• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Also you might be interested in knowing that the USDA Guide to Home Canning (2009) is online for FREE in PDF form. It's as good as the Ball Blue Book in my opinion. All you need is a PDF reader and a web browser. Print out the pages and put them in a 3 ring binder.

USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning 2009

Home canning is fun and it all tastes great if you pay attention to what you are doing.

That is a great resource for canning, and for how to canning instructions. Yes just as good as the Ball book for those, but not for the recipes. The USDA has limited recipes.

We always picked our jars up at rummage sales, goodwill, ect. Just have to watch for cracks around the mouth of the jar and anything obvious. Always considerably cheaper than buying form the store. Still have to pick up some lids and occasionally a new pack of rings.

Also make sure there are no small chips around the lip, I always run my finger around it to feel for any. Even a small chip can stop it from sealing.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Food. You gotta have it. In a SHTF sit, your stash will run out sooner or later. If you have a small stock of Heirloom seeds you can grow a lot of food. The problem is storing the food for winter (or bug out). Canning is one of those things that intimidate people for some reason. Its VERY simple. You need some ammo to protect your food and family but you can't eat lead.
    Buy a pressure canner (a pressure canner can can vegy's AND MEAT), a canning book, lots of cans and a lot more lids and seals.
    WATER
    FOOD
    SHELTER
    SECURITY

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I use them to store 4 Blackberries, (muddled) 2 oz Vodka, 5 oz lemonade, and ice.

balljar.jpg

A case of these is great to pour drinks, place the lid on, shake, and hand out for everyone to enjoy while you're waiting for the world to end.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Are there better times of year and stores to watch for clearance sales on jars, lids and caners?

They seem to be offered seasonally (summer) and become harder to find as the vegetables mature. We have found it is best to buy early.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Are there better times of year and stores to watch for clearance sales on jars, lids and caners?

Best time is late summer-fall.

They seem to be offered seasonally (summer) and become harder to find as the vegetables mature. We have found it is best to buy early.

This is very true. But I always keep an eye out for the clearance stuff end of season. Good way to get new stuff cheap.

Hk91_son

Plinker
    Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Richmond
    Just my opinion about canning jars. If buying them at Walmart stay away from Mainstay canning jars, they are about $1.00 cheaper. They are not worth buying, stick with the name brands. I bought these last year to save money, and the rings that come with them do not fit other jars. Another use for jars is vacuum sealing dry goods. You use the jar attachment from a Foodsaver. Other than prepping, canning is a great way to know whats in your food. The wife

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    My grandpa used to fill'em up with silver and bury 'em in the back yard....the kids fill'em with pennies (zinc) and who knows what they'll do with 'em....I put screws, nuts, bolts, etc.. in them for storage and identification in the garage....in the kitchen we drink from them (redneck I know..) store leftovers in them, , etc but still haven't learned to can with them.

Your grandpa and I were good friends. I'd been to his house a couple of times..just can't remember the street. Hmm, what was that address? I can see it in my mind's eye...big backyard...3rd house on the left...or maybe the right?...It was just a few blocks away....Um, do you remember that old address?? :cool: Just kidding, of course!

Love fresh tomatoes in February!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Your grandpa and I were good friends. I'd been to his house a couple of times..just can't remember the street. Hmm, what was that address? I can see it in my mind's eye...big backyard...3rd house on the left...or maybe the right?...It was just a few blocks away....Um, do you remember that old address?? :cool: Just kidding, of course!

Love fresh tomatoes in February!
    Funny thing is, back in the late '70s-early '80s Grandpa had a stroke and forgot all about his jars :O I kept telling him and he kept ignoring me....yet for some odd reason he kept finding jars of silver in the yard....for at least the next 10-12 years!

Top Bottom