• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    I just received my CDNN catalog and it has a PA-63 for $139 in very good to excellent condition (1 year warranty). I have not even considered this before, but it looks like a nice little pistol for the money.

Do any of you have experience with one? How about the size, could this be a good pocket pistol?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They're a quite serviceable and competent pistol!

It's in .380 or 9mm Mak, I presume (depending on the market it was made for...and when). Being thus, it's a "straight blowback" design. Recoil WILL be noticeable.

For the price listed, doesn't seem like a bad deal at all!

Just be sure to figure in shipping and the possibility of a transfer fee from your FFL, too. Then ask your FFL how much it'd cost for HIM to get one for you.

They're heavy little guns, be sure you have a good pocket holster if you're going to pocket one.

Having said that, though, I've never owned one. Nor shot one. I have had a Polish P-64, though...VERY similar pistol in 9mm Mak.

-J-

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    was both redneckmedics and I's first carry guns.... served us well until our tastes got more expensive and the moved on to a better place... i HIGHLY suggest the wolf sping pack to tame the recoil and lighten the trigger pull... you will be glad you did.... some major polishing makes the thing run like a champ.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I am not sure if all the PA63s have alloy frames, but mine does and it is a lot slimmer and lighter than my PPK, plus the 9mm MAK is a stouter round than the .380, though the ammo selection is limited.

Unfortunately, the ramp is alloy (aluminum), so hollowpoints may ding it up after repeated use.

There are custom grips available, and a competant smith can add better sights in addition to the Wolfe springs and some polishing. (the factory sights suk)

For 150$ its a decent gun, I wish some smith would come up with a tuning "package" for the PA63.

FYI, you cannot shoot .380 in a 9mm MAK gun!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    As IGW stated it was a great virgin carry. 9x18 wasn't the easiest to find, however there was no shortage when we had them. And shot all we ever "needed" to. Slim, ergo, pocket/holster carry, plus great resale. I had to stay on top of keeping mine clean though. The aluminum (frame) and (slide) marriage liked to stick if it got gummy at all. No Biggie.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I saw those in the catalogue. I agree with most of the above. Having said that, I personally would spend the extra $20 to get the CZ-82 shown below the PA-63 on the same page.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I had a PA-63. It shot great and was accurate. However I could only get Wolf 380 ammo to feed in it. EVERYTHING else would jam.

Probably because the PA-63 doesn't shoot .380. Guns tend to have a FTF if you aren't using the correct bullet size and shape.

:ugh:

9x17 = .380
    9x18 = makarov 9mm (PA-63)
    9x19 = 9mm

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Not to jack the thread, but how do these compare to the Makarov's? Are they just manufactured in different countries?

Thanks...

The FEG PA-63 that I had was a retired Hungarian service pistol.

PA-63s sold in the United States are often advertised as "PA-63 Makarov." This can lead some consumers to believe they are purchasing a Makarov PMcaliber. The two guns share similar operating principles, but the Makarov PM is a different design featuring all-steel construction and different lockwork.

Interloper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Thanks for all the feedback. I would love to stumble on to the same deal or better at the 1500. See you guys out there later this week!
    :ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The Walther PP-type pistols

The Hungarian PA-63 pistol

The Polish P-64 pistol

Are all VERY very similar.

Seems that lots of folks like to copy ol' Carl Walther's designs; and I can't say that I blame them.

And yes, redneckmedic is correct, the actual Makarov pistols are different. It's the pistol that has lent it's name to the 9mm x 18mm cartridge, the 9mm Makarov.

Don't let someone sell you a Hungarian "makarov" or a Polish "makarov".

-J-

Top Bottom