• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How tight can you make a 1911 without effecting reliability? I swapped a "drop in" Storm Lake into my Springer Loaded and it's pretty tight. A good snap on the slide will open it up. It's nothing like stock though. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet.

If you have to "Pop" it to get it un-locked you might be an the tight side. Cycle the slide and put the barrel into battery. Push down on the back of the barrel "Hood".....if it drops at all there is more work to be done.
    Even a drop in barrel needs to be fit up sometimes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The problem with the Kart barrel is the outside of the barrel bushing was over cut to the point that it is loose. The barrel is good but a new bushing needs to be fitted.

The Army moved away from the precision matches and to the M9 pistol. I stopped shooting for the Army Reserve when the All Army Match was opened to any soldier who wanted to shoot there. I think All Army was opened up because there was little marksmanship funding for the Division and numbered Army matches.

There are any number of good bushings out there. Nowling offers a few that may be very close. Just a bit of love required to get it fit up.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I received the PSA slide yesterday and picked up the frame today. The slide and frame have an even matte and the machining looks good. The slide/frame fit is not tight and movement can be felt up, down and side to side when checking. I received a frame with checkering and the checkering is deep and sharp.

With all the extra machining on the slide and frame this is a good deal for me. PSA 1911 PE000255 014.JPG PSA 1911 PE000255 015.JPG

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I received the PSA slide yesterday and picked up the frame today. The slide and frame have an even matte and the machining looks good. The slide/frame fit is not tight and movement can be felt up, down and side to side when checking. I received a frame with checkering and the checkering is deep and sharp.

With all the extra machining on the slide and frame this is a good deal for me. View attachment 38524 View attachment 38525

How much movement???

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    How much movement???

Well I have a few 1911s but all except a rack grade military 1911A1 and a Charles Daly are match prepared. I purchased the Charles Daly because of the tight clearances. The PSA is about half way between the match prepared 1911s (no movement) and the military 1911A1 with a Colt military replacement slide (a little tighter than the average rack grade 1911A1) . I left a job at a tool and die shop so I no longer have access to dial indicators and measuring tools other than an inexpensive digital caliper.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Only thing about that psa frame is that it's missing the side spring housing for the safety lever and slide release.
    and the upper slide thingy on top of the frame.
    Would these require soldering or welding?

prices look good

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Only thing about that psa frame is that it's missing the side spring housing for the safety lever and slide release.
    and the upper slide thingy on top of the frame.
    Would these require soldering or welding?

prices look good

I think you are asking about the ejector and the plunger tube. The ejector is pinned and the plunger tube is staked. This tool will help secure the plunger tube correctly. Some people have used red Loctite to secure these parts.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ube-staking-tool-sku634000001-9489-23460.aspx

Top Bottom