• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If this was the crash I linked above, the Corvette was taken out by a drunken mustang driver. The Corvette driver wasn't innocent, but didn't really do anything wrong other than driving fast in traffic.

Today's high performance vehicles would likely be on par with race cars of 10 - 15 years ago and can be driven to 100k miles or more.
    the camera car was running 83mph. I'd clock the two cars racing around 120-140.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Today's high performance vehicles would likely be on par with race cars of 10 - 15 years ago and can be driven to 100k miles or more.
    Race cars have been specialized longer than that so I'm not sure what comparison there would be but todays cars do not touch real race cars from 10-15 years ago. Certainly not Formula cars or Indycars or NHRA or TransAm or NASCAR, maybe Rally cars but I doubt it. Real racing suspensions would be terrible on the street and would not sell well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a new to me '82 Z28 that I was quite proud of. Had a couple friends in the car and was bragging about the handling. Done a couple quick weaves around the lane divider hashes and lost traction on damp pavement. We come to a stop in the middle of the four lane on 31 south, after doing a complete 360. :n00b:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Race cars have been specialized longer than that so I'm not sure what comparison there would be but todays cars do not touch real race cars from 10-15 years ago. Certainly not Formula cars or Indycars or NHRA or TransAm or NASCAR, maybe Rally cars but I doubt it. Real racing suspensions would be terrible on the street and would not sell well.
    I’d put it more like factory cars today are as fast or faster than the hot rodded street Muscle cars of yesteryear.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Damn, that sucker is built like a F1 car...
    All the parts break off in a crash... taking some of the energy with them. The driver is left in his cocoon.
    Yes, it is amazing what drivers can live through in a new Vette or many race cars and actually almost all road cars for that matter.

In F1 they have three Zylon tethers on each wheel hub that attach it to the chassis. They let the wheels break off but they don't want them flying into other stuff and people. The tethers work most of the time but some of their crashes involve a LOT of energy so they ocassionally get wheels bouncing around.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Yes, it is amazing what drivers can live through in a new Vette or many race cars and actually almost all road cars for that matter.

In F1 they have three Zylon tethers on each wheel hub that attach it to the chassis. They let the wheels break off but they don't want them flying into other stuff and people. The tethers work most of the time but some of their crashes involve a LOT of energy so they ocassionally get wheels bouncing around.
    Cool. I haven't followed F1 in years. (Alain Prost & Ayrton Senna days)
    No tethers back then, but I remember a crash (sort of) on TV where Jackie was saying that's why they break apart...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Cool. I haven't followed F1 in years. (Alain Prost & Ayrton Senna days)
    No tethers back then, but I remember a crash (sort of) on TV where Jackie was saying that's why they break apart...
    Yeah, the monocoque chassis has a survival cell around the driver mostly made out of carbon fiber and titanium and everything else attaches to that. Some of the things they walk away from are just amazing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ya, but a 2022 Hyundai Santa Fe never got anyone laid.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine in the barracks when somebody laughed at his Civic:

"I can get more ass getting off a city bus than you can get in a Cadillac."

Probably not as funny in text and without seeing the facial expressions and reactions, but I still laugh at that one.

Top Bottom