• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Stats are like the report filed of a ND....we seldom get the real story.

when asked do I believe in DNA science....I respond yes if it was not manipulated by those with an agenda.

Just like the data that supports smaller caliber ballistics....you drink it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Where did I say ANYTHING that would lead one to believe I am supporting a narrative of "Don't carry a gun and develop skills that can save your life." I thought my point was obvious, that the OP's statement, "So, your odds of being involved in a violent crime are higher than your odds of being involved in an automobile accident." is wrong and the National Stats used to support that sentiment are misleading.

Your clarity escaped me. Perhaps because you said the stats needed to be adjusted so that they reflected true victims. I agree that numbers and stats can be misleading. Is the adjustment the true numbers? Who decides? How do we know?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This is a pretty easy argument to decide. How many car accidents have you been involved in vs. how many violent crimes you’ve been the victim of? I’ve been involved in 2 accidents in the past 10 months (neither my fault :yesway:). I have been the victim of 0 violent crimes. YMMV. I simply don’t believe the average INGOer is more likely to be the victim of violent crime than to be in a car crash.

Fortunately, you don’t have to justify your choice to carry a gun based on statistical need. Just carry.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Might I remind everyone that the original post and related article made the point that insurance made sense in case of accident and gun carry made sense in case of violent crime and was not a paranoid practice...

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This is a pretty easy argument to decide. How many car accidents have you been involved in vs. how many violent crimes you’ve been the victim of? I’ve been involved in 2 accidents in the past 10 months (neither my fault :yesway:). I have been the victim of 0 violent crimes. YMMV. I simply don’t believe the average INGOer is more likely to be the victim of violent crime than to be in a car crash.

Fortunately, you don’t have to justify your choice to carry a gun based on statistical need. Just carry.

Great logic. 2 car accidents in my life. I have shown a gun 3 different times dealing with tresspassers on

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Exactly, and if you want to use some statistical data to support the idea I was just suggesting that the data be correct or at least used with the knowledge of the data's shortcomings. But in the end, there need be no justification.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Might I remind everyone that the original post and related article made the point that insurance made sense in case of accident and gun carry made sense in case of violent crime and was not a paranoid practice...

Hmm , that certainly wasn't clear. I don't think anyone on these boards would disagree with that.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    Look at DOJ and FBI numbers on murders, burglaries and robberies each year...then decide whether it is wise to be trained to use a firearm, and wise to carry a firearm. Unnecessary to even look at irrelevant numbers like car wrecks. In 2018 over 11,000 murders in USA. Millions of robberies and burglaries annually. Get trained, carry.

Top Bottom