• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    So i was thinking of painting my AR steel GI mags black with some metal paint. would this have any effect on the operation/make it sticky and not work as well?
    If so are there any alternatives to just some hardware store paint? If not are there any techniques/tricks you would suggest? thanks! :patriot:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I would think you'd want to paint the and then maybe bake them before using them...or at least let htem dry for a couple weeks. I've never seen paint stick very well to steel...so not sure how durable its going ot be for you.

I believe AR mags are pretty easy to take apart...but I never have done it. Might be good to take the spring and follower out before painting them.

Oh, and welcome

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I've never seen paint stick very well to steel...so not sure how durable its going ot be for you.

Maybe you have never seen a car before??? In case you didnt know cars are made of steel and the paint holds on there just fine for years at high speeds as well.

To the OP.....Best thing to remember when painting a mag is that more is not better. nice light coats and let it fully dry before you use it.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I have a couple of mags for my mini-14 that accumulated some light rust from long-term storage. I put a wire brush to them to remove the rust, then "Rust-o-leum"-ed them black. Let 'em dry thoroughly, then fire away! :yesway:

ol' poke

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I use rustoleum camo paint. I tape the top part of the mag where it is to go into the receiver. Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I was afraid of the paint making it harder to install/remove the mag. Mine have held up really well.

Top Bottom