• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So I recently got a new AK that is unfinished metal. I wanna just spray paint it black but don't know what paint to use or what areas to tape off? It will have the furniture removed before painting. Any and all help welcome! Also if not black what's a good metal color to use?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm just curious but what kind of AK did you get?

as for paint, when I've painted an AK and just use rattle can paint there are two kinds that work well: appliance epoxy. Hard as nails once it cures, but it can be a little shiny for my liking. My 'go to' is Rustoleum semi-gloss (or is it low gloss) high temp (500 degree). Works great, bake it in an over after its on and it will match russian Saiga paint very well.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    It's s home built ak.

Do do you have to bake the rustoliam? If so do I hear to fully disassemble it or can I just tape off the areas I don't want coated. Which leads to my next question. What areas DO I NOT want to paint?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    You don't have to bake it. I do to speed things along a bit, and I think it makes the paint a little tougher.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I never mask off anything. I completely disassemble the rifle, hang the parts up so I can get to everything, and go to town.

The only thing I do is put the lower handguard retainer in its normal position and locked it down. Thats it! good luck!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    might. The low gloss high temp paint is a super great match for factory paint but if you want it less shiny I think they make a flat too.

another thing I took for granted, make sure you completely clean the rifle to get any oils/grease/dirt off before you paint. I typically use chlorinated brake parts cleaner and then let it dry (which is pretty quick) or blow it dry with air.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you can but taking the trigger group apart is pretty easy. Best thing to do is look on youtube, but basically you remove what ever kind of retainer is holding the axis pins in place, then contain the hammer spring how ever you want, pull the axis pins, and pull the parts.

IMO if this is a kit build with an unfinished receiver, you will want to get everything coated if you can. Otherwise rust will develop eventually unless you keep it well oiled.

jhelm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 4, 2015
    Washington
    I have had good luck learning how to do that from some excellent youtube videos. They really do a good job taking you step by step, and the outcome was like factory new. Check them out and post a pic of your completed job. Good luck

Top Bottom