• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    I finally checked the mail box today. What a surprise! Not only did I receive my permit to carry a handgun by the State of Indiana I received notification of my first US Patent!

After 4 years of debate, the US Patent Office has awarded the following patent. "Axially Propagating Horn Array For A Loudspeakers" #7,590,257

Now I can retire... Plus that 15 year wait...Oh wait kid college loans, mortgage... Never mind! Back to work...

You can see where the patent is used in this Klipsch product.

KS-7502-THX Architectural Speaker - Overview

Life is good... Now I need to understand all the issues with where I can carry and how to wear my pistol. I think I have the holster taken care of for my XD sc.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Yes, congrats on both!!!

Now, the patent thing has raised more questions for me. ;) So since you were awarded the patent, how can Klipsch be using it?

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    Since I am working for Klipsch as a design engineer they claim ownership of my work which includes Intellectual Property (IP). This is pretty typical in the industry. In turn they take care of me as a valued employee. :)

It is now very hard to get a patent. Since a recent supreme court ruling (about 1.5 years ago) they are not giving out many patents as they use to. The claim is that they were too "obvious" which a lot of them were. I am fighting to keep four patent applications right now that they claim are "obvious". We will argue those for several years most likely.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    ahh, I was kind of assuming you might have been an employee, but I didnt know they had anything in Indiana. ;)

thanks!
    clay

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Congrats on both! My fatherin-law keeps some "souvenir" patent drawings on the wall at home, even though Wabash National owns his patent.

Pride of invention may not pay the mortgage, but it truly is priceless. Kudos.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Would it be safe to assume that you have a kickin' speaker set up in your home? Also, my cousin is a patent attorney if you ever need one. Currently, he lives in Phoenix, but he may be moving back to the area soon.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Very cool! A patent is on my list of accomplishments I'd like to achieve, but I'm as I move out of the day to day design engineering ranks into the dreaded ranks of "management," it may be a tougher thing to achieve.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Congratulations on both!!, my wife bought me a Klipsch 7.1 surround sound system for Valentines day, they are some great speakers, good luck with the continuing fight on the other patents.

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    Would it be safe to assume that you have a kickin' speaker set up in your home? Also, my cousin is a patent attorney if you ever need one. Currently, he lives in Phoenix, but he may be moving back to the area soon.

Let's just say that my wife complains when I bring more speaker home. It usually is a question: "and where are you going to put those". So let me know if you need any. I have decided that there are more places to "store" guns because they are smaller.

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    Very cool! A patent is on my list of accomplishments I'd like to achieve, but I'm as I move out of the day to day design engineering ranks into the dreaded ranks of "management," it may be a tougher thing to achieve.

Then again a lot of managers co-author patents. It works well at employee review time. :twocents:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Let's just say that my wife complains when I bring more speaker home. It usually is a question: "and where are you going to put those". So let me know if you need any. I have decided that there are more places to "store" guns because they are smaller.
    Let you know if I need any?! Please, elaborate...

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I finally checked the mail box today. What a surprise! Not only did I receive my permit to carry a handgun by the State of Indiana I received notification of my first US Patent!

After 4 years of debate, the US Patent Office has awarded the following patent. "Axially Propagating Horn Array For A Loudspeakers" #7,590,257

Now I can retire... Plus that 15 year wait...Oh wait kid college loans, mortgage... Never mind! Back to work...

You can see where the patent is used in this Klipsch product.

KS-7502-THX Architectural Speaker - Overview

Life is good... Now I need to understand all the issues with where I can carry and how to wear my pistol. I think I have the holster taken care of for my XD sc.
    Congrats on both!!

And if you'd like a one-day course on Indiana's gun laws, which includes a detailed discussion of where you can and cannot carry with your LTCH (as well as Indiana's rules related to the use of deadlly force, etc.) check out the "INGO-Only" Indiana Gun Law Class listed in the INGO Events forum. Also see Home Page.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I love Klipsch speaker systems. I had an awesome basement home theater in Colorado powered by Klipsch.

If you've got extras lying around.. let me know!!!!

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    Congrats on both!!

And if you'd like a one-day course on Indiana's gun laws, which includes a detailed discussion of where you can and cannot carry with you LTCH (as well as Indiana's rules related to the use of deadlly force, etc.) check out the "INGO-Only" Indiana Gun Law Class listed in the INGO Events forum. Also see Home Page.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice GunLawyer. And if I don't follow the rules I am guessing from your handle that I need to call you? :rolleyes:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom