• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjhargro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    I would like more info about this job..I tried to PM you but got a message saying I dont have enough posts...can you pm me the info :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Absolutely!

One of the purposes of lower wage jobs is to show what you can do and that you're reliable.

In a semi related note. Be careful of whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow. A reputation for shunning opportunities isn't a good one to have.

I work in maintenance and have no desire to quit and go somewhere else but I still network with others in my field when possible. Who knows, I may find myself out of a job someday and those I've worked with or talked to in the past might be the ticket I need to get a new job.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I wouldn't be mad at the employer. The fact that employers are able to offer such low wages to highly educated people is only supply and demand at work. The supply of jobs is down due to the economy, taxes, regulations etc. The demand is way up because there are many unemployed people at all education levels. The government has the whole economy out of whack due to subsidies taxes regulations that allow government to pick winners and losers rather than letting the free market do it. I would be mad at the government not the "evil" corporations or employers. Don't get a degree In Liberal arts and expect to make a hundred grand a year either.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Wow, this sure turned into a whine-fest! Good to know from the unemployed experts here that they are qualified to grade high school essays that will determine whether a student passes their SAT, ECA, or ISTEP-with no training or education-all because they can "pass a reading comprehension test". Most people don't want a 22 year old with an Associates in Communications determining what college their kids get into.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    This is the dream that hope and change produces, folks.

Most of the people who fell for the con assumed the "Great Equality" promised by the progressives would bring the poor up to the level of the rich. They didn't realize the main purpose is to drag the rich down.

Besides, you didn't get that degree by yourself.
    YOU didn't build that university.
    YOU didn't hire those professors.
    YOU didn't even build your High School.
    You don't deserve high pay for your degree because you didn't do it ALL by yourself.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The education creep in this county is the biggest scam of this generation.
    The B.A./B.S degree of today seems equivalent to a 10th grade education 40 years ago, or the 8th grade education of 60 years ago.

It is disgusting that young people should be expected to invest $40K (and up) to get a job they cannot support themselves on (apt. rents, along with everything else, are sky high)​

Part of it is simple. How many people had a college degree 60 yrs ago? 40? There is a finite number of jobs available. An employer has a choice, do they go for the drop outs with a 8th grade education for someone who has shown the follow through to get a college degree? Assuming either one can do the job.

I'm not to proud to do this. I won't be available for the first session, but unless I find something better in the meantime, I'll do the second.

Why not be proud? Your qualified and willing to do the job. That is a lot more than some others.

I joke about being lazy, but I'm not going on the dole if I have a choice.

I see your point though. Many people would rather leech from the rest of us.

That is the reason you should be proud. :yesway:

Geez, no love for post secondary educations around here. Tough crowd. I have a bachelors degree and the wife is finishing up her masters. I'm glad I have mine even though it is not required for an LEO. Like 88GT stated, even for new LEO applicants, having a degree is good as it shows that the applicant can follow through. There is many things to learn in a college setting.

I see no lost love for post secondary educations, I see people *****ing that employers may require a degree for a job that may not need one. But yep, how many employers given the chance would higher a H.S. dropout over someone with a H.S. diploma over a college degree? Even if the job only required a dropout level of education. If I was an employer generally speaking I would want the highest educated person for the job, because it shows they are willing to work for what they want. There is a flip side to that also, an employer may not want to go too high due to turnover.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I see no lost love for post secondary educations, I see people *****ing that employers may require a degree for a job that may not need one. But yep, how many employers given the chance would higher a H.S. dropout over someone with a H.S. diploma over a college degree? Even if the job only required a dropout level of education. If I was an employer generally speaking I would want the highest educated person for the job, because it shows they are willing to work for what they want. There is a flip side to that also, an employer may not want to go too high due to turnover.

Maybe I missed it but I did not see a job description that allow me to argue if a degree was warranted or not.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I agree that pay is low for the educational requirements BUT::::

Success in life is all about proving oneself and you must continually prove yourself as someone who gets the job done.

How far a person goes in gaining the necessary knowledge whether it be blue or white collar is also a form of proving oneself. Would you want to hire a person who thinks "I can do that" with little education and/or experience. There are dues to pay and education is just a part of that. Yeah, you have the ecucation but can you perform.

There are what is called "levels of learning". Those being;

1) Rote.....that is nothing more than memorization. Yeah, you can pass tests.

2) Understanding....... you understand the theory

3) Application.... you can apply those theories

4) Correlation..

Many people can perform the first two but then the abilities cease.

Taking a temp job serves several purposes which again relate to proving oneself and work ethic. I hear many people who can work but will not take a job because "that is not what I want to do" or "that will hurt my career buy taking that lowly job".

I would much rather hire a person who proves their work ethic and basic ability then a highly educated person who is just waiting for a job they went to school for with no regular experience. Like the "professional students" I've seen. Those are the people that just have the first two levels of learning.

One of the important factors of finding a good job also involves networking. Employers will get many applicants with the same credentials. What will be a deciding factor of which one gets hired? How they fit in with the employers corporate culture. I know several people who can basically do most of the work in a temp job but there is a personality clash with the corporate culture and they are not taken on permanently.

Accepting a temp gig can lead to enjoyable, gainful employment by proving skills, work ethic and compatibility with the temp job or someone they know.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Maybe I missed it but I did not see a job description that allow me to argue if a degree was warranted or not.

Which is why I said may. ;)

And someone who get's the job, mark my quoted post wrong. I realized I typed in the wrong word, I used higher rather than hire.:facepalm:

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Our county seemed to win WWII without the majority of the troops having a college degree.​

Really? Although that's a true statement, even today, do you think that the degrees are useless to our military? Do you think our modern forces don't need guys with degrees? How much of what we do is intelligence? or Engineering? Or heavy logistics (and I don't mean basic part ordering)?

SOCOM242

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Honestly, unless you're a scientist or an engineer (or similar), a 4-year degree is kind of a waste of money. By the grace of God I make a lot more than ~$11/hour and all I have is an Associate Degree. Of course, I do have a handful of the more desired IT certifications and 13 years of experience in my field.

The point I'm trying to make is that they're using the BA/BS thing to slim-down their potential candidates, and that's it. That's why is says a degree in any field is accepted.

Take heart friends, there are jobs out there that pay quite a bit more and don't require BA/BS degrees, you just have to work a little harder to find them. In particular, IT jobs almost never require a BA/BS, and usually pay pretty well for qualified (aka technically competent) candidates.

:twocents:

(PS I don't believe in karma.) :D

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Sometimes I feel dumb for not having a degree, then I read things like this. Thank you Navy for training me and letting me run your nuclear reactors.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    Thanks MadBomber for connecting INGO'ers with this opportunity.

Standardized tests are an important way to evaluate students in formal education. It makes sense to require the people judging essays and open-ended responses to have successfully completed formal education at a higher level than those being tested.

WRT the pay rate, it is comparable to substitute teacher pay in some Indiana school systems.

From their websites:

Lawrence Township (Marion County) - "The rate of pay for Certified Substitute Teaching is $70/day."

Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers) - "The pay for substitute teachers is $65 per day."

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Thanks MadBomber for connecting INGO'ers with this opportunity.

Standardized tests are an important way to evaluate students in formal education. It makes sense to require the people judging essays and open-ended responses to have successfully completed formal education at a higher level than those being tested.

WRT the pay rate, it is comparable to substitute teacher pay in some Indiana school systems.

From their websites:

Lawrence Township (Marion County) - "The rate of pay for Certified Substitute Teaching is $70/day."

Hamilton Southeastern (Fishers) - "The pay for substitute teachers is $65 per day."

Thanks for the info. I'd love to see a higher pay rate or even an Associates being acceptable. Alas, it's not my call.

Still need lots of folks and we're looking to have another big week of hiring.

Top Bottom