• Status
    Not open for further replies.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Not to thread-jack but does anyone have a guess how bad the traffic's going to be on Friday? Anyone with experience from the last time it was held in Indy care to chime in?
    Keep in mind the President and VP will be downtown on Friday. They will block off roads, and I'm sure the top level of the Washington St. garage will be closed too.
    I work in the Government center and it's always a pain when a President or VP is in town.

It is also the last official day of the legislature. All reports are that they plan to be done Wed or Thurs to avoid the NRA traffic and parking.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I recommend parking at the Circle Center Mall. From the middle of the Mall on the third floor, you can walk through above ground tunnels to the convention center. The maximum fee is $22 for the day, and the mall is doing so poorly you won't really compete with people shopping there, only downtowners who park there for work, or others going to the convention. If you google search "Circle Center Mall Parking" it will show multiple garages tied to the mall. World of Wonders I think is the closest to the convention center.

Hope it helps...

I'm going to take a chance that this isn't being pre-sold through any of the parking apps and try it on the day of the convention. Thanks for the info. I plan to be there early, so hopefully that works out.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm going to take a chance that this isn't being pre-sold through any of the parking apps and try it on the day of the convention. Thanks for the info. I plan to be there early, so hopefully that works out.

I did this the last time I went to the NRA convention in Indy. It worked out, though it took me a while of driving through garages to find a spot.

This year I decided it was worth the couple of extra bucks and bought a spot through ParkWhiz for the underground garage off Capital right in front of the convention center.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Well...Poopy!!!

I wasn't thinking and the parking I reserved was next to the NRA convention. Thankfully I was able to cancel it.

But the TGC panel is in the Biltwell Center on Sunday afternoon. I looked in both parking apps mentioned in the thread and the Indy parking map, I can't find any parking that I can reserve for Sunday afternoon near the Biltwell Center. The only things I can reserve seem to be quite a few blocks away.

Do you (INGO people of all orientations or legal entities) have any ideas???

Last edited:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Well...Poopy!!!

I wasn't thinking and the parking I reserved was next to the NRA convention. Thankfully I was able to cancel it.

But the TGC panel is in the Biltwell Center on Sunday afternoon. I looked in both parking apps mentioned in the thread and the Indy parking map, I can't find any parking that I can reserve for Sunday afternoon near the Biltwell Center. The only things I can reserve seem to be quite a few blocks away.

Do you gays or gals have any ideas???

I am not gay or a gal, but there is parking at the Biltwell center, some south of the center on Kentucky Ave, and a few north on Oliver Ave. Just not sure how busy they would be, but maybe things will be a bit quieter on Sunday afternoon?

Good luck!

Ron

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Someone mentioned parking away and riding a skooter to the convention center. Can anyone tell me what’s involved in using these skooters? Is it a credit card deal? Just leave them wherever when you’re done? I’ve only seen them downtown, never tried one but have wanted to.
    I had planned to get downtown 6:30 or so Friday but my brother had something come up so he can’t make it to town till around 10 that morning. By the time we get there, there won’t be any close parking around.

Matt

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Someone mentioned parking away and riding a skooter to the convention center. Can anyone tell me what’s involved in using these skooters? Is it a credit card deal? Just leave them wherever when you’re done? I’ve only seen them downtown, never tried one but have wanted to.
    I had planned to get downtown 6:30 or so Friday but my brother had something come up so he can’t make it to town till around 10 that morning. By the time we get there, there won’t be any close parking around.

Matt

You just download the associated app on your phone and pay and activate the scooter that way. I have used Lime before and it is fairly simple. The app will show you where the scooters are and the battery level. I think in Indy the law is that you have to ride on the street, not the sidewalk.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You just download the associated app on your phone and pay and activate the scooter that way. I have used Lime before and it is fairly simple. The app will show you where the scooters are and the battery level. I think in Indy the law is that you have to ride on the street, not the sidewalk.

My employer has a lot within 2 miles of the convo center and there are Bird Scooters laying all around the hospital across the street. My plan is to find a Bird or Lime and ride it to the convo center. Scootering back to my car is a bigger concern though. I might need to Uber back to the car. At least I'll be armed. :patriot:

RMG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    West Side
    Head's up to anyone who reserved parking online via SpotHero. Arrived downtown around 10am expecting to park in my reserved spot only to be turned away because the garage was oversold and already full. I've used SpotHero many times in the past, primarily in Chicago, and never had that happen. Luckily we were still early enough to find parking elsewhere. Getting a refund from SpotHero was quick and easy, and they did apologize.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    4e08dad96e87eb03b9d52ad3269ac070.jpg
    I parked behind the Frank Irish Company today for 10 bucks. Will prob do the same tomorrow and Sunday. Most of the meters I seen were 3 hr max.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    I parked at the garage next to Ram Brewery. Big garage lots of space. If you're coming from the south or east, get on South St. and take Illinois St. to the north. Entrance is just past the Ram Brewery. If you're coming from the north or west get on Maryland St. and entrance on the right hand side (south) just past Capital Ave. $22 I think was the fee for all day parking and its just a block away from the convention center.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I used ParkWhiz to reserve a parking spot at the Capitol Commons garage for 30 bucks, and it was a rip off. When I got to the garage every single parking spot was filled — there was no spot “reserved“. The garage let vehicles in well past its capacity.

I ended up parking “illegally” along with several dozen other vehicles already there in one of the driving lanes. The only thing the “reservation” did was let me scan in and out of the parking garage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom