• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've always been on the fence about painting a rifle in a usable camo pattern for a long time now. On one side I can't deny the fact that a black AR-15, AK, or stainless barreled hunting rifle stands out like a sore thumb out in the field. On the other hand I hate to think that I'm doing something just for the sake of being tacticool and I can't stand to see those guys whose gear is all tact'd up but doesn't have a scratch on it.

On the one hand I have tried the at home duracoat kits because I like the idea of weather proofing some rifles, but it's always been in a dull flat color. The duracoat jobs have held up pretty well, but they're not the perfection they were cracked up to be. It keeps the ole 10-22 from rusting and I'm happy with that.

I look at painting a rifle in these catagories regarding color:
    -Flat, single color all over the rifle.
    -Some blended homemade camo or real tree type camo that actually blends in.
    -Some professionally applied pattern that looks like a digital camo or some trendy camo pattern of the day. Usually it helps a rifle blend in, but still stands out to some extent due to it's meticulously applied pattern.

I've always figured that if things got bad I'd just do a quick krylon job on some guns & mags so I didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Now I'm wondering if I should take one of my rifles and have one done ahead of time.

What are your thoughts about putting a camo paint job on a rifle as a prep?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I like ultra flat black Duracoat for weatherproofing and reflection reduction.

Putting a few stripes of green/brown on them is something I've always thought about doing but haven't done. Give it a try on a gun you aren't planning to part with and see how it looks, worst case strip it or paint over it...

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I've got a few rolls of that camo wrap walmart sells. This way if shtf, i can go camo if i need too and not have to worry about painting a rifle and regretting it later.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    If you consider your weapon a consumable, replacable tool, and not a collectible or heirloom, then you should maximize the weapons function, and that would include an appropriate finish. I see lots of high speed operator's weapons have flat camo paint jobs.

.38 Special

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I've always figured that if things got bad I'd just do a quick krylon job on some guns & mags so I didn't stick out like a sore thumb. Now I'm wondering if I should take one of my rifles and have one done ahead of time.

What are your thoughts about putting a camo paint job on a rifle as a prep?
    Krylon as in spray paint? Wouldn't that leave such a rough, gummy feeling finish on the parts, possibly impeding their function?

I've got a few rolls of that camo wrap walmart sells. This way if shtf, i can go camo if i need too and not have to worry about painting a rifle and regretting it later.
    I have enough camo wraps to do 2 long guns with and can come off and on as I please.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    My suggestion would be to have the paint on hand as a prep incase you need it. I wouldn't actually do it until you need to. I would have flat white, olive green, brown, black and maybe even some greys so that you can try to mimic your surroundings in whatever season you are in.

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012

I've seen guys do this to their rifles and all it did was hold water and distroyed the rifle paint may be the way to go, or not.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Before I watched the video, I was going to say, I knew a couple that painted the first coat, then put some leaves on it to paint the second coat, so it broke up the pattern in a natural way. Actually, after watching the video, looks way easier then I have heard it described, and now, im really thinking about painting a rifle or two. Might have to go airsoft first, until I get it down right, that way i dont ruin a good weapon. I would not suggest painting ALL your weapons, just certain ones. Of course, those would be up to you, but as previously said, the black weapon, is not a natural color, or shape, so it tends to really stick out in nature. Plenty of other things that can be done about it, but looks like it is pretty easy to do this.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Nice video on prepping the weapon for paint - thanks sticks. I was going to suggest camo wrap as an interim solution as well. As for me, I've started with replacing furniture with FDE parts and accessories. I can't go full boat on my rifle as it has to meet dept specs and the armorer would frown upon it, but I figured changing the furniture and some parts would break up the outline a little bit.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    20 minutes prep; 20 minutes per coat; 30-60 minutes between coats. Krylon paint is cheap and comes off when you want it to.

IMG_0009.jpg

Flat dark earth, tan, drab green
    Blackhawk2001

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Krylon as in spray paint? Wouldn't that leave such a rough, gummy feeling finish on the parts, possibly impeding their function?

I have enough camo wraps to do 2 long guns with and can come off and on as I please.

I have rattle canned several combat rifles. There is not impeding of function. There is not gummy finish. The finish can have a texture if you choose to or not.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As luck would finally have it I actually came across some of the krylon camo spray paint today. Everytime I stop some where that has spray paint I always look for the krylon camo and I always seem to strike out. Well today was my lucky day apparently and I've got some now. Are there any special tricks to prepping a rifle for the camo spray paint?

I'm going to give a 22lr the treatment just in case I manage to screw it up, it'll be easy to salvage.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I just painted my Varminter this weekend. I just used Rustoleum Camo Spray paint in tan and OD green. 1 coat of tan, then sprayed over some grass blades with the green. Im not worried about how well it holds up because itll take all of 10 seconds to touch it up whenever needed.

2012-11-01_16-43-35_93.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just painted my Varminter this weekend. I just used Rustoleum Camo Spray paint in tan and OD green. 1 coat of tan, then sprayed over some grass blades with the green. Im not worried about how well it holds up because itll take all of 10 seconds to touch it up whenever needed.

2012-11-01_16-43-35_93.jpg

That's what I'm talking about. It's not a store bought digital cute little camo pattern to show off to your friends, it's an actual functional and appropriate coat of camo paint.

Did you use the rustoleum over krylon for any reason other than availability?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    That's what I'm talking about. It's not a store bought digital cute little camo pattern to show off to your friends, it's an actual functional and appropriate coat of camo paint.

Did you use the rustoleum of krylon for any reason other than availability?

Couldnt find the Krylon. I found the Rustoleum so I used it. Ive used the Krylon on other things before and I didnt notice any difference in the Rustoleum.

Its so simple to do, and like I said, touch-ups are easy, theres no reason not to try it. Just grab some longer grass blades and fan them out, or you can use leaves, (fern leaves work really well). Hold them up close to the gun after your tan coat, and just do quick spritz's it in an angled motion.

Top Bottom