• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmiley1963

Plinker
    Oct 20, 2011
    I was in Parabellum on Friday evening with a buddy. Both of us are experienced shooters. It was my 3rd time at the range. While I can say that I have been very impressed with the facility, personnel and clientele on my first two visits, I was very concerned with the clientele on Friday evening. The range was very busy, which is great for Parabellum. However, the lack of responsibility and safety practices that were seen on Friday was very disconcerting. I, as well as my friend, were muzzle swept at least 4 or 5 times by other shooters not paying attention to where they were pointing their weapons. On more than one occasion, I saw shooters loading their weapons at the back table instead of at the firing line as you should. We all know that safety is the number one concern when handling firearms and what I saw on Friday was just an accident waiting to happen. If Parabellum doesn't have active Range Officers (RO) on the firing line, especially on busy nights like Friday, it may be something they may want to think about. The last thing I want to see happen is someone get hurt due to someones inexperience or lack of responsibility. Just my two cents.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm with Six. Speak up while you are there. If you dont feel comfortable politely addressing the scallywags yourself, go say something to the guys at the counter. Its all on video as I recall, and they do a pretty good job of keeping an eye on the line overall. Sometimes the less obvious stuff might not show up on the screen resulting in a responsible shooter being required to alert them.

Just dont take the "snitches are *****es" attitude and keep your mouth shut waiting for it to self correct. That self correction may not be what you seem to expect, and could end up being messy.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    We're working on issues like this, but we can't be out on the line the entire time we're open.

PLEASE, let us know right away if you see this happening and you don't want to say something to the offender. I have no problem telling people to straighten up or get out (those who know me know I can be, uh, tactless...).

Phoenix1

Plinker
    Aug 7, 2014
    Greenwood
    Just dont take the "snitches are *****es" attitude and keep your mouth shut waiting for it to self correct. That self correction may not be what you seem to expect, and could end up being messy.

Totally agree. I made a minor mistake a month ago at Atterbury and was called out in it. I accepted the RSO scolding and use it as a reminder of the importance of safety.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I shot at Atterbury once, the RSO recognized me from GSSF matches, but he still called me out when I did something "wrong". I took it and learned from it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I NEVER stand by and let anyone sweep me with a firearm. If I did not have enough backbone to speak to a man about his carlessness around me, I am not enough of a man to carry a firearm. If the other guy refuses to act responsibly after I firmly speak to him, the manager WILL be involved, period. I am not willing to take a bullet so that I do not offend some untrained person. When I hear a slide snap forward behind my back, I do not even finish my string. There are a lot of foolish people out there these days.

I have also never been to a range where a table behind the firing line was not a problem. Never make it convenient for a dim bulb to make a mistake. Two places where this was a problem have taken the back tables out. Most of the problem styopped. Talk to the management or write them. Forward your comments and this thread. It will not get resolved until either enough people complain about it or there is a negligent shooting that closes the range for everyone.

rooster

Master
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I went there on Saturday and saw much of the same. I said something to a group of people posing for pictures with the 10/22 they had. Finger on the trigger and weapon pointed at me.

I pointed it out to the staff and he said he would keep an eye on them.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I had a similar issue with some "kids" at bullseye in kokomo. I made myself very clear as to what be going on if he swept me AGAIN with his shotgun. He actully went and complained to management. When management came in and asked what was going on I told him. The manager told the kids better not sweep him or anyone else! I am nervouse at public ranges and even more nervous at private ones. Private clubs have a pretty relaxed feel sometimes and a little too comfortable.

catalyst

Plinker
    Jan 25, 2009
    Fishers
    I've not had any issues at Parabellum, but I have been at several ranges where I have seen unsafe practices going on. I've never had to intervene myself, as another shooter or RSO spoke to the offender each time. However, I would not hesitate to say something. I think it is better to approach the offender yourself, as long as you are civil about it. If they don't change their behavior, then go to an RSO or range staff. A little carelessness can lead to a tragedy. Some people get uptight about the RSOs at ranges like Atterbury, but I appreciate the job they do. I've taken a safety reminder myself once or twice - and am better for the experience. As an aside, I am not a big fan of back tables at the ranges. Especially if I am at the range by myself. They make me feel like I need to maintain constant awareness of what is going on behind me (for safety reasons), which makes it hard to concentrate on my shooting.

Lowe0

Expert
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I think Para's back table rules strike the right balance - loading mags away from the line is great for two shooters on one lane, but all firearms go straight from their case to the line.

Now, how well people follow those rules can be another matter, but when Para's range rules are followed I feel plenty safe.

EyeCarry

Master
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I guess now is the time for me to bring this up. Questions:
    One, I would not feel comfortable walking away from all of my equipment to notify the RO/management of infractions. Is this what people do that need to report? If I am not leaving my stuff unattended and going to pack up to notify staff, I believe that I would probably ask for some kind of refund and just leave for the day. Bad for business and bad impression left in my head with regard to returning.
    Two, I wonder if a "call" button at each stall would help? Which come to think of it, How is a cease fire called in a real emergency?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One, I would not feel comfortable walking away from all of my equipment to notify the RO/management of infractions. Is this what people do that need to report? If I am not leaving my stuff unattended and going to pack up to notify staff, I believe that I would probably ask for some kind of refund and just leave for the day. Bad for business and bad impression left in my head with regard to returning.
    Two, I wonder if a "call" button at each stall would help? Which come to think of it, How is a cease fire called in a real emergency?

OOH! A call button would be awesome. And cheap. You can get a wireless two button one literally across the street at Lowes for $40. (one button for each end of the range). Per stall buttons are a good idea too, though I cant say how practical they would be without knowing how often somebody has to go get help from the desk.

Then again, the entire range IS on camera, and there is only one way out. So leaving your gear isnt quite as catastrophic as it sounds at first. (I dont blame you though)

Also, as far as a cease fire I'll adapt the fed's idea... "If you see something [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] YELL something." Several rounds of "cease fire!" from your bacon hole in an authoritative tone will probably get the entire range to stop. (you hope) Nobody else (who of course is in their own little world) will immediately realize the one yelling isnt a RSO. By the time they do they will have already stopped to see whats up. Problem solved.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My visits there have not been to shoot but to meet folks and look at the AR parts available.
    All I saw were Newbies rolling in with their new guns. No knock on the new people to firearms but this makes me nervous.
    I want a new gun. It will be my 1st gun. New gun in hand and off to the range.

No instructions/training.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Holster the gun and grab your bag and go out to the counter. No holster clear and stow it and grab your bag and go to the counter. If it needs reporting it needs reporting. As someone already mentioned it is on camera and only one way out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Holster the gun and grab your bag and go out to the counter. No holster clear and stow it and grab your bag and go to the counter. If it needs reporting it needs reporting. As someone already mentioned it is on camera and only one way out.

True story (but no actual problems in my case) "but I'm sighting in my AR and my 10/22. I cant just quickly holster and move out."

Other than that, I agree. holster it and double time it to the desk.

Top Bottom