• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have decided to paint my 597 stock. I'm going to look at supplies when i'm in Walmart. I have decided to go with an urban camo Blue, Black, and White. I will post pics of the entire process. I'm going to freehand, instead of using stencils. My question is for those who have done so using Krylon. Did you you rough the stock with sandpaper before applying the primer? To help it adhear better to the surface.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    How's it a waste of money lol? Paint is cheap, and I dont have to pay myself. Plus with the cold weather, it would be a nice project to help pass the time. I'm a maintenance man, I like doing things myself if I can. It may not come out as good as a profesional job, but it will be a good learning experience for me. If it looks bad I'll just do it, untill I'm happy with it.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    opps sorry I may have used the wrong shade of purple...
    I was more referring to what some people are posting about your flashlight attachment... I myself am also in the maintenance bussiness and feel the same way!

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    you can use a scotch brite pad to rough up the stock then prime and paint. if you do not like the look its simple to remove or just paint over. post some pics when your done
    021-1.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Well I looked at paint while in Walmart. They did not have all the colors I need. They also did not have spray primer, for plastic. I'll have to hit up a paint store, to see what I can find.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Well I looked at paint while in Walmart. They did not have all the colors I need. They also did not have spray primer, for plastic. I'll have to hit up a paint store, to see what I can find.

Get yourself a spray can of Kilz it stinks but is good stuff and will adhere to anything.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin

the walmart brand of primer that they sell for 1.00 will stick to a synthetic stock just fine

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I say do what u want to do. If u want to paint it camo then do it. U will like it. Just remember u get what u pay for with paint. I'll help I can airbrush. If u want help pm me I'll do it for fun and free. I love playing around with paint. It sounds like fun to me.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The camo krylon says it will stick to plastic because of FUSION technology. I used it on an ak22, without priming, and it sticks on fine.

It is a fun project and will look awesome. If you dont like it put down a new base coat and start again! I was going to paint my HiPoint 995, but I dont know if painting a HiPoint myself is worth it, I should go and pay more for someone else to paint it then I did for the firearm itself! :rolleyes:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You don't need to rough it up but you'll get better results if you degrease it. Any good solvent that doesn't leave a residue behind is fine. I like acetone.

Krylon seems to be the default choice and it works well. A big advantage of painting your rifle yourself is you can match the camo to the season. It won't last as long as a pro Duracoat job and it won't look as good if your main aim is taking pictures of your guns lying on your living room floor that you then post on the internet, but it is better for sticks that actually get used.

Don't listen to the detractors. Paint your gun yourself. I appreciate rust bluing and figured walnut, but high end paint is still paint. That and plastic parts molded in special colors are the male version of matching purses to shoes.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The camo krylon says it will stick to plastic because of FUSION technology. I used it on an ak22, without priming, and it sticks on fine.

It is a fun project and will look awesome. If you dont like it put down a new base coat and start again! I was going to paint my HiPoint 995, but I dont know if painting a HiPoint myself is worth it, I should go and pay more for someone else to paint it then I did for the firearm itself! :rolleyes:

Well I'm going to be using white, so I want to make sure the color of the stock does not show through. I want to use the least amount of paint possible.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    All my guns are range guns, except my Marlin 925M. None of them are going to see the woods. So humidity, and sweat are going to the paints only enemies.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    All I saw was metal primer!

it will still stick to plastic. light coat is all you need. actually you dont really need to primer. i do it just to give me a lighter colored stock to start with. if painting over black it ususally takes a lot of coats of paint.

Top Bottom