• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking to buy an inexpensive (under $300) 12 GA pump. I will mostly use it for home defense, but will also use occasionally for skeet. I am thinking of getting a black synthetic 28" Maverick 88 or Pardner Pump. Walmart has the Maverick for $187 and the Pardner for $159.

Does anyone have a recommendation between the two? Another gun recommendation under $300?

Thanks.

Barbecue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I was thinking of picking one of these up as well, I look forward to hearing what other INGOs have to say about the 2.

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    I have a maverick 88 12ga and it's a great shotgun for the money. Its rugged and I've never had an issue with it. Plus a lot of mossberg 500 parts/accessories interchange so that's a plus as well.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I've got the Maverick 88 pump with the 18.5" bbl for a home defense gun-very good shotgun for the money, have about 50 rounds through it, not a single problem.

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've got the Maverick 88 pump with the 18.5" bbl for a home defense gun-very good shotgun for the money, have about 50 rounds through it, not a single problem.

Thanks...I was thinking more in line of the 28" barrel so that I can shoot skeet. Other than the barrel length, they probably are the same gun.

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    Thanks...I was thinking more in line of the 28" barrel so that I can shoot skeet. Other than the barrel length, they probably are the same gun.

You can get an extra 18.5" barrel as well and still be under 300 total. Very easy to switch barrels for when you want to go skeet shooting or use for HD.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I own 3 Mav 88's. Rock solid shotguns. 99% of the Mossberg parts and barrels will interchange with them.

But the 88 and don't look back.

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I own 3 Mav 88's. Rock solid shotguns. 99% of the Mossberg parts and barrels will interchange with them.

But the 88 and don't look back.

So far it looks like the Maverick is the way to go. Anyone have an opinion on the Pardner?

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    My maverick was originally a 28" barrel. I bought a mossy 500 18.5" barrel from Dicks awhile back for 80.00. You may find them
    Cheaper online. To change barrels you pump the slide back so the chamber is open. Then there is a screw that holds the barrel onto the end of the magazine. Unscrew it and the barrel Will slide off. Very easy to switch barrels.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Have a 13 yr old mav.88 thats been through a LOT of hard use,keeps getting better! Also a shorty h.d. gun, as well as bought one each for my son and daughter[both grown] We all love 'em

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I guess the Mav 88's have it. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow to buy. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Excellent choice, a friend bought a pardner from dicks recently and the pump locked up between every round almost every time we took it out. He still hasnt got it fixed.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I guess the Mav 88's have it. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow to buy. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Also do all the walmarts in fort wayne have guns again? I heard they were going to be carrying them again soon but that was only like 3 days ago.???

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Also do all the walmarts in fort wayne have guns again? I heard they were going to be carrying them again soon but that was only like 3 days ago.???

I don't think any of the Fort Wayne stores have them yet (if ever). I'm going to be in the Angola area and am going to stop into that Walmart.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a pardner I love it ive had it going on 5 years now and ive not had a single problem with mine and all 870 accessories work with it except the barrels

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Another vote for the Mav 88! Rugged gun, cheap, nice looking! I have shot skeet and produce with several loads with no issues! :)

Top Bottom