• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I plan on getting back into .308 at some point this year. I see Palmetto has gen 2 stuff out now. Could I get some input on these. Mainly interested in reliability and accuracy at the price point as they have rifles in the $599 to $699 range currently. I remember reading about the first gen stuff having some issues and being a mix/match of parts.

I don't want this to be a discussion about other rifles outside the AR platform please, there's already a good thread going about other .308 rifle options.

Thanks!

Ammunition, AR15 Parts, Magazines, Bulk Ammo - Palmetto State Armory

jag09

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indy/Cloverdale
    There are a couple of threads over on reddit/AR10 of people who are running the Gen 2 PA10, the changes they needed to make, etc. When I was researching them it seemed like changing out the gas block or opening up the ports was a must. If I can locate the threads I am talking about I can pm you links.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I can't speak to the Gen 2 (I don't think - built mine in late 2015 from their kit), but I've been very happy with it. No issues whatsoever.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I would really like to have one in 18" or 20" SS barrel with an M-LOK free float handguard. I would buy it without reading reviews as I have had good luck with PSA over the years (I have NOT purchased a complete firearm from them and I understand this is no basis on which to expect good performance). I've never heard they have sloppy tolerances, so since I load my own ammo I believe I could get one to decent accuracy.

I also would like to hear from anyone who has one and their experience with it.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I'm interested this too. I've been wanting to a short barreled (12.5") AR-10, and was thinking one of these would be an inexpensive place to start. I understand a 12.5" 308 isn't efficient.... already have a PTR PDW SBR (8.5" barrel), but just have a hankering for another thumper, and would like it in the AR platform.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have a gen 2 20”, it is a fat pig, but reliability has been 100%. I can’t speak to accuracy since I’ve only shot cheap surplus ammo through it; shooting steel at 100 to 125 yards with that surplus ammo, it does great.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    If anyone knows who elfsters is (very popular on a few forums), he bought one to do a review, and had to send the gun back due to a NASTY problem with the barrel crown. It looked as if they almost ran threads in the rifling. However, I have seen a few reviews on the hide with promising accuracy reviews. It APPEARS that these rifles are hit or miss in quality. However, for $700 shipped i find it hard to complain much...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have a gen 2 20”, it is a fat pig, but reliability has been 100%.

So, how would you feel about trying to hit a small black dot 200 yds away 22 times in a row, while standing? The dot is actually 13" in diameter and you'd get 22 minutes to accomplish the task.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    So, how would you feel about trying to hit a small black dot 200 yds away 22 times in a row, while standing? The dot is actually 13" in diameter and you'd get 22 minutes to accomplish the task.

Offhand, iron sights? I probably couldn’t; gun is so heavy it doesn’t lend itself to offhand shooting, and my eyes suck.

Supported by something, with a scope, no problem.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Offhand, iron sights? I probably couldn’t; gun is so heavy it doesn’t lend itself to offhand shooting, and my eyes suck.

Supported by something, with a scope, no problem.

I would be interested in what it weighs without a full mag. An M1-A comes in around 12-14 lbs, any chance you know what is weighs?

The reason I ask is that I think it would be fun to shoot .308 in an AR platform in competition. But if the rifle is approaching 18 - 20 lbs. that may be prohibitive in offhand.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    After doing tons of research I decided to not buy the Palmetto .308, but instead getting a used Windham Weaponry. I found some good write-ups in other forums about the Palmetto and they are definitely hit or miss. Some folks who had good results had to do some 'smithing to get em to run right, being badly overgassed was a common complaint. I realize at the price point some of this is to be expected, however I've learned over the years it's better for me to just pony up a few more bucks and not deal with potential problems on entry level/budget priced guns because I tried to save a little cash. Headaches can get expensive.

Top Bottom