• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dannyb89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    I was at the range this weekend with a few friends teaching them the basics of handgun marksmanship. I had brought 3 handguns for them to try different calibers. The largest caliber being my Para P13.45. Towards the end of the day I went to empty my last magazine and the gun jammed after 3 rounds. I dropped the mag, cleared the gun, and started to disassemble it to determine the problem. I discovered that the spring guide had broken. As this is the first failure I have had with any of my firearms, I am looking for advice/ opinions.

1. Is this a common issue to deal with in 1911 pistols?
    2. Are there any other parts that I should just plan on replacing while the gun is down?
    3. Should I go back with stock parts or go for upgraded performance parts?

Any and all comments are much appreciated! :ingo:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    What type of guide rod was it? Is it a one or 2 piece rod? How long have you has the pistol? How many rounds have been run through it?

I would go with a GI style set-up. Since yours is a P13, that is a Commander sized gun.

Get the following-
    ED BROWN : Commander Recoil Spring Plug, Blue (087-000-020) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

ED BROWN : Commander Recoil Spring Guide, Blue (087-000-031) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

ED BROWN : 20lb. Commander Recoil Spring (087-000-046) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

If your Para is Stainless, just get the Stainless parts.

I have always run the GI recoil system in my 1911's and have never had a problem with it. Full length guide rods were an answer to a question that was never asked.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I'm not a perfeshional or anything, but I think a broken guide rod is a manufacturing defect.
    Call Para and have them send you another one.
    IMHO that is.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Guide Rod breaking is not "common". Assuming it is a full length guide rod (aka FLGR), I would agree with Dog1 and revert it back to a GI recoil assembly. Parts he listed are top of the line and will serve you well!

dannyb89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thanks to everyone for the info..
    @ Dog 1. I've had the pistol for about 2 years now and I bought it slightly used. I myself have probably put around 1,000 rounds through the pistol since purchasing it. I was looking into replacing the mainspring right before the guide broke.. haha.

Here are some images of the disassembled gun.. It has the two piece guide rod.. I just thought it a little weird that it broke like it did. Also, is there any benefit of using the guide rod buffers?

img0699xg.jpg
    [/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

img0702k.th.jpg
    [/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'd just replace it with a standard Commander sized recoil spring guide and new spring. Sorta weird it broke like that, don't think I've ever seen that happen before. I don't use buffers, just use good springs and you'll be fine. :twocents:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    You had the original GI style set-up...but I would bet that a worn out recoil spring was the real culprit.

A weak and worn out spring will cause slide to batter the rod and frame.

Get a new SS guide and a recoil spring. I would bet that if you compare a new recoil spring to the old one that the old one will shorter.

Do not use the shock buffs...I have seen more 1911's jammed up because of them, than they help.

Regular recoil spring replacement is the key...about every 3000-5000 rounds....45 wears out springs quick...quicker in the shorter 1911's.

When you buy the springs, buy 4 or 5...they are cheap insurance.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    look and see if there is a dent on the inside of the recoil spring plug.......if there is your breakage was cause by a wore out spring....:twocents:

dannyb89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, I appreciated it! One more question before I order the parts; What is your opinion of going back with a heavier recoil spring (22lb)? I had read a post about the p13.45 saying that the heavier spring reduced recoil. Are there any downsides to doing this??

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Thanks to everyone for the replies, I appreciated it! One more question before I order the parts; What is your opinion of going back with a heavier recoil spring (22lb)? I had read a post about the p13.45 saying that the heavier spring reduced recoil. Are there any downsides to doing this??

the down side is your won't pistol won't eject right with light loads....find out what the stock should be.....i would think 16 # would be stock.....if it where mine i wouldn't go any higher than 18# unless you shoot hot loads and +P ammo......you put in to heavy of spring your pistol won't cycle at all.....you'll have a single shot....:twocents:

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Danny, Great question on spring weight and yes you can run a heavier spring...to a point. ghitch is exactly right that too heavy a spring will not allow your Para to cycle. That said to my knowledge Colt currently runs a 18lb spring as "stock" in their Commander length guns (which yours is). I normally run a 20lb spring in my Commander's with great success, as do many, but do not shoot light loads with this spring so YMMV. It does cycle VERY reliably with 230 grain non +P and has run flawlessly with loads down to 185gr.

The logic in running a heavy spring is as you stated, changing the recoil impulse (feel), and also minimizes frame battering (which caused your problem), and provides more positive chambering. If you wan't to expiriment get an 18 and a 20 lb Wolff set and try both. Make sure you install the extra power FP spring that comes with the Wolff kits.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Danny, Great question on spring weight and yes you can run a heavier spring...to a point. ghitch is exactly right that too heavy a spring will not allow your Para to cycle. That said to my knowledge Colt currently runs a 18lb spring as "stock" in their Commander length guns (which yours is). I normally run a 20lb spring in my Commander's with great success, as do many, but do not shoot light loads with this spring so YMMV. It does cycle VERY reliably with 230 grain non +P and has run flawlessly with loads down to 185gr.

The logic in running a heavy spring is as you stated, changing the recoil impulse (feel), and also minimizes frame battering (which caused your problem), and provides more positive chambering. If you wan't to expiriment get an 18 and a 20 lb Wolff set and try both. Make sure you install the extra power FP spring that comes with the Wolff kits.

i thought they where 5"......not to up on par's.....more of a Colt guy myself....yes 18# for commander....

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Top Bottom