• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midwest207

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indy
    I was able to go to the range the other night and when done I needed to clean my weapons. The ammo I used was good and at a good price but seems a bit dirty.

So as I was cleaning, it got me thinking and remembering. When I have worked on cars I have a part washer that had a recirculation pump and nuzzle that was filled with solvent. The solvent comes out the nozzle and got into the hard to reach area and left you with little scrubbing.

This just seems like a great place for something like this. Do they make a scaled down version for this or is there a reason I don't know of that this would not be a good thing?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have one from harbor freight that works for pistols... around 35 bucks... Tractor supply sells stand alone units for around 100 that are NICE... fill it with mineral spirits, and use an air compressor to blow it dry... reoil EVERYTHING since it degreases it.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I purchased the smallest SafetyKleen parts washer over twenty years ago and it is still going strong. I see the price is up to $269 now. It is great for handguns and the receivers of long guns fit in the tank easily.
    39.gif

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    True, an ultrasonic cleaner will removed some finishes. I actually used mine to remove a bad Duracoat job on a friends Kimber...done by a "gunsmith". They will clean amazingly well, just know what finish is on the gun.

One word of caution on the parts cleaner/air compressor drying. Some assemblies have small parts that can be blown off with high pressure air. They are tough to find after flying across the room...

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I bought one at harbor freight also and filled it with carbon killer and it does good for me just have to reoil everything to displace the water based carbon killer

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    We used to have one at the armory that was great for m-16's and M9's(especially as picky as the armorers could get)... It was filled with PD-680 Dry Cleaning Solvent. I wonder what the civilian equivalent is?

Midwest207

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indy
    Untrasonic

I bought one at harbor freight also and filled it with carbon killer and it does good for me just have to reoil everything to displace the water based carbon killer

I just stopped in Harbor Frieght today and saw the Ultrasonic unit.
    It was $39.99. I was wondering what you put in it. Do you use a solvent like hoppe #9 or mineral spirits?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom