• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWiz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I almost got a RAS47 a while ago (even posted about it) but ended up buying something else entirely but I kept it in mind. Recently though while buying stuff at Palmetto I saw that they made an AK. The AK Operators Union seemed to give it a good review, I don't think he was as kind to the RAS47. Has anyone had a chance to shoot both? I favor these two because because they both are available in with Magpul furniture. I would rather not install it afterwards.

I also am aware that most people seem to favor the WASR-10. I also can not afford to get an Arsenal, I just bought an AR-10 and started a 300 BLk AR build (well not a complete build, I bought a complete upper and will be getting a complete lower. I will save the builder title for guys who actually build from the ground up.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    RAS47 (and c39) are out of spec, too soft or too brittle cast parts junk. There are many examples out there that have broken trunnions, or out of battery discharges within 1,000 or so rounds. The PSA AK is better, especially if you spring for the forged bolt and carrier.

my choice would be VEPR or Saiga (still attainable for $800 or so used) a Norinco (same $800-ish used) or the WASR ($550 new if you find it on sale)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would rather have a used wasr over either of those. Keep an eye on Atlantic Arms. They run some good deals. Also, I got an email today from kvar who has the slr-107r rifles in OD greenor tan for $850.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Save your money and get an ak of the non exploding variety. Unlike AR15's there is a huge quality gap that follows pricing. Keep an eye out for a used arsenal, wasr, proper saiga, vepr, Norinco, etc. You'll not regret it and it will continue to grow in value.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    [video=youtube;DJB9x2IPx8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJB9x2IPx8Q&t=0s[/video]

[video=youtube;WHImLkh0EWc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHImLkh0EWc&t=6s[/video]

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    ^yeah, somehow I knew about the damage to Tim's C39, glad to see he finally dropped the video. Those are dangerously crappy made rifles. It seemed to be holding up fine, but like any other firearm close scrutiny is a must.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    Classic has these Hungarian AMD 63's for $429.99. They're ugly as sin (IMO), but I just purchased one and plan on exchanging out the metal foregrip for a Magpul foregrip to achieve the look and feel I'm going for with it. So for sub $500 you could have a FEG built AK with an American Barrel and a few other decent quality parts. IMO this is a much better buy than both of the ones you have listed.

Also, for the price it's hard for me to justify spending a few hundred more for a WASR or equivalent. That could very well just be me though... I've been researching and researching these for a week now lol

http://bit.ly/2ItinIp

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Also, for the price it's hard for me to justify spending a few hundred more for a WASR or equivalent. That could very well just be me though... I've been researching and researching these for a week now lol

The biggest complaint I've heard about those AMDs from Classic are the barrels. If this is your first AK, go with the WASR. All the standard furniture fits and you get a mounted side rail.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The Hungarian rifles referenced above have gotten decent reviews but they are NOT FEG builds. They are parts kits and receivers built by CAI. Good price though and Military Arms Channel has a positive review.

If I were buying an entry level AK right now, I would look at Atlantic Arms. They have several custom builds including Romy Md 65 and Md 63 variants and a cool one they call a paratrooper.

AK47 Rifle Romanian Paratrooper

And FYI for the AK folks, Atlantic has Md 65 reverse dong handguard sets in stock for $69.00. these are almost impossible to find normally. I was going to order one of the Md 65 underfolder BPU models when I saw the handguards. I plan on throwing it on my WASR underfolder.

SOUP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Noblesville
    Ahh the ad on Classic states, "FEG factory marked Heavy Wall Receiver" so I'm hoping it actually is that...

I'm really not too concerned though, I've watched a lot of review videos on them and I'm pretty confident in what I ordered, especially for the price. It should fit my needs, which is casually shooting maybe one or two times a month if I'm lucky. A higher end AK will be on the list in the future for sure. I'll be saving your link!

Top Bottom