• ...and so much more!
  • TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Very late and disappointing update.

Work has gotten heavy, and I am now up to working 11-12 hour days at my warehouse job, have not been able to get ahold of Ivy Tech due to coming home and crashing (or blowing all my time on here :D), and will try to leave early in the next few days and head to the Ivy Tech that I just discovered is only 10 minutes away now.

I have started abusing my work and received a free Rosetta Stone program, all 5 levels, and am working on spanish as of now. (I can say cat, milk and shoes now!)

I have a friend at IUPUI and I will talk to her about the Cadet Program and see if she has a friend or two currently in it that I can get ahold of.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Gato, leche, los zapatos :D

Here's a thought. Try applying to IDOC. You'll work a 12 hour shift (which you're already doing now for the most part), and they offer tuition reimbursement up to 75%. PLUS, when you graduate the Academy training, you get 6 credits to ISU, which MIGHT transfer to Ivy Tech. It's worth looking into. Good luck!

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Gato, leche, los zapatos :D

Here's a thought. Try applying to IDOC. You'll work a 12 hour shift (which you're already doing now for the most part), and they offer tuition reimbursement up to 75%. PLUS, when you graduate the Academy training, you get 6 credits to ISU, which MIGHT transfer to Ivy Tech. It's worth looking into. Good luck!

I'll take a look at IDOC now. Working there will definitely do more for me than working where I am now, plus I have to fight with my boss over working an extra hour, 12 hours shifts would be nice.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Month Update:

I have decided to go with the University of Phoenix's online program with Criminal Justice. Hopefully, Jason, the guy I talked to, will be able to get a little more specific on classes. Awaiting a call for Thursday, and will be signed up, hopefully, for classes to start in January! :D

The course that caught my eye is the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration, which concentrates on Human Services. Would this be about what I'm looking for, or is there something else to keep my eye out for?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Has Indiana ever published a book with the laws in it?

Yes, every year.

TJ, most of Titles 7, 9 and 35 are published in a mini-book form by the Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys' Council (IPAC) and given to the police.

The IPDC also publishes one and maybe someone here has an extra copy? Who? Who would be so cool as to mail you one? If only INGO had a person this cool! *whistles, looks around*

PM your address and I can help an aspiring INGO LEO. You can pay me back by helping unload the rail car full of ammo that rhino is sending me for Christmas.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Month Update:

I have decided to go with the University of Phoenix's online program with Criminal Justice. Hopefully, Jason, the guy I talked to, will be able to get a little more specific on classes. Awaiting a call for Thursday, and will be signed up, hopefully, for classes to start in January! :D

The course that caught my eye is the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration, which concentrates on Human Services. Would this be about what I'm looking for, or is there something else to keep my eye out for?

Don't do this. If "Online" is the reason for doing this then Ivy Tech offers a ton of classes online. Most of them actually are offered online that I've seen. Lobo is right about University of Phoenix, not something that makes you stand out on an application. Probably cost more than Ivy tech too (But I wouldn't know, haven't looked that deep into it).

Also, keep in mind your competition..I heard somewhere maybe officer.com that Brownsburg PD who recently accepted applicants had to turn down people with both Degrees and military experience because of the volume of applicants. You need to find a way to stand out!

Good luck!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    That was a bit harsh. :n00b:

I was going to type almost the exact same thing!! :D

Tell you what, go ahead and send me your cash instead of sending it to Lobo. I'll spend it, not burn it.

I would strongly advise against sending money to the "University of Phoenix." I also don't even care to call Ivy Tech, Purdue, and IU "real" universities, depending on what degree you get. They offer all kinds of petty, worthless pieces of paper. IU and Purdue push liberal educations. Not liberal in the political sense, but liberal as in "well rounded." Thus even if you are getting a good degree that will teach you a good skill (computer programming, chemistry, biology, etc.), they will make you take worthless classes that have nothing to do with your degree.

You are better off sticking with Ivy Tech. They even offer on-line programs as well. If you do any on-line degree for a bachelor's, I would strongly advise to use only WGU via the state of Indiana: Indiana Online Degree | Indiana Online University | WGU Indiana

The only reason I would recommend them is because if the state is pushing that, and if they are pushing that at the same time you are applying to various jobs, the state jobs you might apply for (Excise, State police, etc.) might give you an extra look for using the state's chosen on-line degree program.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Lobo is right. Don't get a Criminal Justice degree, especially from University of Phoenix. You will be much better off with a degree in accounting, psychology, computer science, etc. A criminal justice degree doesn't really teach you anything you need to know about being a police officer. It will introduce you to some aspects of the legal field and some basic information, but you'll learn the useful stuff at the academy and in FTO anyway. Besides, if you get some time in on a good department you may decide to apply to the FBI, DEA, BATFE, etc. and a degree in one of the fields I mentioned will go a long way. Even if you decide to stay local there may be more avenues available to you with a degree in something other than criminal justice. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to let you learn from my mistakes.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Yes, every year.

TJ, most of Titles 7, 9 and 35 are published in a mini-book form by the Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys' Council (IPAC) and given to the police.

The IPDC also publishes one and maybe someone here has an extra copy? Who? Who would be so cool as to mail you one? If only INGO had a person this cool! *whistles, looks around*

PM your address and I can help an aspiring INGO LEO. You can pay me back by helping unload the rail car full of ammo that rhino is sending me for Christmas.
    A minor correction to Mr. Freeman's otherwise very good post: Those little code books are not GIVEN to LEO's by IPAC. Each county's prosecutor can buy them at like $5 each for distribution as s/he sees fit. The giving is done by your local prosecutor.

I have the full set of those little gems going back to 1997. They are like gold around here.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Those little code books are not GIVEN to LEO's by IPAC. Each county's prosecutor can buy them at like $5 each for distribution as s/he sees fit. The giving is done by your local prosecutor.

I never said the books were given to the police by IPAC. However,

TJ, most of Titles 7, 9 and 35 are published in a mini-book form by the Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys' Council (IPAC) and given to the police [by the elected Prosecuting Attorney of that Judicial Circuit].

I can see where I was less than clear, not happily drafted at all.:D

HB is correct. I apologize for any confusion that I caused by not finishing my thought.

Thanks for the clarification, HB.:ingo:

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    In today's job market a bachelors degree is not worth much, they are becoming increasingly more common. Employers are looking for job experience and education. You need to get some sort of higher education and then get a job in the LE field. Dispatching is a good way to gain experience and network. You could also look at being a reserve or working in a jail. You need to do some ride alongs as well.

Top Bottom