• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Well it will be a little while before I buy, but my wife got here LTCH and now wants to carry my P32 all the time which was my EDC. So she has given me permission to buy something else to replace it. I want same size that will fit in my pocket for everyday carry. Think I will go up in caliber. Looking at P3at or LCP. What do you all think is better I usually carry something else along with it when we go to the big town. Help me decide?

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    Ruger LCP has my vote. I owned a P3at before my LCP and didn't like it a bit. It felt a little cheaper and jammed a couple of times. My LCP is has been 100% flawless and surprisingly accurate for a "pocket pistol".

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The KelTec was the originator for this design

LCP = little copied pistol.

The only real difference between the two is the slide locks open on the LCP.

Other than that, they're identical.

I own a P3AT and it has been a very reliable shooter for me.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've owned both and both were reliable for me. I sold my Kel-Tec and bought an LCP more out of curiosity than anything else- but I did find the ergonomics to be a bit better than the KT, plus the LCP felt like it was built better. There are a few minor differences inside regarding how the action works between them, making the LCP's action feel smoother and more refined in operation.

I carry my LCP every day and even transferred my Kel-Tec belt/pocket clip over to my LCP's frame without issue, making it a real nice concealed pocket gun that stays put..

Good luck w/ your decision. :)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    LCP

deadmanslcplarge.jpg

n9znd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    I am not a huge Taurus fan but don't discount the little TCP. Better trigger and works great. Love mine and picked over the LCP. Never been a Keltec fan but there are plenty out there that people love. Jim

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I've always been more fond of the Ruger. Worth noting is that I have NOT fired either, but I have fondled multiple examples of each. If nothing else, I would choose the LCP simply because I trust Ruger CS to make it right if I ever had an issue. My overally outlook. If the money difference isn't a big deal, snag the LCP. If it is an issue, you'll probably be well served by the p3at as well.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Kel Tec will make it right and has a stellar warranty department. 'Course, the downside is they ship with finish work often being required by the end user. (Google : "fluff&buff.")

I had a KT P3AT before I decided to stop buying .380 ammo. The only issue I ever had was some very minor dirt/sand rendering it inoperable, though that might have been the case with an LCP also.

I would spend $50 extra bucks just for the fit and finish of the LCP.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I had a p3at. If I ever have a need for that type of pistol again I'll spend the extra for an LCP. The Kel-Tec required feed ramp polishing to function reliably, and quite a bit of cosmetic work to clean up rough seams from the injection molding process. Ruger's fit and finish is done where it should be, at the factory, not in the hands of the end user.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I have had both. Actually preferred the TCP 738 . I had an assortment of a dozen or so mouse guns. The autos are slowly finding other homes because these ol' hands can no longer manipulate those bitty little slides.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I had 3 P3AT and out of the 3 I have one in my back pocket right now and my son has one also. I think I traded the other one off.
    My son had the LCP and had mag troubles out of it.
    Other than that it's been a great gun for him.
    I have over 1000 rounds through my P3AT. Accurate and dependable little bugger.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I have a friend who has both. We went to the range and I liked the LCP a little better. I was all set to buy one but couldn't find one. Did find a Diamondback DB9 at a LGS. Same weight as the LCP (11 oz). Did some research on it. Mostly good (although mixed) reviews. I like the thought of not having to buy another caliber ammo (I already have a Ruger SR9c) and I like having a 9mm EDC as opposed to a .380 (marginal improvement). I haven't fired it yet, so I don't know if i've made the right choice.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You can manually lock the LCP's slide open (it does not automatically lock open on an empty mag).

Other than that, the LCP's finish seems to be a little nicer and the P3at is a little cheaper.

I have carried my LCP daily for years and shot hundreds of rounds through it (probably between 700 and 1000) and it's a decent little gun.

If I lost the use of my LCP tomorrow, I would probably buy another one because I have a hand full of mags, but I don't really know if they are any better than the P3at.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Just my own perspective - But I prefer the Kel-Tec P-11.

It's only slightly larger than the LCP, but ya get 11 rounds (10+1) rnds. of 9mm over 7 rnds. (6+1) of .380. And if you opt for the +2 mags (fit flush in the grip), you're at 13 rnds of 9mm vs. 7 of .380.

Almost twice the capacity of an, arguably, better defensive round in a package that's only slightly larger.

I personally know a dozen or two P-11 owners, and no one's had an issue. One guy sent theirs in to K-T to have night sights installed, and the turnaround was quick AND the feed ramp had been polished at N/C.

K-T has an excellent service reputation with almost everyone that's dealt with them.

JMO.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    I havent shot or handled the p3at but I've had other keltec's with no issues. Ive shot the lcp and its a great little gun. Theres also the taurus tcp as others have mentioned. Taurus seems to have worked out the bugs they first had with them. They have a great trigger and fit good in the hand for a small gun.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have both. Both are very reliable relatively accurate. The LCP is a much nicer product, more refined and pleasant to shoot. I use the P3AT for the dirtier, sweatier times.

Top Bottom