• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Anybody have one? I have been looking at getting one to carry. It has a 12 round magazine and is in good shape. Asking $450. What do you think?

I am looking for a small 1911 design to carry for under $500

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Quality control from Para-Ordnance is hit or miss. You either get a gun that won't work, or one that is as reliable as any Glock, without much in between.

For a gun that functions, $450 is a good price. Is it the alloy frame lightweight, or steel? Is it the old version, or a newer gun with the beavertail grip safety, better sights, etc?

I ask if I could test fire a few magazine-fulls with my carry ammo before committing to buying it. If it works, go for it.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Have to agree with rhino about Para Ordnance I was not too happy with my Carry-9 at first because of several several fte, but then I think every gun should be like a glock in that you should be able to take it out of the box and it should shoot. Now after 500 rounds and letting it hang around my G26 and G36 it has become a family member. :thumbsup:

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Quality control from Para-Ordnance is hit or miss. You either get a gun that won't work, or one that is as reliable as any Glock, without much in between.

For a gun that functions, $450 is a good price. Is it the alloy frame lightweight, or steel? Is it the old version, or a newer gun with the beavertail grip safety, better sights, etc?

I ask if I could test fire a few magazine-fulls with my carry ammo before committing to buying it. If it works, go for it.

Its the older with the steel frame. How could i test fire it? Its at a local gun store without a range.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Its the older with the steel frame. How could i test fire it? Its at a local gun store without a range.

You could check if they will take it back and refund your money if it doesn't work. Since it's a used gun, no longer under warranty, it seems like a fair request.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I certainly don't know much about 1911s in general, but the only Para I ever shot had multiple FTFs. But then again, I've heard that there is a specigic break in period for these guns. I don think $450 is a good price.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    rhino's comments are spot on. my PO guns run fine, but then they've been tweaked a bit. the little time i've spent with my full size lda is positive, but it hasn't seen 500 rds yet. had a p10 for awhile and it ran fine on ball ammo, but didn't care for much else.
    if you can't get a reasonable "take it back if it doesn't work" agreement, i think you should pass.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Rock Island Armory guns are usually rough, but they also usually work really well. Given that, the shorter the barrel/slide is, the more likely a given example is going to be troublesome, regardless of the manufacturer. This is why buy used Paras (and other 1911s, especially compacts) is preferable in my opinion to buying new guns. You have a better chance of getting to test drive it before you buy, or at least work a deal for money back if it doesn't function properly.

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    Paul, Bradis has several compact size 1911 style guns right now. I handled a few of them yesterday. You might want to run down there and check it out. I don't remember the pricing, but I'll fill you in the next time I stop by.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Paul, Bradis has several compact size 1911 style guns right now. I handled a few of them yesterday. You might want to run down there and check it out. I don't remember the pricing, but I'll fill you in the next time I stop by.

ok thanks, nick was telling me they had some but havent stopped in yet to check them out. I might have changed my mind and might be going with a SIG P239 instead...i cant decide :):

Top Bottom