• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catfishjn69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    West side of Indy
    does anyone have any experience with parched corn. I was reading about old timers would pulverize it and eat about a handful with water, and it would swell up and give the feeling of being full. fairly light to carry. anyone keep it for there long term storage? it seems to store well and has lots of uses
    thanks
    fish

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Yah, I've eaten it. I used to buy it locally but I can't remember where. It was a neat snack and I could see it being used in a survival situation. It's kinda like those bags of toasted corn kernels that you can buy in snack food sections. Leaves a lot of debris in the teeth (think popcorn, but worse). I know the pioneers used it as a staple along with dried meats, dried fruits and vegetables, salted and pickled stuff. Because it was dried it would last longer but I think they would rehydrate it before they ate it. It was still the whole kernel, not ground in anyway.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    There is an Amish store called Wilson's Farm Market on US31 between Westfield and Cicero that sells it. It it very similar to Cornnuts. I like it much more than popcorn.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My dad made some when we were younger... like cornuts but it was his first time making it in a long time and it got a little burned... he never did make it again but I've always thought about trying...

Top Bottom