• ...and so much more!
  • bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Umm... yeah...

A buddy of mine stopped by Darrel's Custom Firearms and picked up some ammo for me... and accidentally bought +P JHP ammo for my .45 ACP (not +P)

Any chance I'll still be able shoot it? I know +P ammo is only for guns marked that way, but does JHP change the ballgame?

It's over an hour's drive from my house to get there :(.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    Charles Daly 1911

something else to note. These are only 185 grain. My other JHP's are full 230 grain. That i guess would make the round lighter? Maybe easier to dissipate pressure?

I dunno. I just don't want to drive back to cayuga :)

Last edited:

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    duly noted :).. thanks for the info.

From what my buddy told me, that store is starting to run dry as well. Most of the ammo I've bought there has the appearance of old cardboard... looks like he thought ahead and stockedup before the shortage. however, even he isn't immune :(.

I'm not doing bad now, though. I've got a little over 500 plinking rounds and now not quite a hundred in personal protection.

It will have to do :D

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Maybe you could sell the ammo for twice what you paid for it on this forum! ;)

(just kidding, just kidding)

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Look in your owners manual to see if it says anything about shooting +P ammo. If not then I would call the manufacturer. You really don't want to ruin your gun or worse yet hurt yourself. Worst case scenario put it up on here for a trade :dunno:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You will be fine. Don't fret about it. Any 1911 type pistol old or new can easily handle factory 185 +P ammo. I have been shooting the Remington load for years and years. Standard pressure is only about 16000 PSI and +P is under 20000 PSI.

This is from a guy that some years ago had a squib load with a 200 LSWC and followed it up with a full load 200 milliseconds later in a pistol class because I was pumped up and didn't realize what had happened. The overbuilt strength of the 1911 saved my butt that day. It swelled the barrel up into the locking lugs, and actually improved the accuracy.

I don't recommend it though....

Top Bottom