paste and score and thanks to Barry who helped me RO.
    You have improved a lot since the last time you shot USPSA and you are no where near D class:laugh:

IMO from the guys I know that shoot both IDPA and USPSA it seems that IDPA master tend to class in B class USPSA(most of these guys are auto shooters but a few are Revo's). I think that holds true for Brad and Scott from your IDPA club as I believe they are classed B class USPSA. Of course there are exceptions as some shooters switch sports and move up to higher levels in both sports.
    I would say you are a solid B class and with a little more time with stage breakdown who knows.
    Well done my friend, hope you keep coming back. It was fun having some competition.

That's a cool little revo John had. I've never seen one in that barrel length.

I think there's a lot of things I need to work on in USPSA to take it to the next level. As you mentioned, stage breakdown is a weakness. Also, the "sprint" mentality of IDPA- you really can't do that with revo USPSA. It's a marathon and it seemed to me that smooth movement, positioning and reloading were more important than outright sprinting. Some different gear and spending time reloading from the front instead of the side before the match might be beneficial as well:laugh:

I'll take B-class LOL! I don't know, it's hard to tell different shooters in different sports unless they spend a lot of time in each. I wonder what would happen to Brad's scores if they were graded major?? I've came out ahead against USPSA GMs when playing IDPA but I know I couldn't touch them in a USPSA match.

I'll be back sometime. The only other time I'll have this year is in November. Hopefully my tags will be filled early so I can make it out.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    That's a cool little revo John had. I've never seen one in that barrel length.

I think there's a lot of things I need to work on in USPSA to take it to the next level. As you mentioned, stage breakdown is a weakness. Also, the "sprint" mentality of IDPA- you really can't do that with revo USPSA. It's a marathon and it seemed to me that smooth movement, positioning and reloading were more important than outright sprinting. Some different gear and spending time reloading from the front instead of the side before the match might be beneficial as well:laugh:

I'll take B-class LOL! I don't know, it's hard to tell different shooters in different sports unless they spend a lot of time in each. I wonder what would happen to Brad's scores if they were graded major?? I've came out ahead against USPSA GMs when playing IDPA but I know I couldn't touch them in a USPSA match.

I'll be back sometime. The only other time I'll have this year is in November. Hopefully my tags will be filled early so I can make it out.

What different gear? You have a pile of 625's and a decent holster and clip holders:laugh:

Since it is probably only me and you reading this, here it goes for discussion.
    I looked up Brad's classification and he is 71% so I say major or minor won't make much differance.
    The deal with USPSA classifiers is they are usually small round count stages and when you have small round count stages every point is very important. If someone is moving up the classification ladder and reachs Brads level they NEED to shoot A's and since A's count the same for major/minor it doesn't matter BUT if they are shooting C's and D's they probably shouldn't be or won't be moving up anyway.
    Now in the whole match it might make a small differance but again remember that minor limited(if they are shooting 9MM) has a 3-4 round advantage in a 140MM mag. Also they have a small advantage in the drop in recoil from major to minor. I don't notice the recoil differance myself when at a match as when the timer goes off I'm concentrating on the front sight and my plan and don't notice the recoil differance.
    This is not as big a deal with limited as it is with revolver when the extra rounds make revolver much easier.
    I feel if someone is shooting limited minor and they felt it was a big hit in the scoring they wouldn't be shooting minor they would be shooting major.
    When I used to teach class's for USPSA shooters I alway told shooters that USPSA is NOT a speed event it is HOW FAST YOU CAN SHOOT ACURATELY. You need points to divide the time into. IMO B class and above shooters need to be working on their A count and where to save time in a course of fire, not how to shoot faster.
    I try to shoot 90% of the points available after penalties or at least that is my goal for every match. I usually make that so to beat me you have to out score me or be quite a bit faster if you don't score as well as I do. The other revolver guys I shoot with shoot high A counts so I can't give up the points by shooting to many D's.
    This match being a NO match allowed us to pick up the speed a bit but after about half the match I settled back into trying to shoot A's and it felt better.
    USPSA takes a rap for spray and pray and some shooters do that and it is fun to let it hang out but to succeed in the sport you MUST also be accurate and shoot a lot of points be it major or minor.
    :twocents:

Disclaimer In case Brad is reading this: The Brad mentioned above is purely a fictional character and if he bears any resemblance to someone you know it is unintentional:laugh:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting stuff.

:scratch: Have noticed that I'm a reall yucky C or D class guy in regular stages and yet often I mysteriously beat A and B class shooters in the classifier stages. Could be that the classifier stages just work better for old farts (higher shooting to prancing about ratio and no short term memory tests) but it sort of seems like the big boys don't have their heart in it.

Neat to see an IDPA revolver guy stick his foot in the door and accept the challenge, will be interesting to see how things work out if any USPSA revolver folks belly up to the bar for the Kentuckian Kolonel :).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    What different gear? You have a pile of 625's and a decent holster and clip holders:laugh:

Since it is probably only me and you reading this, here it goes for discussion.
    I looked up Brad's classification and he is 71% so I say major or minor won't make much differance.
    The deal with USPSA classifiers is they are usually small round count stages and when you have small round count stages every point is very important. If someone is moving up the classification ladder and reachs Brads level they NEED to shoot A's and since A's count the same for major/minor it doesn't matter BUT if they are shooting C's and D's they probably shouldn't be or won't be moving up anyway.
    Now in the whole match it might make a small differance but again remember that minor limited(if they are shooting 9MM) has a 3-4 round advantage in a 140MM mag. Also they have a small advantage in the drop in recoil from major to minor. I don't notice the recoil differance myself when at a match as when the timer goes off I'm concentrating on the front sight and my plan and don't notice the recoil differance.
    This is not as big a deal with limited as it is with revolver when the extra rounds make revolver much easier.
    I feel if someone is shooting limited minor and they felt it was a big hit in the scoring they wouldn't be shooting minor they would be shooting major.
    When I used to teach class's for USPSA shooters I alway told shooters that USPSA is NOT a speed event it is HOW FAST YOU CAN SHOOT ACURATELY. You need points to divide the time into. IMO B class and above shooters need to be working on their A count and where to save time in a course of fire, not how to shoot faster.
    I try to shoot 90% of the points available after penalties or at least that is my goal for every match. I usually make that so to beat me you have to out score me or be quite a bit faster if you don't score as well as I do. The other revolver guys I shoot with shoot high A counts so I can't give up the points by shooting to many D's.
    This match being a NO match allowed us to pick up the speed a bit but after about half the match I settled back into trying to shoot A's and it felt better.
    USPSA takes a rap for spray and pray and some shooters do that and it is fun to let it hang out but to succeed in the sport you MUST also be accurate and shoot a lot of points be it major or minor.
    :twocents:

Disclaimer In case Brad is reading this: The Brad mentioned above is purely a fictional character and if he bears any resemblance to someone you know it is unintentional:laugh:

Good info there Paul. Going to put that into my "learning USPSA" file. I too have heard that USPSA is a "spray and pray" type game. I don't agree with it although I practiced it some Saturday. Some mikes on a stage will BURY you a lot quicker in USPSA than IDPA, in my opinion.

Oh, you know what "gear" I need. Yes, I've got plenty of 625s, but I'll have to have a 627:laugh: This means all new clips and clip holders!

Neat to see an IDPA revolver guy stick his foot in the door and accept the challenge, will be interesting to see how things work out if any USPSA revolver folks belly up to the bar for the Kentuckian Kolonel :).

Yes, my friend, it will indeed. Good thing I've got a pile of 4" 625s for him to choose from:D

My wife chuckled when I told her I was going to shoot Owensboro. After explaining that I would not be bringing home a win she asked me why I wanted to go and I said "Paul has called me out, I've got to go!":laugh:

Top Bottom