• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillyJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

I need some advice and practical reasoning between these two handguns. I've been doing a lot of research on Kimbers lately, and i have fallen in love with their quality. However, recently, I found the Para Warthog for sale (online) and I feel like it may be a good competitor to the Kimber.

Uses/Needs:

1. Everyday Conceal carry (must be light, both i think are ~25oz.)
    2. Must be slim (I know the Kimber is single stack, however, the Para seems to be a double stack design)
    3. Reliability

So my questions would be how much thicker is the doubstack design of the para vs. the kimber? I like that the Para offers 10+1 of 45 ACP and Kimber only offers 7+1. Just wanting to know if the non standard 1911 grip width of the para is uncomfortable or bulky to handle.

Thanks for your help!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I have a Para Warthog. It is a double stack 1911 but the total grip width of a double stack Para is probably no more than 1/8th of an inch thicker than a single stack Kimber. The reason for that is the grips on the Para are very thin while the wood grips on a standard 1911 like the small Kimber are much thicker. Assuming you compare a stock Kimber 'Ultra' series gun with the stock grips on the Para, the guns will be nearly identical in thickness.

What you will notice about the Para grip is that the BACKSTRAP where the mainspring housing is located is slighly more squared off. Ditto the frontstrap and the frontstrap is much wider across the face. But while a somewhat different shape, the overall grip thickness is within 1/8 of an inch at the thickest parts.

The photo below shows a Para Carry 9 (same size as a Kimber "Ultra" series pistol) sitting next to a Para Warthog. The photo makes the Warthog APPEAR to be much thicker than it really is. I wish I had put a tape measure on this photo when I had taken it. But you will notice the thickness at the mainspring housing is almost identical on both guns. The front of the grip, hidden by the plastic magazine bottom, is where you see the thickness difference.
    attachment-1.jpg

For whatever it is worth, I carry both of these guns, really like both of these guns, both guns share the same holsters.

As for shooting the small lightweight 45 pistols, I think the Para Warthog is one of the easiest of all of them to control because it has a somewhat fatter grip the recoil seems to be spread over a larger bearing surface of your palm.

Clearly others may have different opinions about shooting a Warthog. But there is no question that a small 1911, in any fashion by any maker can be a tough little gun to master. I collect the original small 45 auto pistols, the Detonics Combat Masters, have a couple dozen of those, and I shoot many of them so I enjoy the little 45 pistols. From the recoil standpoint, handling the small Warthog is pretty much a dream.

a1.jpg

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If it's Para v. Kimber I've pick Para. Too many people with Kimber problems. I'd rather not have cutomer service tell me to run 500 rounds through a gun before sending it in for a problem. Not for what they charge. It should run out of the box. Any ammo. Period.

I've shot a Warthog, and at 7 yards I was shoting a < 1" group offhand.

I like the thicker grip in my hand compared to a single stack 1911. The slide on the Warthog (compact) was easier to rack than the Kimber SIS (full size) that my buddy sold.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Get both.:dunno:
    :D

Do you know anyone that has these guns that you could borrow to go shoot?

I have the cdp pro carry that you could try out.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I personally prefer the Para over Kimber. Thats just me though, I know several people that have Kimbers and love them. I just really like Para. Good luck with your decision.

BillyJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Get both.:dunno:
    :D

Do you know anyone that has these guns that you could borrow to go shoot?

I have the cdp pro carry that you could try out.

Thanks IndyMonkey for the offer. I do have a friend that has a Kimber CDP that I have shot. I'm a 1911 newbie so it's the ONLY one i've shot. I did like it though, without anything to compare it to. I have not shot the Para Warthog OR even held one so I have no idea if the grip suits my hand.

Just wanting to know the viewpoints of people who have experience with both.

Thanks all for the replies!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The main problem that I have with these guns are that they are so small, light with a short barrel that they are too abusive for me to shoot comfortably.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Try to find a Para you can hold, drool over, fondle, etc and see how it feels in your hand. I have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II as my EDC gun and love it. It is a fantastic gun and I've never felt the recoil as to being to much. My son started shooting it when he was 11 yrs old and it is his favorite gun to shoot at the range.

Buy which ever one fits your hand best, either one is going to make a great gun for you. :rockwoot:

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    OK, I'm going to go against the majority that have spoken in this thread... <gasp>

No harm intended, this is just my opinion.

If you can get a hold of a Para in a shop, and then pick up a Kimber, I think you'll find that the Kimbers have a better feel, fit, and finish.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    I have a Kimber cdp 2 utlra. I love that gun, it shoots well and is very accurate. As far as carrying goes, it is one of the easiest guns to carry, imho, unless you are talking about a pocket gun. I think you should try and find a dealer or shop that has both brands, even if they don't have the size you are looking for. That way you can look at various models and see which ones fit you best. I know with the kimbers they make each model is several sizes, so if you can find one in full or commander size it will give you a good idea on fit and quality. :twocents:

BillyJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Update: I decided to go with the Kimber. The size and thinness fits my quite well. picking up the Ultra Crimson Carry II tomorrow! Thanks for all your feedback...pics to follow of course!

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Update: I decided to go with the Kimber. The size and thinness fits my quite well. picking up the Ultra Crimson Carry II tomorrow! Thanks for all your feedback...pics to follow of course!

Where are you pickin it up at?

Top Bottom