Pan Pizza - Union Jack or Ale Emporium or ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For years I thought that for a Chicago-style pan pizza, Union Jack was THE pizza in Indianapolis. That is until I had one from Ale Emporium.

I like them both, but Ale Emporium, I think, has the edge overall. Great crust, a good sauce that isn't too sweet, quality toppings, and more cheese than should be allowed by law (e.g. the waitress told me that that she won't even ring up an order for extra cheese because they can't get all of it to melt without ruining the rest of the pizza).

Let's limit the discussion to the Indy area, including Carmel/Zionsville, Noblesville, Avon/Plainfield, and Greenwood. Agree? Disagree? Have another favorite (besides the Chicago originals like Gino's and Lou's)???

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    union Jacks is not as good as it used to be, i will have to make a trip to the Ale, especiall if the late Show is going to be there:popcorn:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I thought that was from my kitchen. 12" cast iron skillet. Press in the dough. Layer sliced fresh mozzarella on the bottom, fill with toppings, cover with high quality strained crushed tomatoes, then with freshly grated Parmesan. Bake till crispy. Yum. :)

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I'll cast another vote for our homemade. Hard to beat oven fresh homemade. I would give you the recipe, but you have to marry someone in the family first.

HB

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    if you guy's haven't tried the pie at the Ale then you need to make the trip. i swear that thing must have five pounds of cheese on it, you won't poop for a month. good stuff.
    FYI, it's a bar, so don't bring the kids.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    if you guy's haven't tried the pie at the Ale then you need to make the trip. i swear that thing must have five pounds of cheese on it, you won't poop for a month. good stuff.
    FYI, it's a bar, so don't bring the kids.

But if you like beer, it's great. One of the best tap and bottle lists in the city.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm a fan of the deep dish pie at Roselli's in Carmel / Zionsville.

Former Chicagoland guys that opened up in NW Indy (81st & Michigan Rd.) about 15 years ago before moving north to the 'burbs about 5 years ago (106th & Michigan Rd.)

Rosellis Pizza, Lunch Buffet, Catering, Banquets | Parties - A Chicago Pizzeria

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I went there once with my wife, and I thought the pizza sucked. Maybe I just went on an off night or something, but who knows.

However, I did not have the deep dish pie. I thought it was also kind of expensive, we had a pie and two beers and it was like $35 - $40.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Union Jack's.

When I visit Broad Ripple (somewhat often), I always get their BBQ pizza with pineapple and chicken. It's as thick as lasagna. Mouth orgasm.

suds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Zionsville
    Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I went there once with my wife, and I thought the pizza sucked. Maybe I just went on an off night or something, but who knows.

However, I did not have the deep dish pie. I thought it was also kind of expensive, we had a pie and two beers and it was like $35 - $40.

Agreed...The standard thin pie at Roselli's is decent but nothing to write home about and generally a little on the pricey side.

The deep dish is much better in my opinion...rich crust with the chunky tomato sauce on top of the cheese as a true Chicago style pie should be.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Try 'the big chicago' pizza at Dom di Carlo's in Noblesville. Damn yummy. Very very damn yummy.

BlisterPac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Ale and Union Jacks are both very good.

I preferred Nancy's pizza when it was on 96th street in Fishers. Actually Chicago pizza (chain based in Chicago).

Locally, I suggest Gramboli's (Pendleton Pike store). Great deep dish pizza, and more family oriented. I don't think I can get the kids into Ale, don't want to take them to Broad Ripple or across town to Speedway.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    There is/was a pizza shop in a Zionsville Strip mall next to the middle school. Colts Offensive line used to eat there every week. Went there when I worked in the area and it was very good!

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Locally, I suggest Gramboli's (Pendleton Pike store). Great deep dish pizza, and more family oriented. I don't think I can get the kids into Ale, don't want to take them to Broad Ripple or across town to Speedway.

+1
    I set up a store on Pendleton Pike a few about 4 or 5 years ago and Grambolis was great ate there about twice a week. Ive been lookin for a reason to go that way so i can eat there again

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    best pizza I've ever had, believe it or not, was in Albuquerque, NM at a little place called Pizza Castle. I have yet to find a pizza that even comes close to their peperoni and green chile pie

Top Bottom