• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Slightly more recoil on the P3AT, but a whole lot more energy in the round.

I had both for a while. I don't consider either a target pistol. They are a "empty the mag in the BG's face, throw the gun at him, and run like hell" gun. I stuck with the .380 simply because it's more power in the same size package. I can keep a 6" group at 50' with it which is good enough for me.

Gee223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    I've read the 32 can occasionally rimlock, but the 380 doesn't. With a good grip my LCP isn't bad at all.

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    Virtually (maybe exactly) the same size. More power, hence more recoil in the P3AT. Less $$ than an LCP but the finish is not as nice. Taurus also makes a similarly sized 380. About the same or slightly less money than Keltec.

I bought the Keltec P3AT because I wanted the maximum firepower in the smallest package that I could afford. I don't think there's any significant difference in accuracy and reliability in any of these.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I've never shot the .32 but I have the p3at and really like it. No last round hold open on the .380 if that matters to ya. Recoil isn't bad - a bit snappy and followup shots aren't great but good enough for intended use.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I own the P32 (gifted to me from my grandfather), but have never shot the P3AT. If the gun was not gifted to me from my grandfather as my first pistol, I would probably sell it for a .380. I like the gun, don't get me wrong, but as a defensive carry, I would rather have the more powerful .380 round. I had it rim lock on me a few time at the range, which doesn't help my confidence with it (not a HUGE deal, since I'm more careful when loading my defensive rounds for carry). Also, .32 ACP is harder to find than .380, which makes it more expensive it seems. I don't like spending more on a box of .32 than I do for my .45, but thats just me.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have a p3at that i hadnt fired since they first came out. With some hornady zombie loads, it sucked recoil wise. I could only get 2 fat fingers on the grip and it would just about pull out of them. I had some old speer loads from when i first bought it that were soo much nicer to shoot. If u have nice strong hands, GRAB a 380, if not, HOLD a 32, heh.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Any pros/cons between them to consider?

.380 ammo is slightly more potent and easier to find.

The cons would be that boh are made by KelTec. If I HAD to carry this type of mouse gun it would be an LCP. :dunno:

The people who chose keltecs will be along shortly to try and validate their decisions, but the fact of the matter is, p3at to KSG, I wouldn't trust my life to one.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm the guy Chezuki told you about. At one time I had a P32 and a P3AT at the same time. What the others say about recoil and ballistics is true, but it's also true that the ballistics aren't all that different. Because of that, and the noticibly less recoil from the P32, I kept it and sold the 380. Clean em up with the Kel Tec fluff and buff, and they are lots more dependable, although that's never been much of a problem for me. I thought it was nice enough, and flat enough, that one day my daughters might like to have one. Interestingly enough, some fellah in Muncie chose paying the bills over having one in NEW condition last week. Looks like my girls will be getting pocket pistols at some point.

MuayThaiGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I have a p3at that i hadnt fired since they first came out. With some hornady zombie loads, it sucked recoil wise. I could only get 2 fat fingers on the grip and it would just about pull out of them. I had some old speer loads from when i first bought it that were soo much nicer to shoot. If u have nice strong hands, GRAB a 380, if not, HOLD a 32, heh.

This is what I was afraid of with the size of the gun.

Clean em up with the Kel Tec fluff and buff, and they are lots more dependable, although that's never been much of a problem for me.

Christa'sDad, I have zero smithing experience, is this a relatively easy process?

chezuki, is the LCP more controllable than the P-3AT? I'm curious if the grip design overcomes some of the recoil?

Thanks for all the info guys!

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I've had both and currently only have the 32. I like the extra round and lesser recoil. However I am having a hard time finding 32 ammo right now!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Go to the Kel Tec Owner's group forum, KTOG, and there's pretty detailed instructions. Nothing too tough about it. Not really smithing as much as just "finishing" the pistol. Sanding off heavy seams, etc. LCP fans like them because all of the "fit and finish" stuff is already done, and the grip is more ergonomic. That said, it's just a gussied up copy of the Kel Tec, and just hearing that said kills 'em. Don't know why. I'm a ruger fan too, but it is what it is.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    ive had both. got rid of the .380 for some reason, i don't remember why.

virtually identical guns.

as far as shooting, they were pretty similar. i still have my .32, not for lack of trying. i can't get rid of the damn thing, so i've settled in with keeping it forever. nice little pocket gun either way, and someone makes a clip that hooks right onto your pants. superb concealment.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Some may ask "How in the heck does this guy have 500+rds thru his KT.32?" Its my sons favorite gun to shoot.

Top Bottom