• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    Shot from the same gun, Springfield Armory XD-E 3.8" barrel, Supervel regular 9mm and +p SCHP, both bullets 115 grain. Expected more recoil from the +P but it felt less.

Makes no sense to me. Any thoughts. Takes a 5" barrel to develop higher velocities?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Did you get chronograph results?
    Good question.

some years ago I chrono’d a wide variety of 9mm out of a Kahr P9. I was surprised to find that +P did not necessarily mean higher velocities for a given bullet weight - usually did, but not always. I would think that higher Pressures would yield higher velocities (and more recoil), but apparently not every time.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Good question.

some years ago I chrono’d a wide variety of 9mm out of a Kahr P9. I was surprised to find that +P did not necessarily mean higher velocities for a given bullet weight - usually did, but not always. I would think that higher Pressures would yield higher velocities (and more recoil), but apparently not every time.
    Yeah and sometimes +P+ is slower +P.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Also keep in mind that test barrels for the vast majority of these pistol rounds are 4" or so long.

There may not be enough barrel dwell time in a 3" barrel to give enough burn-time to develop the entire extra oomph.

However, 9mm +p is an official SAAMI designation. If the ammo is from a large manufacturer, especially one with Federal contracts, it's gonna be +p ammo.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Also helps to remember, more pressure doesn't necessarily mean faster.

If it's a faster pressure spike, then less energy is put into the bullet's velocity. If it's too long of a pressure curve, then most the powder is burning outside of the barrel.

So it's easy to make a +P loading that is slower than a non +P loading.

On the time scales we're talking about, barrel length shouldn't be enough to change felt recoil.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Could be a lot of things factoring into it. For one thing it's likely a different powder with a different burn rate. While, all else being equal, barrel length shouldn't be that much difference, if the powder burn rate is more appropriate for a longer barrel, it may. Load up on a slow burning powder and it's easy to make a very spicy load for a long barrel that's pretty much just a flashbang out of a short barrel. That kind of thing is much more apparent in a rifle because of the larger loads and longer barrels but the physics are the same for a handgun.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My favorite is Hirtenberger +P+ 100gr PSP in my Glock 19 / 17 both Gen5 and my 43X. Quite fun in my P229 too!

Top Bottom