• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    After having several guns, loaded and not, pointed at me from people loading at the back tables, I will never go back. I came back in after packing up (firearms on the line, bring cases to the firearms and keep downrange until cased), told them about the issue. Only response from an old guy from behind the counter, (paraphrased) "As long as they aren't loaded, I don't really care." I put my visit card on the counter (with two punches left), said I would not need it again, and left.

I've worked at ranges, and been to a myriad of them. I've been to places where they allow you to take your firearms to back tables. But I've yet to go to a place that had people loading magazines into guns at the back table and the people watching the place have disregard for it.

The various times I've been there, I have yet to see an RO on the line, just two guys behind the counter, swapping stories, not even occasionally glancing at the monitor. Guess I was there at the wrong times.

On my most recent visit (30 December 2015), there were signs along the back wall, indicating that firearms were not to be loaded at the rear tables, and could only be loaded on the firing line.

The posted range rules seem to support this prohibition, as well:

Range Rules | Parabellum Indoor Shooting Range & Training Center in Avon, Indiana

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I really wish it were closer to me...and easier to get to from Greenwood!

Right across 144 and up through Mooresville, not a bad drive and no Interstate. :)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    After having several guns, loaded and not, pointed at me from people loading at the back tables, I will never go back. I came back in after packing up (firearms on the line, bring cases to the firearms and keep downrange until cased), told them about the issue. Only response from an old guy from behind the counter, (paraphrased) "As long as they aren't loaded, I don't really care." I put my visit card on the counter (with two punches left), said I would not need it again, and left.

I've worked at ranges, and been to a myriad of them. I've been to places where they allow you to take your firearms to back tables. But I've yet to go to a place that had people loading magazines into guns at the back table and the people watching the place have disregard for it.

The various times I've been there, I have yet to see an RO on the line, just two guys behind the counter, swapping stories, not even occasionally glancing at the monitor. Guess I was there at the wrong times.

I believe you will find things much different now if you care to try it again.

On my most recent visit (30 December 2015), there were signs along the back wall, indicating that firearms were not to be loaded at the rear tables, and could only be loaded on the firing line.

The posted range rules seem to support this prohibition, as well:

Range Rules | Parabellum Indoor Shooting Range & Training Center in Avon, Indiana

Firearms only allowed on the back wall IF they have a chamber flag inserted. All loading and unloading is supposed to be done IN the stall. Still have a few people that don't understand the "no guns on the back wall" policy and we're trying to stay on top of that situation.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1/2 price lunchtime range fee. I shoot there about once a month or so. Nice enough folks. Clean enough range. Not usually busy at lunchtime on a weekday. Don't rent a handgun on a Monday. They are still filthy from the weekend.

My RO story (we all have one):
    Got "called out" by the RO for uncasing a handgun at the back table. I had taken it out of my range bag. It was still in its holster. I was taking the (still holstered) gun out of the bag to set it on the firing line. The sign and policy states that firearms must only be uncased or unholsted at the firing line. I simply said "yeah, OK", and set it on the firing line table - still holstered. The funny part? Two lanes down a couple of guys had an AR-15 on the back bench, trying to un-stuck the bolt. Not sure if the cartridge in the chamber was spent or not. RO walked right by them after chastising me. Meh, whatever....

I'll be back over there in the next week or two. Need to look into some of the events they have.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Parabellum is an excellent facility, and has been really busy the last few times I have been there. They have a great selection of rental guns (which I took full advantage of last time) and the staff are as helpful as any...even if they did try to get me in trouble with my wife by suggesting I take home a PPQ :):

The only gripe I have is that the last two visits, there have been some people in the lanes next door rapid firing .223, .45, .44 and .22. Not double tapping, but "hey take a video of how fast I can pull the trigger" to impress his buddy and then not being remotely close to on target. There are signs posted, and nothing was done on either instance. The worst part is that my wife and I went to try some different guns out because she wants to start carrying, but she was so rattled by the 8 shots of .45 to our left and 10 shots of .223 to our right (within a 30 second span), she was no longer enjoying it, so we left. The second time I was alone and the people packed up immediately after dumping 12rds of .22 and 6 shots of .44 as fast as possible or I would have said something, but I was expecting something to happen.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Great range, and really good guys. My favorite Parabellum story? Took a rifle in at the end of the day friday to double check my zero for appleseed the next day. got there and realized I forgot my mags. They loaned me one as a courtesy from the rental wall. I would have been up you know which creek because I couldnt have gone home and back before closing.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Let me tell you about Parabellum, in Avon.

I have been there a number of times now. The first time was with the bulk of the INGO staff, when the facility was still fairly new. The last time I went with my father, and this is what I want to tell you about. My dad means everything to me, and I would do anything for him. He has a type of cancer for which there is no cure, and his fight has been devastating. He was the one who introduced me to shooting when I was a youngster, and the hobby is one of the few places we have always found common ground. He doesn't feel well enough to get out very often, and when we does he now uses a wheelchair to help get around. As you might be able to imagine, this makes it impossible to go out to most conservation clubs, DNR ranges, private property, etc...to go shooting. In the summertime we go to Eagle Creek, where Mr. Relford and his staff take first-class care of my dad, but when the weather turns we have to choose from the indoor ranges.

A few weeks ago dad felt well enough to get out of the house, but the weather was terrible, so we decided to make the short trip to Avon. The range is impeccably kept. The range officers are polite and unintrusive, so long as you behave appropriately. I was blown away at how polite and accomodating the staff was with dad's wheelchair. They didn't bat an eyelid when we asked for permission for dad to shoot from his chair. He likely wouldn't have been able to shoot at all if not for that. I didn't shoot much. I just watched dad shoot, mostly.

I still love Eagle Creek, but as long as Parabellum is open I'll drive past any other indoor range in town to go shooting there. They have earned my repeat business.

Amazing story!
    My dad was in a wheel chair toward the end as well.
    I lost him in '98, but one of my proudest moments happened on another range in another place, much as you have described. They accommodated his needs to the fullest. They did all this even before they found out that he was a veteran.
    That was the day he gave me his "ancient" nine-shot Harrington he used to keep with him, bought in the late '40s. It was old and cheap when he bought it way back then. I would have to dig it out of storage to tell what the model is, but before I stored it, it shot flawlessly then I prepared it for long term storage. I have not shot it since '06 when I decided to save it for my teen son when he is old enough to appreciate what it means.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Right across 144 and up through Mooresville, not a bad drive and no Interstate. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

I do certainly love that drive... But it's about 30% longer than me taking 31 up to 465 and over.

Litebow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Near Avon
    Thanks for all the feedback. INGO is great. Just got my membership card today. Will start shooting tomorrow. I am retired so will probably shoot afternoons mostly. Would love to meet some fellow INGO members there. I'll be the fat man that looks like Santa Clause wearing a Coast Guard cap.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I will echo the comments about seeing goobers doing a mag dump while their buddy takes cell phone video. Other than that, I haven't seen the dangerous behaviors at Parabellum that I've seen at most other ranges. I've been flagged numerous times at public ranges or indoor ranges. I've also seen people injure themselves, shoot holes in things they didn't intend to, put surprise rounds into the dirt, and many other shenanigans. I'm sure it happens there too, but I've been fortunate in my numerous trips. I do see a lot of folks who seem to be more interested in taking numerous pictures and videos of each other than doing any training. My position on SEAL Team 6.1 precludes me from allowing my photo to be taken and potentially posted on social media.

Top Bottom