• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    My wife has only been shooting once, but she decided to sign up for a defensive pistol class. The only pistol I have appropriate for such a class is a Sig P226 which is too big for her hands (almost too big for mine). We went gun shopping today and she decided she wanted a P99 because it felt good in her hands. It has the AS trigger which is nice.

My only concern is that its a .40S&W and a fairly light gun. Have any of the ladies here fired a P99 in .40? What are your opinions? How bad is the felt recoil? I already bought it because once she decides on something, she doesn't want to wait. Is she going to regret it?

Thanks!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    not a bad choice and with the adjustable grip would fit pretty well, but I might suggest an M&P, I had a SW99 and when I bought the M&P I got to looking and the dimensions of the M&P and SW were basically the same, and I thought self why would you carry a gun (SW) thats a full size piece that only holds 10 or 12 round when I can have the same size gun that will hold 16, with the same recoil and a bit more predictable trigger,

Don't get me wrong the SW is a great gun but it was born in a darker time when the clintons were trying to take away all firearms

Most important thing is get something that she's happy with, so if she likes the SW go for it, If she can get a look at a M&P then let her look,

Good luck

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Yeah, she didn't like the M&Ps.

I was mostly wondering if anyone had trouble with felt recoil on these.

The 12 round $55 magazines are definitely a bummer.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The recoil in mine was manageable but recoil is a subjective thing, with the nice fit and heavy top end it cruises along fine

the sights were adjustable and tough, I think its a fine firearm, If you worried about recoil jump to 135gr bullets and it will puff along no problem

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thanks for the info. I guess the only way to find out is to get it out to the range.

Unfortunately she now needs to get 2 more magazines because you need 4 for the class. I should post in the buy/sell to find someone willing to rent some out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My wife finds my P99 to have a bit more recoil then she cares for. To be honest this is all in her head since she actually likes the glock 23. Basically the same size gun and same cartridge. If your wife picked the gun out herself and is willing to practice, she will not have any problem with the recoil. The P99s are excellent shooters and extremely accurate for a service pistol. The safety features are good as well. Congratulations on an excellent purchase.

On a side note if she needs some .40 mags to take a pistol course I would be willing to lend you a couple of mine. They are ten rounders. I would need them back because the wife and I are planning on taking some classes together sometime in the near future.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    So we took the P99 out for the first time today. We only got about 20 rounds through before the rain started, but it was enough to see what it feels like. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference in recoil between the .40 P99 and my 9mm P226. My wife couldn't either.

She didn't like the recoil on either of them, but I think she will get used to it and learn to control it. I figure once she is taught proper grip and just gets over the scared factor... she will be fine. This was only the 2nd time she has shot a gun and has probably shot less than 50 rounds total. Recoil is always bad when you are inexperienced. I think 400 rounds in 2 days of shooting class will fix that.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Why a .40 and not a 9mm?

Its hard to find the 9mm in the AS trigger. Mostly, thats what the store had and my wife doesn't like to wait for things. She saw it and wanted it.

If someone has a 9mm AS in good shape they would like to trade, I would be happy to.

Top Bottom