• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    No, it wasn't us thank goodness! Like the title says.... The NRA takes a little flak for refusing to allow live ammo in the classroom. This is a good example why. It's like the old fire triangle... you need a gun, ammo, and a person for a gun to fire. Eliminate any one side of the triangle and you can't have a negligent discharge.

Pastor shot during gun safety class - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Facepalm.gif

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Modesto police said the two were acting out a scenario when a loaded gun the instructor was holding accidentally went off. The pastor was shot in the abdomen.

Police said the gun fired at the end of class, after the instructor put a mock gun down and picked up his real, loaded gun. They said so far it’s unclear if the instructor believed he was using the mock gun he had been using to teach the class.

Well I guess that's one way to teach them.

I think this instructor needs to find a new line of work.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Let's not ignore the fact that all three of the basic safety rules were broken by the" instructor" and the definition of accident in no way applies to any of this situation. I understand what you are saying about it looking bad for us and I know the LEFT puts us all in one basket but I'm not accepting any blame for an ID by anyone.. If I were to have my train of thought completely derailed and do something this stupid I certainly wouldn't anyone else to shoulder the burden of me being an idiot.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    FTA:
    Modesto police said the two were acting out a scenario when a loaded gun the instructor was holding accidentally went off. The pastor was shot in the abdomen.

It just magically... went off... all by itself.

This sounds like a bad idea, with an ND just waiting to happen. Why would you EVER have a mock gun and a live, loaded gun in the same place, for the same scenario? Why would you EVER create a situation in which you could even POSSIBLY point a live, loaded gun at someone?

Doesn't sound like a very safe "safety" class.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have seen something similar to this happen.
    Nonfiring props and the real thing should never be in the same area.
    It's too easy to make a mistake like this.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    No, it wasn't us thank goodness! Like the title says.... The NRA takes a little flak for refusing to allow live ammo in the classroom. This is a good example why. It's like the old fire triangle... you need a gun, ammo, and a person for a gun to fire. Eliminate any one side of the triangle and you can't have a negligent discharge.

Pastor shot during gun safety class - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

I guess, I am up one on this instructor, I have never shot anyone, instructing them, or not .....

VET your instructors, accordingly .....

ALL certified instructors, sense of HUMOR, PLEASE !!!!!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You never allow a real gun, loaded or otherwise, in a training environment when role playing.

Read more here: Modesto pastor recovering from accidental gunshot in firearm-safety class | The Modesto Bee

An instructor who doesn't know, or didn't follow, basic safety rules for proper use of training props shot someone WITH A REAL GUN. Not a blue gun.

Before I use a blue gun to demonstrate, I hold it up and verify that it is a blue gun. I ask the participants if everyone is satisfied it's a blue gun. Once everyone agrees it is, we proceed.

Blue guns and Sim-guns have their own safety rules. That is not the same thing as treating them like real guns, however. If you don't know what the safety rules for sim training is, then you should not conduct sim training.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If you don't know what the safety rules for sim training is, then you should not conduct sim training.

I've not participated in sim training, but I'm going to say with a degree of confidence that using actual firearms for sim training is not within the rules.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    But the pastor sought out training.
    How could it ever be a bad?

The instructor, whatever his certifications.............shot the pastor, and the pastor lived.

Damn if you can't kill 'em at spittin' distance.

Top Bottom