• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Understood.

However, saying you made your stealth escape from riotville with your loved ones, could your unique rifle be seen in other surveillance video pinning you to a license plate?

Maybe you never took a shot, but other's did? And you are the only one to be identified?

Maybe some AFTIFA/BLM weinie decided to say that you pointed your gun at them, then they recorded you carrying your unique "automatic weapon of war," to your car?

I think if he is interested in the concept of the "gray man", he should think along these lines.

I know I do. I want to be unmemorable. See me, I leave, you forget about me.

But that is another conversation for another thread. I apologize for the thread drift. Seems I'm good at that.:)

Op, paint it however you like. Chances are, you will never be in such situations.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Call this tinfoil hat stuff, but I wonder about painting your defensive rifle unique enough that it could identify you in surveillance video?

If you have dressed in effective gray man attire and had to escape an area (shooting or not) could your custom painted long gun tie you back to that area?

Made me think of the scene in Johnny Dangerously when they were peeling layers of shelf paper off of the getaway car.

CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    When I shoot TSA or carbine matches in the summer sun, I often think of painting my AR. After leaving my rifle in a rack or on a table in full sun for an hour, and then handling it, I have been leaning toward light gray or white. This would probably destroy any resale value.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Many years ago, I found a great little gun shop deal on a gnarly looking camo painted Mossy 500 slug barrel. Little turpentine on a rag, elbow grease and the very clean blued surface came right back.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Camo jobs for me are just stocks, not the metal.
    Spray can w matte clear over.

bYeFOqj.jpg

Hookeye, how do you get the thin tan shading along the black with a spray can? I'm wanting to do this type of look (Riptile some call it), but I'm having trouble imagining I can get a thin outline without resorting to an airbrush which would put me into Duracoat.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Do any of you painters know how the paint holds up to gun cleaning solvents?

I bought a painted Savage FVSR 22. Assumed from the start that I'd likely take off the paint, but upon close inspection the painter had done a really nice sponged camo pattern on the whole gun and scope. I decided to leave the paint job.

The paint has pealed off of the synthetic stock where the FP10 has dripped off of the bolt on to it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Clear coat IMHO helps but adds some sheen.
    Reg flat camo paints do wear easily without it.
    Some folks like the worn look.

Remoil will take it off the metal eventually.

I only paint the stocks and matte clear em. Dont let oils/solvents sit on em, just wipe off w paper towel.

Yrs later, look like just painted

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So if I rattle can one and then use a CLP type cleaner, the paint won't dissolve before my eyes and make a huge mess?

I don't mind it wearing as I wouldn't really want it to be permanent. That way if wanted to return it to black, a day or so of elbow grease would get the paint off.

Wearing off is fine, flaking off onto my clothes, gear and safe would not be cool.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    i have used the dupli-color primer, and matte black for some awesome work. It's a poor mans Cerakote. Found at autozone. granted you gotta fit it in the oven.....

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    ?? Not sure I sure understand. So cleaning chemicals will remove the paint?

A lot is going to depend on the solvents used, but most will cause the paint to fail. If you wipe off any spills immediately any damage will be minimized. Even if the paint is removed its a simple matter to touch it up.
    The ones I've painted have been painted for reasons other than looking cool so I don't clearcoat because of the shine. If the paint gets scratched or cleaner removes it, oh well, I'll touch it up when it gets bad enough.

Top Bottom