• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    My uncle passed away back at the end of April and we've been going through his stuff with my Aunt and helping her get his things all settled and filling the proper paperwork and so forth.

Everything was moving along until it was time to open his safe to get his possessions out. When we put the safe numbers into his Liberty Safe (digital combo) it didn't work. We called the gun store (500 Guns in Speedway) that my uncle bought it from a few years ago and they still had his factory combo stored away in their back room even though they haven't sold safes in a few years.

Unfortunately the combo they gave was the same as what we already had. So somewhere over the last few years my Uncle has changed his combo.

My question is, how do I go about to get this thing opened? Do you think Liberty Safe has a master combo to be able to open it? Kind of like each safe is made with two combos, one to the consumer and one Liberty keeps in their "back room" that's attached to that specific serial number for that safe.

My only other option is to call a lock smith.

Suggestions on how to go about from here would be greatly appreciated.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    If it is like some safes with digital combos the battery pack can be removed and there is a key that can be inserted to open the safe. Ask your Aunt if there is a strange looking key anywhere that she doesn't know what it goes to.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Liberty will have a way to get into it, otherwise locksmith seems like your only ( and expensive ) viable option.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    If you contact Liberty, they are going to want a copy of the original Bill of Sale if he didn't send in the warranty card. There is a form on their site that needs to be notarized and filled out to get the over ride code.

IF your Aunt still has the original book there is a factory code and instructions on how to open the safe using that code.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think Liberty Safe, has as part of their guarantee, will help you if you cant open your safe (like if someone tried to break in and you cant use the key pad anymore).
    You should contact them before you contact any locksmith since they might provide one for you.Dont get any locksmith to open it before you contact Liberty.
    If you have the safe model maybe you can look online on Liberty's website to see if this model comes with a backup key.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I would change the battery in the lock to rule that out. The manual says it may still chirp and light up but may not be strong enough to unlock the mechanism.

I would also check that there is no pressure on the locking mechanism. There should be some side to side play in the unbolting handle.

I hope you get it open.

grassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    N CENTRAL IN
    I would try changing battery also my safe if you change the factory combination and the later you have to change the battery it reverts to factory settings so you have to change it again. Mabey he changed the combination and forget to write it down.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would try changing battery also my safe if you change the factory combination and the later you have to change the battery it reverts to factory settings so you have to change it again. Mabey he changed the combination and forget to write it down.

It depends on the type of safe.I have to open the door to change the batteries on my safe.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I have the number of a guy that moves safes and is also a locksmith. The number is at home. I will post it tonight. He is an avid shooter and opens safes for law enforcement when necessary. Great guy and his prices were very reasonable.
    He moved my safe from the store to my basement for much less than the store wanted to charge. Picked it up at the store, delivered it to my home, unpacked it up 4 steps into the house and then down into the basement, leveled it and even haulled off the box. Had all the special equipment for any application and not so much as a scuff mark on the safe or floor.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I have the number of a guy that moves safes and is also a locksmith. The number is at home. I will post it tonight. He is an avid shooter and opens safes for law enforcement when necessary. Great guy and his prices were very reasonable.
    He moved my safe from the store to my basement for much less than the store wanted to charge. Picked it up at the store, delivered it to my home, unpacked it up 4 steps into the house and then down into the basement, leveled it and even haulled off the box. Had all the special equipment for any application and not so much as a scuff mark on the safe or floor.

Wow... sounds like a good contact to have! Mind also PM'ing me the info when you get it in hand?

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    Thanks for everyones input on this. We called Liberty, and my aunt pretty much has give a blood sample to make sure she is who she says she is. I completely understand this, for the safety and security of their product.

They said once she was to submit her paperwork (death certificate of my uncle (notarized)) and paid a fee (believe it was $50.00) we would have to wait a few weeks just to see if it's the same combo that we already have or a new one.

I'm going to go over this evening to see if it is possible to change the batteries from the outside of the safe.

Any numbers would be great to have. We've talked to a few locksmiths that said they would not feel comfortable taping/drilling into it (not sure if it's the brand of safe or that they don't want to be held liable if they do not do it correctly)

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    FOUND IT !!
    Found the info in an old thread. Great thing, those search features.

Professional Safe and Vault
    James Weimer
    260-417-1345

This guy is great for moving a safe or for opening safes.
    As I said, he cracks safes for law enforcement agencies.
    Give him a call, he gave me a quote over the phone.
    At least you will know your options.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    FOUND IT !!
    Found the info in an old thread. Great thing, those search features.

Professional Safe and Vault
    James Weimer
    260-417-1345

Thank you again for this info. My aunt called him yesterday and he was out at her house by around 6:30 last evening. It took him almost 4.5 hours to open it do to a manufactures flaw. From what he was saying was, that the dial placement was an 1/8" off from where it was supposed to be. So it took him a while to crack it.

Once he figured out the issue, he went back at it and got it opened and then replaced the keypad.

If you are looking for someone that knows what he is doing when it comes to lock smithing and cracking, he is for sure the man you need to call.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Told you he was good.
    You should see him move a big gun safe, all by himself and never break a sweat.
    Why risk injury and/or damage when this guy can do it so easy.

Glad he could help.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thank you again for this info. My aunt called him yesterday and he was out at her house by around 6:30 last evening. It took him almost 4.5 hours to open it do to a manufactures flaw. From what he was saying was, that the dial placement was an 1/8" off from where it was supposed to be. So it took him a while to crack it.

Once he figured out the issue, he went back at it and got it opened and then replaced the keypad.

If you are looking for someone that knows what he is doing when it comes to lock smithing and cracking, he is for sure the man you need to call.

Inquiring (nosey) minds need to know man! Any goodies in the gun safe? :D

Top Bottom