• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    My EDC is an XDM9c which is great in this weather, but will be less and less convenient as it warms up. Also, I'd like something more discreet when performing some of my pastoralduties where I'd prefer not to print at all. I've narrowed my choices down to a Sig P238 and a S&W Bodyguard 380. This will be a pocket carry as well as a Sunday morning carry for me.

I really like both for the reasons that make them unique. I also have issues or concerns about both because of certain issues. I would love to hear from people with PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with either of these.

Issues I considered in this choice:
    1) price
    2) size
    3) weight
    4) ease of use for my wife

Things I don't want to hear about:
    1) 9mm is better than 380
    2) penetration
    3) how 'close' any 9mm is in size or weight (because none REALLY are)

Thanks for your help

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I feel the body guard is a better pocket gun, less shape. I'd check out the LCP too. Very cheap and vanishes with a desentis pocket holster.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I understand your dilema. I am a Deacon at my church and currently carry a KelTec P3AT chambered in .380. It is very easy to conceal in front pants pocket with limited print. It also has a belt clip where you can where IWB. I highly recomend this gun for what your application is.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Considered a .38 wheel gun but the gun will be carried by the wife part time and she doesn't like wheel guns.
    We share many things in a marriage. I'm pretty sure that an EDC piece shouldn't be one of them. If she's going to be carrying, then she needs her own firearm. Otherwise one or the other of you will be unarmed at some point.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    May not be the price range your looking for (around 525 to 550)but have you looked into the Kahr line of pistols? 380 is .75" wide and weighs in at 9.97 oz They actualy have sights on them vs the kel-tec. No saftey to mess with (simple to use) but a long smooth somwhat firm trigger pull.

Kahr also makes a 9mm CM9 which is small (.9" wide, 14 oz)but less expensive. (around 400 I think)

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Another question is whether you have thought about different holsters to carry your M&P. I carry a full size M&P40 while preaching on Sundays concealed under my jacket in a Serpa holster. If I don't have a jacket on, I have a tuckable IWB holster that conceals it just fine. I'm 5'8" and about 200 lbs, and if I can conceal a full size M&P, I would think that you could conceal a M&P9c just fine. The key is finding the right holster.

Oh crud! I just admitted to concealing. :facepalm:

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    Another question is whether you have thought about different holsters to carry your M&P. I carry a full size M&P40 while preaching on Sundays concealed under my jacket in a Serpa holster. If I don't have a jacket on, I have a tuckable IWB holster that conceals it just fine. I'm 5'8" and about 200 lbs, and if I can conceal a full size M&P, I would think that you could conceal a M&P9c just fine. The key is finding the right holster.

Oh crud! I just admitted to concealing. :facepalm:
    I carry my XDM9c in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Would be fine on Sun AM but doesn't really work well for youth and childrens activities where I'm in a t-shirt or more physically active with the kids. The M&P is no smaller than the XDM.

It really needs to be small and light enough for aports shorts in the summer as well. Otherwise I can/could just carry the XDM all of the time since its already paid for!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would not carry a Sig P238 in my pocket. I just wouldn't trust a single-action handgun in my pocket. I know a lot of people may not like them, but I would suggest a Kahr P380 or a Diamond Back DB9 or 380.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    In a situation like this, we just need to ask ourselves - What Would Jesus Carry?

I'm sure you'll have an Epiphany. :)

BTW - Can you get Gopher, Olive or Cedar Wood grips for your 1911?
    Then all you will need are 45 Holy Points and a Camel Skin Holster.
    Just remember - concealing a 1911, would be a Sin.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Our Church also has a pistol packin pastor. The Church even presented him with a Henry lever action .22 as a gift to show their appreciation.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I don't think you need to think about changing your EDC. Perhaps what you wear?
    Not sure about what you wear but in our church only 1 of 5 pastors where a sport coat. All others wear casual to less casual clothing. Button up shirt and jeans would be the norm.

I think you could easily get away with some decent button up shirts designed for conceal carry.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I had a salesman/friend who called on me and he carried some type of semi-auto in a compartment in his appointment book. The book had some room for actual apointments and was thick enough for the gun also. It was about the size of a ..........bible!

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Pretty much what Que said, Sorry I don't have any personal experience with them but that's because I wouldn't own one of them. The DB380 was my choice...

Top Bottom