• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How about this. Leave the door unlocked with a note that says: "Door unlocked, leave packages inside door." If anyone but a delivery person with package comes in, you sitting there with your Remington 870 blow them away (Mossberg 500 also acceptable). Castle doctrine. You only gave permission for legitimate delivery persons to come in, not people trying to steal. This requires you to be at home, but I'm sure word will get around.*

*Not legal advice.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I still prefer

th

Those are good, but they leave those nasty holes in the yard when they go, and too, the neighbors complain about the noise.

I prefer pungee sticks. :evilangel:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Signature confirmation is an option since thieving ***holes will always steal **** from porches. I'd prefer it if there weren't any thieving ***hole porch thieves, but this is the hand we're dealt.

"Signature confirmation" .. is a joke .. I have had packages shipped requiring Signature confirmation & proof of ID , but they just drop on porch .. don't even ring bell ..

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Eyes open for your deliveries. Package thieves are out there. More than one occurrence lately, but this one caught my eye. The victim is a former INGOer and a well known local USPSA competitor.

You think having a package stolen from your porch is a PITA? Try having pre-printed bank checks stolen from your mailbox! Now that there is one big can of worms to have to deal with (police report, affidavit that checks were stolen, fielding the phone calls/nastygrams from businesses where stolen check(s) bounced, sending affidavit to aforementioned businesses, etc. for 6 months or more).

Friendly PSA: have your pre-printed bank checks delivered to your bank branch and pick them up there. If the teller doesn't ask for photo ID when you pick them up, smack them up-side the head and explain why you had your checks sent there in the first place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One of my neighbors has a deck box by his garage. All his packages are put in that. You cant drive by and see what is waiting for him. I just happened to drive by one day while the UPS guy was dropping stuff off in it. Otherwise it just looks like something you would put useless yard stuff in.

Im on the hunt for a smallish deck box that fits on my porch. There is space to the right of my door that is perfect for it and it shouldnt get in the way. They cant easily steal it if they cant see it. (yes, if they want to come check every day but thats too risky)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My daughter had recently moved into a house in Durham, NC. It's a pretty nice Campus-like atmosphere, but she does live on a main thoroughfare. Her house has a large, wide front porch, which is accessible by a brick stairway. A couple of weeks ago, she'd potted up some pansies in several nice flower pots and put them on the edges of the wide brick stairway.

One day, she got home from work and one of the pots was missing. She mentioned it to me and we wondered who in the hell would steal a pot of pansies, and she said she'd moved the four pots left higher up away from the sidewalk. So, this past Monday, another one of the pots was missing, and she moved the rest of them up onto her porch and took several nicer potted succulent plants inside. This evening, she reported that the person had gone up onto her porch and took the three remaining pots. One of them was fairly large and she said one person couldn't have carried them in one trip. She walks to work and comes home at noon each day and the pots were always taken after lunch and before she got home at 5pm. As I was talking to her this evening, she was walking around the neighborhood with her dog, scanning for pansies.

I told her that she really needed to make a police report, but she was already on it and had called and was told she could make an online report. I'm ready to get a bush disguise and drive to Durham. She and her husband had spent several years living in a semi-sketchy neighborhood in Houston (where they never had any problems) and they were excited to live in such a nice looking place in Durham.

Funny thing is, they've had several boxes from Amazon sitting on the porch when they get home at different times this month and haven't lost any of those.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    One of my neighbors has a deck box by his garage. All his packages are put in that. You cant drive by and see what is waiting for him. I just happened to drive by one day while the UPS guy was dropping stuff off in it. Otherwise it just looks like something you would put useless yard stuff in.

Im on the hunt for a smallish deck box that fits on my porch. There is space to the right of my door that is perfect for it and it shouldnt get in the way. They cant easily steal it if they cant see it. (yes, if they want to come check every day but thats too risky)

Good luck getting them to use it (especially this time of year bc of sub drivers etc). I have a 3/4 mile long driveway. I HAD to get a box for packages because USPS will only deliver up to 1/2 mile from the road. I told all of them about the box (on multiple occasions) and still FedEx drives the full 3/4 mile down the driveway to drop the package on the porch and 3/4 mile back to the road EVERY time (not complaining but really, the could save time & effort and just put it in the box). UPS does it occasionally (I'm guessing those are the days there is a sub driver), and once in a while USPS will leave a note in the mailbox that I have to go pick a package up at the post-office (what they did prior to my installing the package box).

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    my order from Grunt style was taken out of my mailbox... working with them and the post office but not expecting much help or a happy conclusion... I live in the country and have never had a issue of things taken before..

Top Bottom