• ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Samsung make some nice stuff BUT.....

Why on earth would anyone want a plasma? They draw 3-4x the power of a LCD and cost alot more than a LCD usually.

Go LCD LED (backlit) and You will be able to get a larger tv for less cost than what the plasma will cost. You can burn a plasma screen. You wont burn a lcd screen.

Gosh, I wish people would really stop and read, observe and compare.

You can buy a 60 inch LG Plasma @ Fry's this weekend for 799.00, can you touch a 60 LED for that price.

No.

Power consumption, you'll save anywhere from one to two dollars a month LED vs. plasma.

Plasma has richer colors and truer blacks, are better suited for watching sports and will have less bleeding due to the fact that they are running @ 600mhz.

Most LED's/LCD's are @ 120 with higher end ones being 240.

Now if you're going to consider Plasma, do not pass up looking at the LG models.

2 years ago I was about 30 seconds from plucking down the 1400.00 for a 50 inch Panasonic plasma @ HH Gregg and decided to check out the the 60 inch Plasma @ Fry's for 1100.00, glad I did and I've never looked back.

I'm not someone who's a novice at this, I still have my 11 year old Mitsubishi HD 1080i monitor, I take my time and research and compare. I've been on the cutting edge of HDTV since it came out and I've been sporting a Optoma HD6800 DLP HD (1080p) with a LG HDTV receiver since Dec of 2005 with a 9 foot screen upstairs.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Best 5 HDTVs: Picture quality - CNET Reviews

3 of 5 are Panny plasmas.

When they bought out the Pioneer Elite/Kuro unit a few years back, they got their money's worth.

Big +1 there, the old Pioneer Plasmas were unbelievable. Those TVs from 4-5 year ago look as good or better than any LED TV today. They cost a fortune though.

I have had a samsung plasma for about 8 years now. Most of the negatives you hear about plasma like excess heat, burn in, etc are all a bunch of horse plop.

My 8yr old 50" 720p samsung plasma looks better than my 2 year old Sony 1080p LCD.

As far as panasonic vs samsung, ford vs chevy, glock vs xd. Both are equally good, just preference on price and looks. That is unless you are going for their high end stuff, in that case the old pioneer/now panasonic stuff is amazing.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Samsung make some nice stuff BUT.....

Why on earth would anyone want a plasma? They draw 3-4x the power of a LCD and cost alot more than a LCD usually.

Go LCD LED (backlit) and You will be able to get a larger tv for less cost than what the plasma will cost. You can burn a plasma screen. You wont burn a lcd screen.

Maybe 10 years ago. A lot has changed:
    Busting the Plasma TV Myths

Put the 60" TVs at Best Buy in order by cost. The cheapest is a DLP but I'm done buying bulbs. Next cheapest is a plasma.

I just pulled up threes TVs:
    Sharp - AQUOS - 60" LCD, (LC-60E69U) Power Consumption (watts) 400
    Sony - 60" LED, (KDL60EX645) Power Consumption (watts) 170
    Panasonic - 60" Plasma, (TC-P60UT50) Power Consumption (watts) 139

Looks like a plasma gets the green energy sticker in this comparo.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Plasma trumps most LCDs in terms of IQ and colors. As far as brand, I have experience with both sets you are looking at and both are fantastic. No loser here.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Why would I want to put an LED against your plasma?

Then why would you go LED? Worse colors, worse black quality, worse sharpness and more expensive across the board. The only thing an LED has going for it is better brightness and slightly better power consumption.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have both a Samsung LED and Plasma. Honestly, I can not tell a difference in the color. They are both great IMO.

The LED only has one advantage as far as I am concerned. It is way lighter = easier to hang/mount/set on something. YMMV

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have both a Samsung LED and Plasma. Honestly, I can not tell a difference in the color. They are both great IMO.

The LED only has one advantage as far as I am concerned. It is way lighter = easier to hang/mount/set on something. YMMV

Yeah I should probably quantify color differences. I have my TV's calibrated and actually own a SPL meter to adjust my speakers. Most people will probably never be able to tell the difference but I am anal about these types of things.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

While I "may" notice a difference between LED and plasma, right now I don't make enough to justify the price difference. Heck, my 42" vizio LCD looks pretty good for the price I paid for it(aside from non-HD channels and non-HD dvd's). Are there better tv's? Yea, sure...but not at that price.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Samsung's are notoriously quirky with their QC. A LOT of people have had issues with LCD's, including myself...so much so that I will never own another samsung TV.

Panasonic's are decent, but for a little research; you can get a steal around tax/superbowl time.

Before you buy anything, adjust the contrast and brightness levels on the TV's to what you would use at home, and go from there. A bunch of big box stores make perfectly great TV's look like **** because they mess with the menu settings to sell the more expensive/marked up models.

Check the refresh rate, blackness levels, and look for ghosting. If it doesn't have that and the quality meets your standards go ahead and go for it.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Check the refresh rate, blackness levels, and look for ghosting. If it doesn't have that and the quality meets your standards go ahead and go for it.

^^^^
    This above is what Plasma screens excel @, superior refresh rates, blacker blacks and crisper colors and no ghosting due to the refresh rate and generally lower prices than LED's.

LED's are the new craze, and customers are paying the price for it, they should be only slightly more expensive than LCD's.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    If you truely care about picture quality, you will buy a plasma.
    Panasonic's ST, GT and VT series plasma's have been tops for several years.
    With Samsung coming in 2nd in terms of picture.
    Then again, most people are apparently color blind. I see soooo many nice Tv's that are adjusted to put out the most horrid pictures. Nice green tinted skin, blue grass, etc. or flaming red faces. If you are in that league, then it doesn't matter one iotta what you buy.

Top Bottom