• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Its time to upgrade from the 46" Samsung DLP back to a 60". (I used to have a 60" Sony that died so I pick up the Samsung for almost nothing)
    I'm going to get a blue ray surround sound system to go with the new TV. Walmart is selling both a Samsung and a Panasonic 60" plasmas for under $900. I want the Blue ray to be the same brand so the remote will work both. What would you go with?

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Depending on the model, Panny makes some of the best Plasmas on the market today for a pretty good price, the professional models are beautiful.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    +1 for Samsung, in my lifetime (less then 30 years) of all 6 tv's I have bought everyone of them have been Samsung.

They work, the pictures are great, cost effective, their remotes work on all their products out of the box.

I should note we have an LCD, LED, Plasma, and old tube tv, and I am not sure which the last is, its an HDTV set 1080p flat screen but the size of an old tube... My oldest was bought in 1998 still kicking strong.

Last edited:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Those reviews were almost useless.

My plasma will warm the room, but it's a large room, it will not make it hot or warm it more then a degree over a couple 3-4 hours.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Both make excellent Plasmas. I prefer Panasonic. If you hold out you very well may get a better deal on Amazon. I'm pretty sure both of the models I saw at Walmart were the lower tier ones. Not bad tvs mind you, but if it's like last year Amazon will have better models for the same price or lower. On the Panasonic Plasma units the mid tier is the way to go IMO. The main thing you get on the highest end unit is THX certification, and some other stuff that probably won't matter unless you are a BIG video buff. The mid tier gives some solid upgrades over the lower tier that any fan of quality video can appreciate. I got my 50in ST30 from Amazon for $830 last year. Now different people have different wants and needs out of a TV so the ones Walmart has may suit you perfectly, and Amazon may not have the killer deals they had last year but it's defiantly something worth looking into. If nothing else Amazon has a great chart comparing the features across the Panasonic Plasma line. XX30 was last years line XX50 is this years I think. Also loads of reviews for most TVs on there. One more also if you are looking into buying online check the shipping. Lots of stuff on Amazon has free shipping but if a tv that size doesn't the shipping cost is really going to hurt.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Samsung. They're picture quality is amazing. And last I checked, they also have the number one rated BluRay player on the market. I like things to match. :D

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Samsung. They're picture quality is amazing. And last I checked, they also have the number one rated BluRay player on the market. I like things to match. :D

Same here, I bought the "matching" smart tv Blu ray player for my Samsung LCD tv, I'm happy with both products.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Samsung make some nice stuff BUT.....

Why on earth would anyone want a plasma? They draw 3-4x the power of a LCD and cost alot more than a LCD usually.

Go LCD LED (backlit) and You will be able to get a larger tv for less cost than what the plasma will cost. You can burn a plasma screen. You wont burn a lcd screen.

Top Bottom