• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    There're several mis-steps that occurred along the way that allowed or led to this shooting.
    - Law Enforcement did not handle the numerous concerns regarding this shooter in the first place.
    - Safety Procedures within the school itself were lax (at best) and in the moments during and immediately after the actual shooting, things were obviously chaotic.
    - Let's not get started on the lame (limp) response by the SRO...and the completely wuss and failed, non-response he provided!
    The point being, IMO, there should be sufficient deterrent and defenses in place such that teachers should not HAVE to have access to a gun, or have one on their person, during the school day!
    As a former biology/health teacher, my first (and should be only) duty is teaching in the classroom. Sadly, now they're adding 'Provide Security Response' to the list that also includes counselor, psychologist, parent, and (sometimes) teacher!

Last edited:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am very much aware of the added duties placed on teachers. Where I come from we would all say, "Yeah, and stick a broom up your butt and sweep the floor while you are at it..."

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It seems to me that, in any situation where teachers are to be armed, it would be voluntary.

We have teachers on INGO who are gun enthusiasts. I would not say that even at that there may be a few that would not be comfortable carrying in their class room.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Defending yourself and those you are responsible for to the best of your ability is basic adult responsibility. Being a teacher does not relieve one of that duty, and there should not be rules that prevent adults from doing so effectively. Parkland clearly showed there are both moral and practical reasons you should not abdicate self-defense to others.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It seems to me that, in any situation where teachers are to be armed, it would be voluntary.

We have teachers on INGO who are gun enthusiasts. I would not say that even at that there may be a few that would not be comfortable carrying in their class room.

There are a multitude of factors that would go into that kind of decision as a teacher--enough to make it a person-by-person decision as far as I could see. But even for those who would actually feel comfortable carrying in the classroom, who would eagerly undergo the extra training and scrutiny that would entail...the likelihood of getting to do so, even in Indiana, seems negligible for the foreseeable future. There are just too many bleeding hearts in charge of the big school systems to ever realistically see armed teachers in public schools here. Sadly, where armed teachers could make the biggest difference--in the larger city public school systems--is where the Democrats hold the most sway and where armed teachers are least likely to ever be allowed. Unless by some miracle the state legislature mandates armed teachers, I just don't see it happening.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The failure here was many fold. The design of the building potentially invited an attack from many directions. "Open" concepts are useless when someone is skulking about with a firearm, intent on murder and mayhem. The failure of the SRO was atrocious. The failure of the Broward Co. Sheriff's Office response was atrocious. There were apparently too many ninnyhammers calling the shots (so to speak) that were not on site and had no direct knowledge of the situation.

In brief, a total fiasco. The embarrassment that is the Broward County Sheriff, should be removed from office and the entire upper rank structure restructured. As far as the school goes, educators usually do not know anything about building or personal security. In fact, most school administrators are not even concerned with security. Unless, of course, there is a tragedy (massacre) and their backsides get chain-whipped by money grubbing attorneys.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As a former biology/health teacher, my first (and should be only) duty is teaching in the classroom. Sadly, now they're adding 'Provide Security Response' to the list that also includes counselor, psychologist, parent, and (sometimes) teacher!

While I can appreciate that a teachers main priority should be to teach. And I can appreciate the frustration that goes along with having to partly act as psychologist, councilor and take on some parental role. For one, don't we constantly add to LE expectations to fill these roles for the public? With no additiona pay mind you.
    Also, in the event that civility goes south in a really bad way the situation changes. IF such an event happens you aren't going to be teching through it anyway so that goes out the window. At that point, you as an extension of the school district have to assume some responsibility for the safety of the children. If you as a teacher aren't comfortable with carrying a gun in the classroom, fine. But you still need to undergo sufficient training to respond as best you can. If another teacher feels comfortable carrying and is willing to take the additional responsibility to help protect our children, we should make sure they are given adequate training to do so and provide an incentive pay for assuming such a responsibility

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    More Than 30 Percent Of Texas School Districts Allow Educators To Carry Guns

According to a December survey by the Texas Association of School Boards, 315 school districts — more than 30 percent of all districts in the state — have adopted a policy giving educators the option of being armed. That’s up from 217 in May and 172 in February, when 17 people were shot and killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida.

Carolyn Counce, director of policy service at TASB, said the actual count could be higher because it’s based on information volunteered by their member districts.

Of the 315 districts reported to TASB, 303 have adopted Guardian Plans, a local policy with individual terms decided by the board of trustees. Twelve districts have opted to participate in the state-controlled School Marshal Program.

There are 1,025 independent school districts (which appears to be what they counted above) plus about 200 charter schools.

No big surprise that the vast majority of districts went with the grass-roots developed Guardian Plan over the Legislature-created School Marshal. One is flexible and practical, the other...not so much.

Top Bottom